Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Struts for Trunk/Frunk Auto-Lift

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Abstract Ocean sells struts that are stronger than the OEM ones, so can lift the frunk and trunk on their own. You don’t get auto close of course, but they cost $30 instead of like $500, and they are much easier to install and require no electrics.

Zero issues so far. Would purchase again. Obviously no closing option but then, mine only took 5 minutes to fit.
Thank you Pagemakers, I took delivery and just installed mine, works perfectly!
It's a bit stiff to close - swinging the trunk down using the internal trunk handle doesn't quite cut it, need to push down externally from the top middle. Perhaps this will get more slack over time?
PS the Strongarm struts for the Grand Cherokee seems to work well for the frunk but does anyone know where to source these here?
https://www.amazon.com/StrongArm-6304PR-Grand-Cherokee-Support/dp/B074G8NJX3/

Last edited:
Just an update to this:
The VXDAS Trunk struts now only work 60% of the time and there is a "metal warping" noise coming from one side of the trunk on opening and closing. Looking at the latest reviews from the US this seems to be an issue with version 2 (i1Tesla appeared to use V1), which also means closing is much more difficult with V2.
I've returned the struts and gone back to the originals (which now feel like an upgrade!!). Still keen on a solution if it's out there!

As a vendor who tested these struts from more than 15 manufactures (as many as I can find, manufactures, not retailers), I think I could have something to share.

In short, I don't think there is a "perfect" version of this product in the market due to its nature: compressed gas/air.

The ones we are selling is the best-balanced one we could found, which can open during wintertime and still have a soft-open effect. However, due to the nature of compressed gas, if the frunk/trunk need to be opened during low temperature, means the struts will get tougher during warmer days. During summertime I can barely close the frunk/trunk with one hand, but if you have ladies at home who also need to use the car, they may find it's too hard.

The ultimate solution is the power lift gates but they come with very different price tags and require quite some skill/time to install.

As a vendor who tested these struts from more than 15 manufactures (as many as I can find, manufactures, not retailers), I think I could have something to share.

In short, I don't think there is a "perfect" version of this product in the market due to its nature: compressed gas/air.

The ones we are selling is the best-balanced one we could found, which can open during wintertime and still have a soft-open effect. However, due to the nature of compressed gas, if the frunk/trunk need to be opened during low temperature, means the struts will get tougher during warmer days. During summertime I can barely close the frunk/trunk with one hand, but if you have ladies at home who also need to use the car, they may find it's too hard.

The ultimate solution is the power lift gates but they come with very different price tags and require quite some skill/time to install.
Ah, that would explain why mine have stopped working.