Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 SR+ RWD - awful audio quality?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
After the two months of wait I finally got my hands on my M3 SR+ Rwd! Awesome car, but I was equally shocked by its dreadful audio quality. I initially thought the speakers were defective, but it seems the general feedback is that the audio on this model is known to be this bad.
What are your thoughts, and what tricks have you got to improve the sound without any serious mods that would break the factory warranty?

Would Tesla allow paid audio upgrades in futute? And what's the deal with the non functioning tweeters in A-pillar ???

Cheers,

Hard to know exactly what you are hearing, but …

I rented a SR+ on Turo, and found the audio quality to be quite good, better than the BMW I had previously had.

My LR AWD has absolutely outstanding audio, so clear and with such a realistic soundstage. The only problem is that the noise coming into the car at highway speeds starts to intrude, more that would probably be the case on other high end cars.

Are the extra speakers just ones that are not included in your trim level?

Reactions: Ron_M3 and yhc21

I rented a SR+ on Turo, and found the audio quality to be quite good, better than the BMW I had previously had.

My LR AWD has absolutely outstanding audio, so clear and with such a realistic soundstage. The only problem is that the noise coming into the car at highway speeds starts to intrude, more that would probably be the case on other high end cars.

i do wonder if tesla cant just add some active noise canceling via the microphone.

Reactions: yhc21
If you searched the model 3 section for "audio quality" you would likely find more than 30 threads that talk about what you are asking about. Here is some to get you started:

There are pages (and pages and pages) more though.

Reactions: toshman and yhc21
If you searched the model 3 section for "audio quality" you would likely find more than 30 threads that talk about what you are asking about. Here is some to get you started:

There are pages (and pages and pages) more though.
Thanks, I really don't want to add or mod anything 'hardware' wise at this stage.. wished if they could allow users to opt in for audio upgrade...

This is what happens when you tune the audio for 15 speakers but then leave off 7 of them, including the subwoofer. Did they really think only half an audio system would sound good?

the problem was that the SR+ was just too good of a car. It had essentially all the features the "luxury" LR version had but for much less.
Tesla dropped all the standard non premium features for the SR but realized that it was much more expensive to build 2 different vehicle types (and harder to have i.e. no glass roof).

Reactions: yhc21

Yeh the version you rented (LR AWD) has premium audio so I would think it would have been good. Unfortunately, SR+ RWD on the other hand has partial premium trim with not-premium-at-all audio setup which is quite disappointing