TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

M3 Steering Wheel Functionality

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by PRSIST, Jun 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

Has anybody taken a close look at the steering wheel pictures that have been posted? I see the small round buttons or rollers on each side of the steering wheel, but has anybody noticed the bottom of the steering wheel?? Does that look like a touch pad like on a laptop computer?? Now that would add some functionality to all the toys!!

2. frozenpenguin

frozenpenguin Member

That's the airbag. You can see the word "airbag" in the photo from last night.

3. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

I know what an airbag looks like. It's the bottom spoke of the steering wheel. It appears to be glossy like a laptop computer touchscreen. Just asking?

4. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

It's possible, but I think that would be the worst place to put a touch pad. I think the "glossy" appearance is just that, an appearance of the material used.

5. Big-T

Big-T Member

I'm sure I'll get my share of dislikes but it's just an ugly steering wheel. There I said it.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
  6. Zaphod

But you won't care, it's a taxi :p

• Funny x 3
  7. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

A touchpad (or any gimmick) located there would serve no real purpose and would just add cost to a vehicle that is supposed to be cost-conscious. I'm just happy there are thumb controls there.

• Like x 2
  8. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

What possible purpose would a touch pad on the steering wheel serve? It would be too small and too inconveniently placed to be of much use.

• Like x 2
  9. North75

North75 Member

As many have stated already, I'm wondering if these are the final version of the steering wheel.
    My main concern is that there are absolutely no markings around the scroll wheel ball things. I can't think of any other steering wheels that don't have some kind of labels associated with the controls.
    I suspect the actual steering wheels will be similar. Same basic shape and controls, but I'm expecting (hoping?) that the materials and finish will be a little nicer.

• Like x 1
  10. Zaphod

But if the scroll wheels perform multiple functions, what would they be labeled as?

• Like x 4
  11. MarioOrtegon

MarioOrtegon Member

Also, printed labels on the controls are not upgrade able via a SW download, so in case that they want to change the controls functions Tesla can just push a software update

• Like x 1
  12. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

Probably context-aware with a big software "meter" on the left edge of the screen. If you have TACC on, cruise speed. If you're playing audio, volume on left and station/track on right. Maybe push-and-hold for voice control.

It's like the old iPod wheel: depending on your context, it does different things.

• Like x 2
  13. N5329K

N5329K Member

I had a feature-rich clock radio like that, where the same buttons did different things depending on order of use and context. It made the simplest things ridiculously complicated.
    Is this where I yell at kids to get off my lawn?
    Robin

• Funny x 3
  14. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

any idea how those scroll wheels interact with the infotainment system? seems like its going to be a PITA to do simple tasks in the model 3 that my 5 year old honda can do easily from the steering wheel -- like change volume or radio station.

15. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury Member

I'm imagining something like an etch-a-sketch

• Funny x 2
  16. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

It shouldn't be any harder to do stuff than any other car. Like @ikjadoon mentioned, it'll be context sensitive. You might have to change the context using one of the wheels but then the other wheel will perform functions based on that context. Or, there could be dedicated controls on the back of the steering wheel for common functions like volume, answer/disconnect a call, etc.

• Like x 1
  17. favo

favo Model 3 Reservation Holder

Most likely, the wheels scroll vertically and can be pushed in to select an entry. Judging from the apparent rubberized section, they may also be able to move right and left like arrows keys. So more or less functionally equivalent to a D-pad. On Model S/X, I think you can press a scroll wheel to show a list of possible control functions (volume, station, pano roof, etc.), select the function, and then that wheel controls that function (volume up/down, etc.). Owners please jump in and correct me.

18. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

The wheel pictured is just a dummy to keep you guys chattering. Elon said it will look like a spaceship......wait and see.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  19. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

Seriously ppl why are you still debating this? We solved this question weeks ago. Left scroll wheel is for acceleration/braking/reverse, right wheel for steering left/right. Shmon, guis

20. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

That kinda makes sense, except the main screen doesn't really have a linear menu. that would be like using the tab key to select an icon on your desktop -- unless there is some sort of menu overlay when the steering wheel dials are used which would be slightly better. even still, i envision pressing a dedicated button to be more intuitive than scrolling through to find sound, then motioning to raise or lower.