Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Wheel Alignment at Firestone?

RFernatt

Solar/EV Owner/Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2016
Eastern Panhandle, West Virginia
Anyone successfully use Firestone for a M3 wheel alignment? My local shop did a rotate and balance, but said they couldn't do an alignment because "it requires special tools and needs to go to Tesla." I'm thinking they are confused, but wanted to see what others' experience has been.

Maybe a MS or MX with the air suspension might be a little different, but the M3 seems like it would be fairly straightforward.

ilyak

Mar 16, 2019
Walpole, NH
Model 3 is one of those cars that require placing weights on the seats and in the trunk for alignment. While this in itself is not exactly unusual, many tires shops do not have the weight kits.

kbecks13

Dec 27, 2017
SoCal
Anyone successfully use Firestone for a M3 wheel alignment? My local shop did a rotate and balance, but said they couldn't do an alignment because "it requires special tools and needs to go to Tesla." I'm thinking they are confused, but wanted to see what others' experience has been.

It definitely does not require special tools, any good alignment shop should be able to do it. They may not be familiar with it, which means it could take longer the first time or two, but that's about it.

afadeev

Feb 28, 2019
NYC
Anyone successfully use Firestone for a M3 wheel alignment?

Yes, but the answer is location (not chain) dependent.
I had a wonderful Firestone franchisee that handled all my (and others) track tires installs, balancing, and alignments. But that was just one location that all track guys flocked to. They calibrated their alignment rack and wheel balancing equipment regularly, and knew what they were doing. Other locations are hit and miss.

My local shop did a rotate and balance, but said they couldn't do an alignment because "it requires special tools and needs to go to Tesla." I'm thinking they are confused, but wanted to see what others' experience has been.

They are inept (and confused), and are running away from an alignment job.
You should probably listen to them, and find another shop that knows how to do alignments properly.

Model 3 is one of those cars that require placing weights on the seats and in the trunk for alignment. While this in itself is not exactly unusual, many tires shops do not have the weight kits.

All alignment jobs require "dead weight" to be placed in the driver's seat to align the car with the weight of the driver.
Tesla is not special in any way here.
Most shops skip that step, just because it's too much hassle.

a

ilyak

Mar 16, 2019
Walpole, NH
All alignment jobs require "dead weight" to be placed in the driver's seat to align the car with the weight of the driver.
Tesla is not special in any way here.
Most shops skip that step, just because it's too much hassle.

I based what I said on reposes from two regional managers at the Dunn Tire shop chain that were obtained by a contact at my local owners club: Tesla Owners Club New York State - A Warning About Dunn Tire (and the Club’s Preferred Partner Incentives)

They will do alignments for Model S and Model X with air suspensions but not for Model 3. They directly cite lack of laden weight kits at their shops as the reason.

ilyak

Mar 16, 2019
Walpole, NH
Is that their way of saying that they are understaffed? I just sit in the car for my alignments :D
They’re pretty high volume - 12-16 lifts per shop. They are providing significant discounts to the local TOC and carry and know how to use the jack pads, so I’d say they are interested in having the business of Tesla owners.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC