Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Sudden Radio deafening volume

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
Is anyone else experiencing the volume on their M3 suddenly jumping from nothing (mute) to the highest setting ? Not only does it deafen me but it nearly gives me a bloody heart attack !
It’s happened twice now, once when the volume wasn’t on and I notched it ONCE on the steering wheel control and a second time today when my wife pressed unmute on the touch screen

I’ve had a couple of momentary bursts of high volume noise since going to 2020.16.2.1. Looks like a bug Also experimented with Rainbow Road and found that despite cancelling auto steer I couldn’t get rid of the cowbell jingle - superimposed on the radio! Media functionality seems to have been compromised by the upgrade.

Reactions: Ant M3
Seems like there are issues with sound since the latest update, I haven't had the pleasure of unexpected full volume, however, if anyone calls me while my iPhone is connected to Bluetooth there is a very high chance it will kill ALL sounds in the car. Not only media, but all system also sounds too, indicators etc. I made a service appointment even though I doubt I'll end up taking the car in.

Reactions: Ant M3
I had total loss of all sound last week. No phone, no radio/ music. First time this has happened since I got the car last Sept, so I reckon it's software update related.

So, I stopped to do a reboot and decided to put the hazards on. I then pressed the emergency call button by mistake (duh). I now did get some sound - a voice saying "Calling emergency services, use the touchscreen to cancel" (or something like that). With a black screen (it was rebooting), I couldn't do that so the emergency services answered. I could hear them, but they couldn't hear me.

Eventually the call dropped and the car rebooted and all was fine. Then ten minutes after getting home, I got a call from the police asking if I'd called emergency services and whether I was ok! Very embarrassing.

• Funny
Reactions: Ant M3 and bhav
Log it in the app and let them decide how to handle it. When it does do it, try and log it as a bug in the car so they have a marker in the logs to go looking at.

Any chance this may be related to the media volume improvements change when door is opened? ie still a bug but possibly going through the motions with the door opening or changes to bluetooth pairing.

Media Volume Improvements
To make it easier to speak when dropping off or picking up passengers, music volume will be lowered when any door is opened. Additionally, while your phone is paired to Bluetooth media, the audio volume will match the vehicle's volume level regardless of your phone volume settings.

Last edited:
Any chance this may be related to the media volume improvements change when door is opened? ie still a bug but possibly going through the motions with the door opening or changes to bluetooth pairing.

That is well odd. As mentioned above my car used to lower the volume with the previous updates but the latest one has cancelled it unless there is a software switch somewhere I haven't noticed.