Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 sucking 4 mbps from my internet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I got my M3 in Jan, it has been hooked up to my home wifi router with no issues. In past few days, it is pulling about 4-4.5 mbps from my internet provider source. (I have rural broad band and only get about 5 mbps download speed) So the result is when trying to do things on my computer browser I only get about .7 download speed - so in other words, not good at all. Once I disconnect car from wifi, I can use the internet as usual. So questions:
1. Has anyone else had this issue and how did you resolve it?
2. I imagine I can set the car to forget the wifi, so no more parasite suck - but what happens when it wants to update? And are there any other drawbacks to this?
3. If I do disconnect from home network, I suppose I can reconnect when phone app tells me there is an update, do the update and then disconnect again. Seems like a pain.
4. Will a reboot help?

Its probably trying to pull down a map update or something. depending on what router you have, and your IT competency, you could log into your router and turn on any QoS (quality of service) features it has, or, look for options to limit bandwith on a specific IP and limit the bandwith of your car.

I dont know if map updates notify you like firmware updates, but if I had limited internet, the QoS or bandwith limitation on the car IP would be what I would do.

Do you have a wire LAN to your computer beside WiFi? If so, you can determine if your WiFi router is the origin of the problem

I would run some of the following Internet speed test using your computer (LAN and WiFi), smartphone, and Tesla browser display.
Both when the Tesla is connected and not connected to Wifi, to really determine if Tesla is the culprit or your ISP, or your WiFi router.

Reactions: Guy V
My computer is direct LAN with ethernet cable, the car is wifi with my hub. I got on phone with my isp provider, disconnected my computer, disconnected every device on the wifi, then turned the wifi in the car off and on and it is definitely the car. They could watch the drain stop and start as I turned wifi on and off in the car.

I believe the Tesla app will only notify you of an update AFTER it has been downloaded to the car. The app notification tells you it is ready to install.
You may be able to limit the Tesla to have access only during certain hours (like when you are sleeping) via the settings on your wifi router.

Usually the car does not use much data except for software updates (couple times a month) and map updates (couple times a year).

1. If I disconnect from wifi, will it still download via the LTE?
2. Is everyone sue it is a big download of some type and not something (read glitch) that needs a reboot?
3. If I left on an app like better route planner, would it continue to draw that much bandwidth? I would think not.

1. If I disconnect from wifi, will it still download via the LTE?
Yes, leave your car disconnected from WiFi and you will still get updates via LTE/cellular (if you have signal available). I ended up disabling WiFi on my car for a location I visit in Tahoe that has really poor Internet (2-3 Mbps) because it just killed the bandwidth for anything else and took ages to complete downloads.

• Helpful
Reactions: Guy V
I just got my HW3 upgrade which apparently triggered my car to download new map data. Without it, I wasn't getting access to the new "stop at stop sign and lights" functionality. (So interesting sidebar that the car didn't previously attempt a map download even though it was apparently available).

Anyway, the map download progress was clearly visible from the Software page on the Settings menu, so you can probably check there. I have reasonably high speed internet service and it was still taking forever...I can only imagine how long it would take with only 5Mbps speed. But it's probably best to eventually let it finish.

Reactions: UncleCreepy
This issue comes up from time to time on various Tesla forums. As other's point out, it could be a map update or other
software update.
Since the majority of folks have gigantic bandwidth available, most people never notice this usage.

EV_Rider, provide us your wifi router model because there are numerous Wi-Fi experts on this forum. Surely, one of them (or me) will PM you instructions for prioritizing the computer over the EV. At a minimum, you could automatically turn off WiFi from 7 am to 11 pm while you use an Ethernet connection to computer. A more sophisticated approach is QoS that prioritizes the computer's MAC address at all hours of the day.

My suggestion, if you can, find somewhere with faster internet/good wifi and reboot your car, check for an update, let it download and install, and then see if it's still doing it whenever you get home. If you have a service center nearby. you could always park there overnight or something and let it do the downloads.

If it simply becomes too much of a hassle just forget the wifi network in settings so it won't suck your bandwidth.

When stating 4-5 mbps do you mean Megabits or MegaBytes?

Thanks everyone. I did re-connect to wifi and check software update. It was maps and it took a really long time to download. At least now I know when my internet speed drops to check the Telsa first before complaining to my ISP. Hoping for Elon to get his satellite internet system up so all of us "rural" people can get fast speeds.
Another suggestion when the computer bogs down again - is to look under Software tab and either pause the download or turn off Wifi until you go to bed and let it gobble data all night long. Firmware will eventually push over LTE but not the map updates.

Reactions: Watts_Up
EV_Rider, provide us your wifi router model because there are numerous Wi-Fi experts on this forum. Surely, one of them (or me) will PM you instructions for prioritizing the computer over the EV. At a minimum, you could automatically turn off WiFi from 7 am to 11 pm while you use an Ethernet connection to computer. A more sophisticated approach is QoS that prioritizes the computer's MAC address at all hours of the day.

this would explain some of my slow downs in the day.

Here's the asus link.
http://router.asus.com/QoS_EZQoS.asp

I'll slow 3 down to 1mbps, but it would be great if Tesla/router had a time of day setting..