Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Tint question - windows but not roof. Any regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having a hard time finding some tint shops that can do what I want. My ideal (and what's mostly legal here) is to
  • have a 60" one piece roof tint at say 50%
  • Rear windows at 50%
  • Front driver and passenger side at 90% (clear)
  • Windshield at 90%
The local shops I've contacted only carry 60" sheets at 15% based on demand (I'm looking for heat rejection, not privacy).

Question I have is has anyone done say a 35% - 50% tint on windows but left the roof untinted? Does it look odd from the inside? I saw one on the outside and it looked fine.
Also found one thread on the heat rejection of the stock tint on the roof and that seemed quite decent.

Initially, I did 35% on all windows and PhotoSync (virtually clear) on the windshield. Living in Phoenix, I quickly found that I needed to tint the roof (I do not like the screens that can be added). I put 20% on the roof. That may seem dark to some, but as a life-long desert dweller, I seek shade! The 20% keeps the worst of it off my head, but still gives me a view (albeit attenuated) of the sky.

If you look on youtube, there are videos showing that the roof does a pretty good job blocking the energy coming in through it. I lived in Florida and never tinted my roof on my Y. The biggest bang for my buck was doing the front and rear windows on it. Did the sides to match.

I have a 3 and plan to do it similarly to our S. On it I did 70% all around. Going darker just led to more light reflection inside the cockpit of the Y at night. Most of the nano-ceramic tints will have good heat rejection without going super dark. I don't have to worry about issues with the police stopping me because the tint was too dark anyway.

Even at 70% with a good tint, has really helped the AC keep up with the hot sun here in Texas so far.

Yeah, I figured the front windshield lets in the most heat which is why I want it tinted. Problem is 60" film rolls for clear tint is rare to find up here. Locally, we're not allowed to put tint on the front or driver and passenger side windows so the demand is really low for 60" clear. I'm still shopping around though..and Florida/Texas is a bit far 😉

Yeah, I figured the front windshield lets in the most heat which is why I want it tinted. Problem is 60" film rolls for clear tint is rare to find up here. Locally, we're not allowed to put tint on the front or driver and passenger side windows so the demand is really low for 60" clear. I'm still shopping around though..and Florida/Texas is a bit far 😉
Maybe we could help you import it. 😉 I was working in Alberta not that long ago and could have at least got it in country for you...

Reactions: spncr
Perhaps I’m confused but as I figure it you only need 38” wide or there abouts film roll to do the front windscreen. Roll from side to side rather than top to bottom.

I plan to have the sunroof glass tinted as well just for aesthetics/OCD. I don’t want to look up and have the two roof pieces be different shades.
Agree it’ll look much better.
If you mean the sunroof as in the smaller section above the driver then that can be done with the narrower roll as well but the larger back glass including the clear rear window section requires the wider roll.
I just got my complete glass roof, sunroof and back roof done with Ultragard Genesis Ceramic 25% and the difference in cabin heat is amazing. It looks fantastic as well, as the tint used is a carbon black look.
Would love to do the windscreen in 70-80% but not legal here.

1649299597865.jpeg

Last edited:
Agree it’ll look much better.
If you mean the sunroof as in the smaller section above the driver then that can be done with the narrower roll as well but the larger back glass including the clear rear window section requires the wider roll.
I just got my complete glass roof, sunroof and back roof done with Ultragard Genesis Ceramic 25% and the difference in cabin heat is amazing. It looks fantastic as well, as the tint used is a carbon black look.
Would love to do the windscreen in 70-80% but not legal here.

View attachment 790841
Looks great! I’m planning to do the windshield too even though it’s “illegal” here as well. 70/80% is so light that you can’t really tell it’s tinted so unlikely to get hassled, but the heat rejection difference is amazing.

Reactions: Benzz
Looks great! I’m planning to do the windshield too even though it’s “illegal” here as well. 70/80% is so light that you can’t really tell it’s tinted so unlikely to get hassled, but the heat rejection difference is amazing.
I did the windshield in 70% on our Y. Made a huge difference on the Y. Since getting the 3 and S, it has only been in the low 90F's so far but had the S done already. What a difference going back to back with the cars. Given long enough they both heat soak but really helps keep the car cooler. I went 70% all around on the S but not the roof.

I find I can keep the temp about 3 degrees warmer on the S (76 vs 73) on the 3 and I feel about the same. Before tinting, I ran the AC about the same. So definitely will result in less energy consumption and less deterioration of the interior as well. With the 70% on the windshield, you can't even tell it is there from the outside. The downside is a bit more reflection at night and at some angles, the window actually looks a bit dirty.

I didn't go darker as I didn't want even more reflection in the cockpit and a 70% tint still blocks a lot of the energy. Going from something that blocks in the 80% to 90% range isn't going to be a huge difference. I don't have to worry about running afoul of all the arcane tint laws when I travel. Some places don't care where you are from to ticket you.

Reactions: Benzz
Initially, I did 35% on all windows and PhotoSync (virtually clear) on the windshield. Living in Phoenix, I quickly found that I needed to tint the roof (I do not like the screens that can be added). I put 20% on the roof. That may seem dark to some, but as a life-long desert dweller, I seek shade! The 20% keeps the worst of it off my head, but still gives me a view (albeit attenuated) of the sky.
Do you have the refreshed 3? Most people that get in my car and myself find that the roof is almost always completely black and you can barely see through it

Do you have the refreshed 3? Most people that get in my car and myself find that the roof is almost always completely black and you can barely see through it
Agreed. I've got a 2022 and the new roof glass is so dark. You are the first to acknowledge this- I was starting to think something is wrong with mine. It should have been left to the user to deal with- I really dislike how dark it is now.

Agreed. I've got a 2022 and the new roof glass is so dark. You are the first to acknowledge this- I was starting to think something is wrong with mine. It should have been left to the user to deal with- I really dislike how dark it is now.
Damn this is what I was worried about. I would want to get a tint on the entire roof to avoid seeing any tint film lines on the roof, but half of the roof is so dark i worry how it will be with tint

Debating this also with my 2022 M3. The roof seems dark enough but I don’t want a seam if I tint the back window. I have a tinting appointment mid July and I’m most likely going to nano ceramic the entire thing.

Another shop near me said they don’t tint the roof because of cracking. The shop I have an appointment with said they have never experienced this in the many Teslas they’ve done so I’m a bit torn.

Debating this also with my 2022 M3. The roof seems dark enough but I don’t want a seam if I tint the back window. I have a tinting appointment mid July and I’m most likely going to nano ceramic the entire thing.

Another shop near me said they don’t tint the roof because of cracking. The shop I have an appointment with said they have never experienced this in the many Teslas they’ve done so I’m a bit torn.
I’ve done the full back glass with 35%. Hasn’t cracked and you can’t tell that it is darker than the front roof

Reactions: scotteh