Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 windows frozen and will not drop when opening car door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this happen to me yesterday after work.

Door handles frozen just for the cold. No water or snow on the car.. just was -5C.

Evenually the door handles worked but when i opened the door.. the windows didnt roll down and scraped the chrome trim.

Then i couldnt close the damn doors and had to call roadside service. They told me the solution was in the future to preheat for 20 minutes.

About 25 minutes later i managed to force the windows down so i could close the doors.

Huge pain in my ass to say the least.
Sorry to hear that. I hope this is not a wide spread problem. I wonder if owners should report this problem through the Tesla ticketing system?

Sorry to hear that. I hope this is not a wide spread problem. I wonder if owners should report this problem through the Tesla ticketing system?

I had that happen yesterday, temperature was just below freezing. The door handles worked and the door opened, however the window would not drop and from inside the car it wasn't easy to close the door. I could close it from the outside using firm pressure (the glass didn't seem to hit the chrome trim, but it was close).

What I think was happening is we had light flurries that night when the temperature was just above freezing, which caused the snow to melt and run down the window refreezing at the bottom where the rubber strip with "brushes" is. This was frozen by the morning, making a solid lock.

Not sure if silicone would work on the rubber "brush" though (unlike the rest of the rubber around the glass).

I was eventually able to get the door closed and got moving, 15 minutes later all the windows worked like normal. So I suspect a 15-20 minute preheat would work as well.

Maybe the app should allow scheduled preheat on selected days if the temperature is near or below freezing. Feature request!

I'm used to the following process with my cars:
1) Open door
2) Get in
3) Warm it up a bit if the windows are fogged

30 minutes of pre-heating isn't a solution. It's a workaround.

Consider changing your routine? Here's what I do since I bought a Tesla:

1. Pre-heat for 15-20
2. Get in a nice warm car
3. Drive in relative comfort (with less regen downtime)

odd that the three is having so many problems.. considering the S and X both have the same window "pop down"... seems lessons learned from the S were not necessarily applied to the 3... so what is different about the windows, and the pop down?

The problem with being so reliant on preheating is that

1. You don't always have a connection. Both the car and your phone need to have an internet connection, and if they're on different networks not having reception on either prevents preheating. Add to that all the "server error" issues many of us get when trying to use the app.
  2. You need to know when you're going to leave. This is fine if you're talking about back and forth to work, but if I go out to dinner, a friend's house, virtually any social event, I don't know when I'm going to leave. Plus now I have to be that guy with his cell phone out in the middle of the movie just so I'll be able to get into my car later?

I'm used to the following process with my cars:
1) Open door
2) Get in
3) Warm it up a bit if the windows are fogged

30 minutes of pre-heating isn't a solution. It's a workaround.

But preheating the car truly requires no effort(access app from comfort of your home)...and your car will be toasty warm to boot.

When I had an ICE car and it was frozen I'd need go outside in the freezing cold, chip the ice off my car, warm up the car(wasting fuel) etc.

And in ICE cars locks freeze, windows freeze etc. I mean winter is winter....

1. You don't always have a connection. Both the car and your phone need to have an internet connection, and if they're on different networks not having reception on either prevents preheating. Add to that all the "server error" issues many of us get when trying to use the app.
  2. You need to know when you're going to leave. This is fine if you're talking about back and forth to work, but if I go out to dinner, a friend's house, virtually any social event, I don't know when I'm going to leave. Plus now I have to be that guy with his cell phone out in the middle of the movie just so I'll be able to get into my car later?
LMAO on the movie comment. The only cool guy... :p

Not to mention just needing to leave right away due to an emergency.

There needs to be a better way than having to do something at least 20-30 mins before you leave.

Not to mention just needing to leave right away due to an emergency.

There needs to be a better way than having to do something at least 20-30 mins before you leave.
Well, if you're in a hurry I assume the old ICE car methods would still work. (Hot water poured down the windows and door seals.) Not a recommendation by the way. Without preheating the problem becomes the same as an ICE car.

Dan

Had the same thing happen this morning. Didn’t really think it would but I had pre heated the car for 5 min before going outside to it and the rear door handles were stuck. The front ones were not. No precipitation either, just temps in the mid 20’s last night.

I get pre heating the car for 20-30 min but we shouldn’t have to do this. Model S has been fine with the motorized handles. Model 3 shouldn’t have a problem with stuck door handles. Definitely something Tesla will have to find a solution to

How is heating the car for 30 minutes difficult? Wake up...reach for phone...pre heat car. Unless you literally jump out of bed and rush out the door I'd think there's at least 30 minutes between getting out of bed and heading off to work. Am missing something here? Not trying to be facetious just perplexed by the number of folks struggling with this seemingly simple to overcome problem.
If your car is not plugged in at home (say you live in an apartment and charge at work), long pre-heat reduces range. You also have to remember to it and you forget, you just delayed your morning departure. Imagine having to make an emergency trip, say you family member calls saying they've been in a accident and need you to come pick them up, you tell them "sure, just give me 30 minutes to pre-heat my Tesla first, so I can get into it".

Model 3 was designed and tested in California. If Elon doesn't use a feature, it's probably not tested well (nobody will get yelled at if it doesn't work). Following Elon's "fail fast" motto, winter testing is to be done by customers, so here we are. No worries though, Tesla will eventually improve winter usability for Model 3, and give you the opportunity to buy the new and improved model then - that is what they've done in the past with S & X. Extensive testing that conventional auto manufacturers do takes too long and costs too much.

I had this happen to me yesterday after work.

Door handles frozen just for the cold. No water or snow on the car.. just was -5C.

Evenually the door handles worked but when i opened the door.. the windows didnt roll down and scraped the chrome trim.

Then i couldnt close the damn doors and had to call roadside service. They told me the solution was in the future to preheat for 20 minutes.

About 25 minutes later i managed to force the windows down so i could close the doors.

Huge pain in my ass to say the least.

My windows were frozen yesterday too, around -5C. I had the same issue with the window not retracting and slightly scraped the chrome trim. I eventually took a credit card and jammed it between the window glass and the rubber gasket, breaking through what felt like ice (even though there was no rain or snow). Then I was able to get the window to retract. Total pain as I was also dealing with a frozen charge port locking tab (not the door but the little metal tab). Once actual winter weather hits, we may be in for an adventure.

• Informative
Reactions: McFlurri
This problem seems like it can be solved with a soft recall or even OTA update, though - no? Some reddit commenter pointed out the easiest solve would be to point the vents at the window while pre-heating, let alone adding any heating elements to doors/windows...

I also think applying silicone to the rubber seals is a 5-minute task. Should I need to do it after spending $60K on a car? Hell no. Does the overall problem feel clickbaity and like a good one for the internet to explode over? Kinda. But what do I know - I'm just an idiot taking a delivery in New England tomorrow and driving to Virginia 3 days later for Thanksgiving. If you see me with a blown motor or some other QC issue on 95, say hi.

I wonder if the doors aren't opening because the windows doesn't roll down. As with the button on the inside, it seems like it rolls down the window before pushing open the door slightly. So, the window being stuck prevents the door from opening.
Seems like the easiest quick workaround is to slide a credit card down the window to unlock it from the seal if you see this problem.
I agree that pre-heating for 30 minutes is a very weak workaround for many of the reasons mentioned above.