Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 winter driving tips & tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read a lot of individual tips about driving a M3 in the snow, for those who’ve put into practice, what are your tips?

take the same care as you would in any other car. There’s a lot of weight which is good for traction but keep in mind that it’s going to take some stopping if you build speed. Traction control is generally excellent. Experiment with slip start on and off. Winter tyres make the sr+ an easy safe drive in snow. Set low regen but only need chill if you are not confident in your ability to feather the throttle. Worked hard to persuade car to do 360 degree drift today... it didn’t want to of course due to permanent traction control with sr+ ... got it going in slow motion but it kept wanting to straighten so not smooth and beautiful!

Having spent the last 20 years and 400k miles driving front wheel drive Xantias, I'm finding it a bit interesting when the back steps out and then the front wheels power up to correct, rather than the front wheels pulling me out of the back stepping out as it steps out.
I've been considering the other thread about snow mode and thinking yes I'd like snow mode on a button so that the fronts were active all the time not just as and when required. (also limiting power to enhance traction and maybe low regen at the push of a button)
Thats probably not possible due to the different motors though.

Tyres, tyres, tyres.
Winter tyres if you get regular/consistent subzero temperatures and snow, all seasons for most mild parts of the country. The new generation of all seasons are much better, and can handle the variable mild weather we have in the south.

My Nokian winter tyres on my last car disintegrated if you pushed them in the dry. Cross-climates were great and will be going on for next winter.

Having spent the last 20 years and 400k miles driving front wheel drive Xantias, I'm finding it a bit interesting when the back steps out and then the front wheels power up to correct, rather than the front wheels pulling me out of the back stepping out as it steps out.
I've been considering the other thread about snow mode and thinking yes I'd like snow mode on a button so that the fronts were active all the time not just as and when required. (also limiting power to enhance traction and maybe low regen at the push of a button)
Thats probably not possible due to the different motors though.
I should have said on winter tyres (Vredstein snowtrac/ 2/3 on the Xantias and Goodyear Ultragrip Performance Plus on the M3)

Had an essential run out from Manchester to Buxton yesterday in the worst winter conditions of the year so far. Was really impressed with how the car and tyres handled the route chosen by the satnav. The conditions were challenging and the only moving vehicles I encountered were either 4x4 off-roader types or tractors.

there were times where a tight uphill turn would get the traction control working but there was no discernible wheel slip or loss of control. Very impressed with the package.

Attachments

• 33A4D96E-05D9-4D9D-93F7-982467B50B06.jpeg
    33A4D96E-05D9-4D9D-93F7-982467B50B06.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 64CDE17B-EB17-4BBE-94CF-8BDB31288FD5.jpeg
    64CDE17B-EB17-4BBE-94CF-8BDB31288FD5.jpeg
    479.2 KB · Views: 40