TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

M3 test-drive: turn-signals and the head-rest

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by acal, Sep 3, 2018.

1. acal

acal Member

test-drove (and ordered) a 3 yesterday. We recently got an X and I was quite surprised by how differently it drove.

First irritating thing...the turn signal. Why does the stalk not stay put when you use it to signal left or right? I get that the turn-signal continues to be on after just a quick bump, but I miss the tactile feedback to know that it's on/off. More than once I only knew the turn-signal was still on because I could hear it and had to look to tell which way to flick the stalk to turn it off.

Second item - the head-rest is not adjustable. Was ok for me, but DW felt like it was way too far forward. I'm really surprised it's not adjustable. Anyway else feel like it's pushing their head forward?

2. Aieukl378

Aieukl378 Closed

The turn signal is kinda funny but whatev(as in it's really not that bad)...they'll tweak it as time goes on. The seats are super adjustable and there is absolutely no reason for you to feel like it's pushing your head. Some of the seat adjustment controls have multiple functions...it sounds like you may have the seat tilted to far forward or something.

3. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

The turn signal returns to home position because that reduces complexity and allows auto lane change to turn off the signal. Despite not having ALC, newer BMWs are also like this, I believe.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. thewishmaster

thewishmaster Member

VW has had this for a while as well. I remember seeing tons of complaints when BMW introduced this functionality for the first time (possibly in the E6x/E9x generation) ... It's quite intuitive once you use a few times. Don't have my Model 3 yet but I'm glad to hear this is the implementation :D

Does the Model 3 have a 2-stage blinker as well, where it flashes the appropriate blinker 3 times if you half-press the stalk?

5. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Yup.

• Informative x 1
  6. timk225

timk225 Active Member

Headrest does make it hard to lay back into the seat, it pushes my head too far forward with no neck support.

7. Hkbruin

Hkbruin Member

The stalk will stay, you’re just not pushing down hard enough/all the way. I don’t like how it doesn’t go back after you complete the turn.

8. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

No it doesn't. Not a problem IMO but that's how it works.

9. KenF

KenF Member

IMO, all Tesla needs to do is add a slightly different sound for the right and left blinkers.

10. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Indeed. The turn signal returning to its home position means that Tesla won't have to insert a solenoid or some kind of additional complexity to physically return it home.

11. Hkbruin

Hkbruin Member

Oh I see what you mean, the stalk returns to position but the turn signal remains on until you manually turn it off. Yeah that’s strange now that I think of it.

12. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

Turn signal was designed like this intentionally because FSD needs to initiate signal and cancel signal completely on its own. If the turn signal lever was mechanical like classis turn signals, then additional hardware and circuitry is needed.

• Informative x 1