Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 vs. 2022 Bolt EV vs. 2022 Bolt EUV thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife is planning her EV purchase. She's narrowed it down to the Bolt EV or EUV with the M3 as the runner up (after basically driving every small EV that we could get our hands on that isn't $$$$). She likes a small car, she likes a hatchback. She HATES dealing with stealerships, and I think that is the sole reason that the M3 is still in the running at all (she loved my experience in buying my MY).

I'm curious if anyone else has been doing a comparison shop on these particular models and has any real guidance (other than get the M3 damnit!) for her on this selection.

Reactions: Refreshedon19
When my wife’s 2017 Bolt lease was up a few months ago she was dead set on a either buying the leased Bolt or leasing or buying the redesigned Bolt. This was even though I had my 3 for several months and she had driven and used it several times. She also liked the hatchback design and the perceived “SUV” feel of the Bolt. After being ready to pull the trigger on the 2017 Bolt’s replacement we were offered an overnight test drive on a Long Range Y. That was the end of any Bolt considerations and here we are: she happy with her LR Y and me happy with my M3P.

My wife is planning her EV purchase. She's narrowed it down to the Bolt EV or EUV with the M3 as the runner up (after basically driving every small EV that we could get our hands on that isn't $$$$). She likes a small car, she likes a hatchback. She HATES dealing with stealerships, and I think that is the sole reason that the M3 is still in the running at all (she loved my experience in buying my MY).

I'm curious if anyone else has been doing a comparison shop on these particular models and has any real guidance (other than get the M3 damnit!) for her on this selection.
What is she looking for in the EV? Can't compare if we don't know the criterias.

I think it's hard to compare the M3 with the Bolts cause they serve different people. Model Y I can see. If you want a small hatchback, the Bolts would be the choice.

Reactions: bobby g
I ended up trading my 2017 Bolt in for a 3 (which I traded in for a Y, last week). The Bolt is a fantastic car, but I really liked the performance of the Tesla, the entertainment for my kids and the convenience of the Supercharger network. And overall, there isn’t much more usable space as the Bolt square footage is vertical, making it less usable IMO. Plus, no frunk in the Bolt.

Different comparison: Bolt, Niro and Kona in November 2020 so Bolt EUV wasn't available at all. Like your wife, we like smaller cars; even the Niro felt big to us.

Make sure to get a good test drive of the Bolt.
Supposedly a seat cushioning redesign in the 2022 (same seat shell). Seat (dis)comfort has been a deal killer for the Bolt (wife discomfort is why we didn't buy a Bolt) but that's an individual "assid" test.

I'd say that the Bolt's key market weaknesses have been
1) seat comfort: 2022 Bolt supposedly cushioning redesign; EUV different seats
2) slow fast charging (max ~160A, ~55kW): unchanged in Bolt and EUV
3) lack of adaptive cruise/autosteer - 2022 Bolt 2LT has ACC $395 option; EUV Premier has ACC, with Supercruise $2200 option

In addition it doesn't have a power driver's seat. EUV has a power driver's seat, but I don't think it has memory.

I wish we hadn't felt the need to buy a new car end of last year as we'd have liked to have seen if the 2022 solved the seat comfort problem. We both otherwise would have chosen the Bolt over the Kona.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
When is the purchase for? Have you looked at the stuff coming out like the Ioniq 5, EV6, etc.. ?

The Bolt seems like a cute little car, someone at work here just got one and I really like their bright blue. One of the crippling features seems to be the 50KW DCFC, which is pretty slow. If it won't be used for road trips though maybe not an issue

IMO the bolt seems to be in the same class as the Leaf. I think a VW ID.4, Ford Mach-E or even a Kia Niro should make a better comp... but neither of these alternatives feel remotely as good as a Tesla. Everyone else has a ton of catching up to do.

Personally I'm excited about the Cadillac Lyriq but my wife thinks it's the second ugliest car she's ever seen (ugliest being the Ford Flex).

No way I would get the Bolt. They have real issues with their battery and software.

