Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Struts for Trunk/Frunk Auto-Lift

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s been quite a bit of discussion on various threads about replacement struts but couldn’t find a dedicated one.

Has anyone successfully replaced the OEM struts for after-market ones and really happy with the results?

The struts themselves can be bought for as little as £10 a pair which seems very surprising given the job they are performing.

Some issues I’ve read about after replacement include:

- the frunk/trunk being difficult to close
- the struts failing to operate after some days/weeks
- the frunk opening violently and vibrating like a tuning fork
- possibility of frunk bending/distorting after repeated closure due to stiff struts
- people going back to the OEM solution due to the issues they’ve had

Just wondering if anyone has discovered a high quality product that delivers reliable smooth opening and doesn’t provide too much resistance when closing the trunk/frunk?

Also, where do we stand with warranty when making this type of mod?

• Informative
Reactions: Mark77a and CMc1
Bought the frunk and trunk struts.

Not received the trunk yet

Frunk I received from Amazon, Lesgos brand cost about £16. Sent back today as they do not work. Not worth the money. Looking at pictures on Amazon they all seem to be the same, just under different brand names.

The ones that do work are the ones Brian from i1 Tesla uses but hard to source here.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyErik
Trying to consolidate potential strut options.

Taptes Pneumatic Hood Supports for Tesla Model 3 - $24.99
Pneumatic Hood Supports for Tesla Model 3

Abstract Ocean Trunk Strut Upgrade for Model 3 - $25.99 - product has only just become available
Trunk Strut Upgrade for Model 3

Evannex Trunk lift - $69.95 - currently sold out
Trunk Lift: Pneumatic Hood Supports for Tesla Model 3 (set of two)
Evannex Frunk lift - $49.95
Frunk Lift: Pneumatic Hood Supports for Tesla Model 3 (set of two)

BougeRV Trunk Lift - £31.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BougeRV-Au...ords=model+3+trunk+lift&qid=1571218848&sr=8-8)

I've avoided listing other cheap strut products from Amazon/eBay as it sounds like they should be avoided like the plague.

Any other good quality strut option that could be added to the list above?

Has anyone fitted any of the above products? If you have, could you provide feedback and if possible a video of the open and close operation.

The Evannex struts have the highest price point. Can we assume these the are best quality struts currently available?

[Not sure why we're even discussing replacing struts on a brand new £40K+ car! ;)]

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and Roy W.
I see that Abstact Ocean now have rear strut replacements for the Model 3 at $25.99. Hopefully these will be the sort of quality we need and expect.

They also have an installation video, which I watched on YouTube in the car :D

I have a coupon code for $10 off your first order at Abstract Ocean - send me a message if you want it.

(To send me a message touch my username, then touch Start a Conversation.)

Reactions: pmg102
I installed the BougeRV front trunk struts from Amazon last night and they work as expected, opening the lid every time as soon as the latch is unlocked from the phone app or the Tesla "Drive" app I just installed on my Samsung Galaxy watch. They are definitely much, much better than the cheaper lesgos struts also from Amazon that I had to return last Friday.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07X8V53BG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_wEWPDbW03QV04

If I go for rear trunk struts then I would probably try the BougeRV ones linked in elecTED's post above.

I installed the BougeRV front trunk struts from Amazon last night and they work as expected, opening the lid every time as soon as the latch is unlocked from the phone app or the Tesla "Drive" app I just installed on my Samsung Galaxy watch. They are definitely much, much better than the cheaper lesgos struts also from Amazon that I had to return last Friday.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07X8V53BG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_wEWPDbW03QV04

If I go for rear trunk struts then I would probably try the BougeRV ones linked in elecTED's post above.
That is very useful info, thanks. I am very tempted. When closing the frunk do they require more effort to close and latch? That is my last remaining concern on the front ones, since the bonnet is fiddly to close with the stock (and presumably less sprung) front struts already.

Yes KennethS, you can definitely feel a bit more resistance from them as you start to pull the trunk lid down, when the struts are at their maximum extent.

However, as the lid comes down, that resistance feels less and less and by the time you are using both hands to push the lid down and latch it, the effort does not feel any more than the stock struts. I have already ordered the lighter spring mentioned elsewhere on these forums, as I am hoping that will make the final latching action a bit easier and more like the way I want. I was not happy with the effort to latch trhe lid closed using the OEM struts, and I don't think that is made any worse by the more powerful BougeRV struts.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and KennethS
I've found a circumstance where allowing the boot to open in an uncontrolled manner may cause a problem.

Reversing up to a local charger, to the rear was a 'EV charging only' sign on a pole. Whilst we were close, but still some distance from the pole, as we opened the boot to get the charge cable out, the lip of the boot very narrowly missed hitting the sign. I've not measured the overlap of boot lid, but from this observation (in very wet weather conditions), I would say that being close to a tall object or wall at rear of car risks boot lid hitting that object when the boot lid is raised.

I seriously can see these spring struts eventually bending the trunk main hing mounts or shearing the bolts or similar. They would have certified the closer mechanisms for hand pressure only and not the need to overcome spring force too. This will keep weight down etc as otherwise you need thicker main beams on them.
I'll wait untill I see or hear reports of peoples boots and frunks cracking and or bending thanks to these things before I get one I think.

Reactions: Roy W.
Seriously, how much force do you think is being applied here??? The mount points will have been tested to forces orders of magnitude higher that what’s being talked about. You don’t want a scally just pulling your frunk or boot up do you, or it coming open during a crash.

I’ve fitted rear struts. Nothing is going to bend or break.

worst case scenario it will be the plastic around the strut itself will break (which I’m doubtful of).

The main reason for these things not being standard is that people will forget and open up when there isn’t enough clearance. Other cars have sensors to stop this, these cost money. When you fit then you take the risk.

I see that Abstact Ocean now have rear strut replacements for the Model 3 at $25.99. Hopefully these will be the sort of quality we need and expect.

They also have an installation video, which I watched on YouTube in the car :D

I have a coupon code for $10 off your first order at Abstract Ocean - send me a message if you want it.

(To send me a message touch my username, then touch Start a Conversation.)

Did you get these yet ?

Has anyone installed a decent set of frunk and trunk struts that you are completely happy with and don’t intend to switch back to the OEM ones?

No, but I have installed a couple of furnk and trunk ones that didn't work reliably. Both returned to Amazon for refund. They sometimes opened but the biggest problem was the violent stopping at the end of travel. Both sets didn't have the end of travel damping that the Tesla's have.

I reverted back to standard.