Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 SR+ Snow tires how to

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys it's me again. So I just took delivery a couple weeks ago and I'm looking to get snow tires on my car ASAP since I live in Maryland. I'm wondering what the process is for swapping tires on the tesla.

Just from googling it seems like it is a little more difficult than just going to pep boys and getting tires put on, is this the case? More specifically, do I have to buy new wheels along with a TPMS just to swap to the winter tires? Or can I just just buy the tires and have them put on to the wheels as is?

Also I saw most links pointing to the Michelin X-ice Xi3s with this be good enough? I also saw a post saying to go with the 19 inch tires as opposed to the 18 inch ones because of something with the TMPS is this true?

I am a woman and don't know much about cars, but I really want to just order some snow tires, have them installed and be on my way as I use my car for business purposes.

Thanks!

Maryland... snow tires? Really? TBH, this is a rare case where I'd suggest you stick with one set of tires all year....I don't think its worth the trouble.

Yes, X-Ice3's are fine.

I always get a second set of rims to install the tires on, if only to avoid the hassle and expense of having a tire shop do the swap. If you aren't going to want to swap the wheels yourself, some of that argument is gone. The expense is conservatively $120 per year, assuming a $15 tire swap charge(times four tires, twice a year)

18" vs 19" has nothing to do with TPMS. The sensors just measure air pressure. There's a notably larger selection of snow tires available for the 18" wheel sizes.

Make sure pep boys or whoever can safely lift the car. There are specific jacking points and an adapter that is supposed to be used with those points.

Maryland... snow tires? Really? TBH, this is a rare case where I'd suggest you stick with one set of tires all year....I don't think its worth the trouble.

Yes, X-Ice3's are fine.

I always get a second set of rims to install the tires on, if only to avoid the hassle and expense of having a tire shop do the swap. If you aren't going to want to swap the wheels yourself, some of that argument is gone. The expense is conservatively $120 per year, assuming a $15 tire swap charge(times four tires, twice a year)

18" vs 19" has nothing to do with TPMS. The sensors just measure air pressure. There's a notably larger selection of snow tires available for the 18" wheel sizes.

Make sure pep boys or whoever can safely lift the car. There are specific jacking points and an adapter that is supposed to be used with those points.

Thanks for the reply! So the other the day I was driving in a round about and drove on the slightest patch of ice and the car reacted. Wasn't speeding, so I really don't want to take the risk. I rent my car on turo.. would you recommend the tires in a case like that?

Also why do you get the extra rims? Sorry I'm just a little confused about the process, when I had my jeep I just went to the shop and they popped the new tires on to the rims I already had. I'm really wanting to have the winter tires tomorrow if possible.

Highly recommend snow tires in your situation, the difference they make is tough to overstate.

I went through this last month with mine, and like you I'm a relative neophyte to snow tires and rims. I went with aftermarket wheels because I was too cheap to pay for Tesla OEM Aeros, and so far I'm happy with the results. I ordered mine off of www.tirerack.com, and they have a great system for building a winter tire and wheel package. You input your cars specs and they give you options for both wheels and tires that will fit.

I did a lot of research on different winter tires, but after reading the ratings on Consumer Reports as well as other tire review sites went with the much cheaper General Altimax Arctic tire. At $145 each, they had ratings equivalent to the better brands such as Bridgestone and Michelin. After one month in a Minnesota winter I am not disappointed, these things are a huge upgrade in snow/ice performance over the factory all season tires.

TPMS sensors are important, but they are completely irrespective of the wheel size. I'm not an expert on their selection, but both Discount Tire as well as TireRack.com will bundle compatible sensors with a tire and wheel package. Tire Rack mounts and balances the tires, as well as installing the sensors, for no charge and shipping charges are included with their pricing. I've attached a shot of my invoice so you have an understanding of what all is needed, but for a frugal guy like myself I would say these were well worth the cost.

Annotation 2019-12-22 172838.png

It can be as simple as it was with your prior car. Just swap tires for winter and spring driving on the existing rims.

It takes 4-5 years to recover the cost of a wheel and tire package.

Michelin, Pirelli and General are excellent options for you. They all have the XL load rating that Tesla recommends.

Hey guys it's me again. So I just took delivery a couple weeks ago and I'm looking to get snow tires on my car ASAP since I live in Maryland. I'm wondering what the process is for swapping tires on the tesla.

Just from googling it seems like it is a little more difficult than just going to pep boys and getting tires put on, is this the case? More specifically, do I have to buy new wheels along with a TPMS just to swap to the winter tires? Or can I just just buy the tires and have them put on to the wheels as is?

Also I saw most links pointing to the Michelin X-ice Xi3s with this be good enough? I also saw a post saying to go with the 19 inch tires as opposed to the 18 inch ones because of something with the TMPS is this true?

I am a woman and don't know much about cars, but I really want to just order some snow tires, have them installed and be on my way as I use my car for business purposes.

Thanks!
There is no difference in putting tires on a Tesla then any other car. You can get just tires and have them re mounted to your wheels, or tires/wheels/TPMS.

Reactions: holmgang
Thanks for the reply! So the other the day I was driving in a round about and drove on the slightest patch of ice and the car reacted. Wasn't speeding, so I really don't want to take the risk. I rent my car on turo.. would you recommend the tires in a case like that?

Also why do you get the extra rims? Sorry I'm just a little confused about the process, when I had my jeep I just went to the shop and they popped the new tires on to the rims I already had. I'm really wanting to have the winter tires tomorrow if possible.

I get the extra rims because I don't want to waste an hour or two hanging around at a tire shop every November and March, when I would be spending at least $60 or more to get the winters swapped to summers(or vice-versa). With the extra rims and my own garage(not a mechanic-garage, just a house-garage with a jack et. al.), I can swap from summer to winter or back in less than an hour, whenever I like. I get tires mounted only when I buy new tires.

I guess with Turo I'd probably get winter tires. It still won't guarantee someone won't crash your 3, but it'll be much better than all-seasons.

It used to be that Costco would do the tire-swap-remount for free if you bought your new tires there, every time you swapped! I'm not sure if they still do, I sort of doubt it.

Reactions: Ejl80
I lived in the DC/NVA area for years and the snow in MD could be bad only because they get enough of it and don't know how to handle it. Coming from the upstate NY area and seeing the county snow plows in ditches or the rich snobby folks think 4WD/AWD saves them was hilarious. I would agree to get the whole set with the rims too, it's just so much easier than fighting with swapping if you can afford and store them.

Completely agree, traction is a lot more important than four-wheel-drive. I would put my RWD Model 3 against any of the 4WD/AWDs I've owned, and there been more than a few. This is only my second vehicle with snow tires, the first was on a Prius which was also AMAZING in snow compared to the rest.

Tires > AWD

Coming from the upstate NY area and seeing the county snow plows in ditches or the rich snobby folks think 4WD/AWD saves them was hilarious.

It takes a certain kind of person to find humor in the misery of others.:(

I'm sure Karma will get me for one or two of them but when you have to explain that AWD/4WD doesn't make you safe from slipping.......and when you've been rear ended by someone that twists it as your fault for not having a Mercedes after she smashes into you. Faith in humanity fades...

Reactions: TomB985

Yes, X-Ice3's are fine.

Maryland gets plenty of snow / ice.

I have X-Ice3s here in NJ and they work just fine OP.