Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 wheels to a MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery soon fo a MY LR-AWD.
We will be moving to CO this Summer and so the need for a winter set is necessary.
We are taking delivery of the MY with 20s, however looking for a set of wheels to put winter tires on.

Ideally, 18s would be most economical, with 18" winter tires - but would they fit over MY Breaks etc.

MY - 20 x 8.5 +35
M3 - 18 x 8.5 +35

So I assume they should fit - ? and have a small change in speeds, based on tire size.

Thanks for your help.

upload_2020-3-15_19-13-30.png

Breaks <> brakes

Model Y 19 and 20” wheels are 9.5” wide and ET45.

Yes, 18x8.5 ET40 Aeros should fit over the Model Y LRD rotors; they’re the same as on the 3. They’ll be more efficient than the 19x8.5 Sport wheels from the Model 3.

Look at 245/50R18 or 245/55R18 for the closest tire fit, the former is smaller diameter, the latter is larger than the OE tires.

60747B1F-67D7-4AD3-9901-B6BC5C9B6601.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: e645824
I'm guessing that the brake setup on the Y is comparable with the M3P setup - i.e. only wheels that fit the M3P will fit on the Y.

Reason is that the model 3 Gemini wheels (winter tire set for M3) are specifically available for the M3P.

I don't know if there are any 18" wheels that fit on the M3P.

Of course you can always go with after market wheels if they come out in 18" for the Y.

Reactions: Tedkidd
Breaks <> brakes

Model Y 19 and 20” wheels are 9.5” wide and ET45.

Yes, 18x8.5 ET40 Aeros should fit over the Model Y LRD rotors; they’re the same as on the 3. They’ll be more efficient than the 19x8.5 Sport wheels from the Model 3.

Look at 245/50R18 or 245/55R18 for the closest tire fit, the former is smaller diameter, the latter is larger than the OE tires.

View attachment 522243
I just learned that the base Model Y has larger front rotors than the Model 3. I do not expect the 18” aero wheels to clear the Model Y front rotors. So ignore my previous post. You got to go with 19” wheels.

I just learned that the base Model Y has larger front rotors than the Model 3. I do not expect the 18” aero wheels to clear the Model Y front rotors. So ignore my previous post. You got to go with 19” wheels.

The Aero wheels clears the front calipers of Model Y. The rear, probably not - the inside radius of the wheel is about 8.4 inch and the rear break calipers is at 8.5 inch.

My measurements was not so precise, but too close to call.

Either way, don't think 18 Aeros are good choice anyway...19" minimum is better.

I'm not gonna use 18 Aeros, just testing for our information...

Screenshot_20200317-222609_Video Player.jpg
20200317_141535.jpg Screenshot_20200317-222740_Video Player.jpg 20200317_151941.jpg

Thanks!
Would you be able to test fit?
Also, are the MYP have bigger rotors?

I am not going to test fit the 18" Aero to the rear, its risking damage to the calipers - it's to close if it will fit at all, sorry.

Model Y rotor size is not the problem, they will fit inside the 16.xx" diameter of 18 Aeros. They are about 14" front and 13" rear diameter on any Model Y.

The caliper is the thing that sticks out further...and by my measurement will not clear the inside wall of the 18" Aero wheel on the REAR Model Y Calipers.
20200317_151941.jpg

20200317_153806.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200319-082547_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200319-082547_Drive.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 20200319_082452.jpg
    20200319_082452.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 159
Reactions: Tedkidd
Wonder what the advantage is over the "standard" freq, or is a future industry wide trend and we're seeing it start of it here and now?
I was wondering that as well. I can't really think of any technical reason as the 433 MHz sensors have been in use for ages and work well.

Likely the only reason is that it will cost less in the long run. Even a $0.01 cost reduction is worth it if you buy lots of them. And on the vehicle side it may allow getting rid of one type of component (the part that communicates with the 433 MHz tire tire sensors) as 2.4GHz is also used for other tasks, this allowing re-use of existing components.

Here's some info I just found TPMS – tyre pressure monitoring system | HELLA

For almost all tyre pressure monitoring systems, transmission occurs in the frequency range of 433 MHz. This frequency range is also, however, used by radio devices, radio headphones, alarm systems, and garage door drives, for example. Please take this into account in the event of malfunctions with the tyre pressure monitoring system. The current development is toward small active systems without batteries (transponder technology) which are just glued into the carcass or which are integrated into the tyre. These systems operate in the 2.4 GHz range, which is not so susceptible to interference, and can record other information, such as road condition and wear state, in addition to temperature and pressure values.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Anyone put the 19s from a M3 on the MY yet?
Thinking of taking delivery with the 20”
Induction wheels and also buying a set of 19s for wife to roll around in for smoother rides.
The Gemini wheels just don’t look good- I could always get them and paint them- however, buying a separate set or 20s, will be way more than the $2k at purchase

So it sounds like the Gemini are the best choice for my MYP.
(looking for max range while carrying bikes)

and the 18's are NOT an option

Just sold SRY - loved the ride and handling of the 19's, and it seems going to 18's is for small gains, and a headache at the very least.
Car was fantastic until you tried carrying bikes, then it felt like you were always charging.

For cross reference:

You 100% can get Model 3 18” aeros to fit the Model Y. As far as I can tell nobody has tried to fit them on a performance Y which has other rear calipers that might not clear

See post #35 18" Aero wheels and Model Y load limits

one big worry as you can see by the post title linked above was load limits. The refreshed, flatter aero capped Model 3 aeros that came out earlier this year increased the load rating to 750 kg.

this is the exact setup I’m working on now. Just Bought my tires and am picking up rims next week. 235/55R18 104V XL Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season II. This will be my setup for my LR Model Y. Check out the linked thread for a bit more info on sizing and driving info.

You 100% can get Model 3 18” aeros to fit the Model Y. As far as I can tell nobody has tried to fit them on a performance Y which has other rear calipers that might not clear

See post #35 18" Aero wheels and Model Y load limits

one big worry as you can see by the post title linked above was load limits. The refreshed, flatter aero capped Model 3 aeros that came out earlier this year increased the load rating to 750 kg.

this is the exact setup I’m working on now. Just Bought my tires and am picking up rims next week. 235/55R18 104V XL Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season II. This will be my setup for my LR Model Y. Check out the linked thread for a bit more info on sizing and driving info.

Is the 750 KG load rating confirmed? That would give the "new" 18" aero wheels the same load rating as the 20" inductions that are optional from the factory on the Model Y... great news! Now I just need to find out of they will clear the rear calipers on the MYP (with or without 15 mm spacers).

Keith

Is the 750 KG load rating confirmed? That would give the "new" 18" aero wheels the same load rating as the 20" inductions that are optional from the factory on the Model Y... great news! Now I just need to find out of they will clear the rear calipers on the MYP (with or without 15 mm spacers).

Keith
I sure hope so cause others have said they have a higher load rating and I’ve got a set I’m snagging next week! According to this ebay listing one of the inside spokes says 750 kg so it looks legit. Los Angeles 2021 18" Tesla OEM Model 3 Factory Aero Wheels Rims Caps ($875-obo) | eBay
Wish I could help with the caliper issue. I’ve got a LR Dual Motor so not much help on that front.

Reactions: Yankees and Zoomit