Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3: Strange sleeping behavior when parked at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Some of us European model 3 owners see some strange sleeping behaviors that we con not explain..

When parking on route on or favorite and taged locations the cars goes to sleep after 12m-15m
When parked at home it takes the car always 2:05h -2:07h to get to sleep.

Meanwile it spoils energy up to 1kwh during that 2h.
If you come home multiple times a day you can do the math :)

What is going on? Why won't it goes to sleep at home faster?. Sentry is disabled and no HVAC is on. Charger is not connected and i have the latest firmware

We use teslafi to monitor the idle > sleep behavior

try disabling wifi to see if its better. My guess (just a guess), is that the car is at home, on wifi, staying up, uploading data to tesla / checking for updates.
Will try that. i want to share data with Tesla but not if it cost me up to 4 kwh a day.
If this behavior is "as designed" there a lot of gigawatts down the drain on tesla's world wide.

Thanks for your answer

Update notifications come in through LTE. When the car does sleep, WIFI is turned off.
WIFI will come on to do the download of the update (after it's triggered).
Check your settings on “ share data”

If you choose “ yes” data is shared with Tesla (video clips/sentry clips /alarm data / drive statistics for evaluation). I think this is done when connected to WiFi because of the bulk of data. Alarm data is stored 72h on Tesla servers.

I have disabled data sharing for drive statistics and enabled traffic information etc.

Don’t know if that will stop the idle > sleep time beyond 15min when parked at home on a WiFi connection.
Maybe i a wrong....will see

Reactions: mswlogo
Well......choose NO with option share data with tesla was not the solution.
With this option off still idle>sleep took +2h when at home and connected to the wifi.

Permanent solution is to forget your wifi network. Turn on or off does not have any affect because it restoRe it self to on again after shuting down the car.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Well......choose NO with option share data with tesla was not the solution.
With this option off still idle>sleep took +2h when at home and connected to the wifi.

Permanent solution is to forget your wifi network. Turn on or off does not have any affect because it restoRe it self to on again after shuting down the car.
Yeah I found pretty much the same thing. I actually put my car on its own SSID and just turn that off until I see the update available icon in the car. That way I don't have to type the password in over and over again for updates.

• Informative
Reactions: DucaTinus
I've noticed that my car goes to sleep much faster after a charging session than if I pull into my driveway and don't charge. Maybe that's because it doesn't sleep when it's charging, so it's doing whatever it's doing when it's not asleep while it's charging. In any event, this is another argument on the "plug it in all the time" side of the question of when and how often to charge.

Reactions: DucaTinus
I've noticed that my car goes to sleep much faster after a charging session than if I pull into my driveway and don't charge. Maybe that's because it doesn't sleep when it's charging, so it's doing whatever it's doing when it's not asleep while it's charging. In any event, this is another argument on the "plug it in all the time" side of the question of when and how often to charge.
Interesting to know what the car is doing when pluged in and not charging?

OK, took the test. Removed my wifi network from the car yesterday.
After coming home, the car fell as sleep within 12 minutes and kept sleeping whole night.
No drain because of the WIFI connection. This will save me at least 1kwh each day.

Will check if this bug is fixed in feature software updates. I reported this energy drain to tesla.

Last edited:
What do you mean with on it's own ssid?
I don't know what @justsomeguy 's set-up is, but I have a TP-Link nano router wifi extender in my garage.
It has it's own wifi name [SSID], separate from the House's wifi network.
This means I can access the TP-Link via it's ip address and flip the wifi on and off by simply unticking the "Enable" option and rebooting it.
When off, the car goes to sleep in just a few minutes.

Well i after almost a week there is no idle drain more when arriving at home
I forget the Wifi network in the car and it goes to sleep in 12 minutes.
Normally the 2:05h idle > sleep would cost me 600w-900w for each idle > sleep at home. The 12 minutes (with WIFI forget) idle > sleep now cost me only 80w.

Worth checking this if you can monitor this

• Informative
Reactions: tkc9789
My car rarely sleeps in my garage as far as I can tell, and the vampire drain matches this behavior (is high).

I read about things to shut off: sentry, summon, data sharing (will the Tesla app continue working?), USB, WiFi. Is that about it?

What I was wondering is whether it is normal for the car to breathe (run air and what not) when I am near. Is it just reacting to the vicinity of the phone and then goes quiet after I leave the garage? Every time I walk into the garage, it is making one noise or another.