In fairness- all those issues are the 2017-2019 bolts-- As of 2020 the battery size and chemistry has changed and I don't believe those have been impacted by the recurring issues with the 17-19 ones.

I'd still not own either version because performance, handling, and ADAS all matter to me, and the bolt sucks there-- but if you want a cheaper econo-EV that's another story.

I had a Volt and I liked it and I was happy with the dealer but it had typical GM reliability, a door handle and the stick shift had to be replaced and it's had brake problems. My Model 3 hasn't had anything go wrong with it in the two years that I've owned it, the only thing I've had done is a tire rotation.

GM is doing a really bad job of handling their fire problem, look at this story from Electrek

IMO the bolt seems to be in the same class as the Leaf. I think a VW ID.4, Ford Mach-E or even a Kia Niro should make a better comp... but neither of these alternatives feel remotely as good as a Tesla. Everyone else has a ton of catching up to do.

Personally I'm excited about the Cadillac Lyriq but my wife thinks it's the second ugliest car she's ever seen (ugliest being the Ford Flex).
Or, depending on which Model 3, a Polestar.

Reactions: holeydonut
What is she looking for in the EV? Can't compare if we don't know the criterias.

I think it's hard to compare the M3 with the Bolts cause they serve different people. Model Y I can see. If you want a small hatchback, the Bolts would be the choice.

Her biggest criteria are small cars (she's only 5' and hates driving larger cars). She's on the M3 instead of the MY because the Y is bigger and she doesn't want that. The Bolt is nice and small which suits her fine. The 2022 has a much better interior, has a power driver seat, and some more amenities (still no rear seat heaters tho). We take my MY for long trips, so this is really a run around town, possible short commute, run the kids and the dog around, kind of car for her.

She drives a Subaru Impreza right now. If it weren't an ICE, didn't have some of the crappiest electronics we've ever used, and have a dealer that wasn't a stuck up a$%#%, we would absolutely renew with Subaru.

I came from a 2019 Leaf which I was surprisingly impressed by. Interior-wise, it was the nicest Nissan I've ever been in. It handled competently and when not in eco mode, had surprising acceleration. I also like hatches (former owner of a 2011 STi) and I could fit my road bike in the cabin with the rear seats folded and front tire off. My wife and I also feel the parking/driving tech on the Leaf is better than our new, 2021 M3P.

M3 is small too... has she test driven it?

Truly, I have a hard time understanding this post. The Bolt and M3 are similar in price, but IMO the M3 is vastly superior to the Bolt in all ways. Can't even believe anyone would consider buying the Bolt. Maybe if it were super cheap (like $15k).

M3 is small too... has she test driven it?

Truly, I have a hard time understanding this post. The Bolt and M3 are similar in price, but IMO the M3 is vastly superior to the Bolt in all ways. Can't even believe anyone would consider buying the Bolt. Maybe if it were super cheap (like $15k).

The bolt is a little cheaper at MSRP.

The bolt is a lot cheaper at actual street price, because GM has to frequently offer incentives in the 7-10k range per car pretty often to get people to buy them... fairly recently you could get another several grand off as a costco member or with other deals.

The new Fed EV rebate is a handout specifically to GM, because they actually need a discount of that size to find buyers.

I've been juggling this very question, but I think the Model 3 is going to win out. If the EUV was arriving before the 3, it would be a coin flip. Here's how I looked at things comparing a SR+ Model 3 and loaded 2022 Bolt EUV Launch Edition:

Cool Factor
So hands down, the 3 wins this category. While the 3’s exterior styling can be polarizing for some, there’s no question it is overall a much sleeker, sporty looking car than the EUV. The EUV’s more about utility, so the 3 really wins this category by default. The 3’s super simple dash with single tablet screen has also been polarizing, but is also very clean looking and very appealing to the wife. The 3’s superior acceleration and more sporty feel also pad to the Tesla’s lead in this category.

Technology
This category is more debatable. The Model 3 has OTA updates, a much better app, and features like dog/camp/sentry mode, overheat protection, streaming shows via Netflix/YouTube (while parked), a boom box mode, games, etc. The EUV has wireless Android Auto/Carplay and theoretically OTA updates and…..that’s about it (self driving touched on later). But AA/Carplay is a big feature that the Model 3 lacks, and to keep a lot of the entertainment features in the 3 you have to fork over $10/month to Tesla. Meanwhile, I very much like AA and having it be wireless is even better. I’m gonna give the edge to the Model 3 even though it lacks AA and a lot of the features it offers require a paid subscription. The standard features plus OTA updates push it over the top

Creature Comforts
The Model 3 and EUV both have a 6-way power driver’s seat (though the 3 also has a power passenger seat). However, the 3 lacks a heated steering wheel and rear heated seats require an extra $300 to activate on the SR+. On the other hand, the EUV comes standard with a heated steering wheel and has heated front and rear seats as well as ventilated front seats. The 3 has a more expansive glass roof compared to the Bolt’s panoramic moonroof, but the Bolt’s roof actually opens and has a cover. I did also find the 3’s door handles annoying FWIW. The EUV reportedly has a nicer ride than the 3, though I will still have to confirm that myself. I give the edge to the EUV in this category for the time being. No rear AC vents in the EUV is a bummer though.

Charging
Not too much to talk about here. 3’s charging capability >>>>>>>> the Bolt’s.

Self Driving Technology
I’ll have to wait until I can actually test out the EUV’s Supercruise feature, but from what I’ve read and videos I’ve watched, I think I will prefer Supercruise over Autopilot. Being able to truly drive hands free without nags makes up for the fact it is usable on less roadways. Plus we’ve seen the plethora of “Tesla on Autopilot crashes….” articles over the years. Yes, Tesla offers “Full Self Driving”, but that costs an extra $10k and isn’t anywhere close to actual full self driving. There are lots of reports of Tesla owners regretting forking over $5-10k for a feature that is still basically in beta and can’t be transferred over to new Tesla purchases.

Cost
The EUV is $43.9k sticker, but due to the buyback I will be able to trade my $43.9k ’19 Bolt for the ’22 EUV for $0 out of pocket. The Model 3 I reserved costs $41.7k ($39.5k base price + $1k white interior + $1,200 destination), but the price has increased $500 since I ordered. Premier/Launch Edition EUV’s seem to basically be selling for sticker right now (outside of a $1k Costco rebate), so I think it’s safe to say these cars are more or less even on price. The 3 has higher insurance costs (talking $200 difference for a 6 month policy in my case) and repair costs are also higher (hence the higher insurance premiums). However, the 3 will likely have superior resale value compared to the Bolt. A little too much uncertainty to declare a clear winner, but probably in the end the TCO is probably similar or maybe slightly in favor of the 3 due to resale value.

If I traded in the EUV for a Model 3, I would most likely be taking on an extra $5k in financial burden to complete the swap assuming I can get at least $36k trade value for the EUV, so that’s another consideration to factor. Keeping the Bolt and not trading into a 3 would save me at least $5k up front. It’s also possible both the EUV and 3 could become eligible for federal tax credits down the road if Congress passes a new EV tax credit and makes it retroactive, but who knows if that will actually happen.

Cargo
The Bolt can fit bigger things due to the hatch form factor, but the 3 can fit longer things (like golf clubs) fairly easily without having to fold down the rear seats. And the 3 also has a frunk, which while small, has its uses. It also has a fairly deep rear trunk sub-compartment. I would probably rate the cargo category a tie.

Also, the EUV is a LOT taller than the 3 and has higher seating position. The 3 is longer and wider and lower. Guess this would depend on your personal preference.

If your wife won't be doing any road trips a cheap bolt should be fine. It's half the car a M3 is but I know certain ladies don't want to drive a car that's too similar to their husband's. And the bolt is a much shorter car if she likes that. If any road trips are in the future then M3 without question.