Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 wireless charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How potent is the charging? My buddy says his barely keeps the current state of charge on his iphone 13

The wireless charging in a rental dodge I had was great - connected wireless carplay had waze going and music and it still charged the iPhone to full with no issues

thoughts?

How potent is the charging? My buddy says his barely keeps the current state of charge on his iphone 13

The wireless charging in a rental dodge I had was great - connected wireless carplay had waze going and music and it still charged the iPhone to full with no issues

thoughts?
Note that alignment matters a lot (you may need to add something to change the placement of the phone) and also if you have a case, it also makes it not work or work far less efficiently. It charges my android V40 phone just fine.

For example, things like this for iphone mini. Basically have to have someway to align the coils of your phone to the car.
Tesla Model 3/Y Iphone Mini Charging Mount Driver's Side | Etsy Australia

It would help if both phone and car manufacturers have an indicator to show where the center point of the charging coils are, but alas they don't and it's a huge guessing game.

Reactions: XPsionic
I ordered and use this induction charger for behind the steering wheel. It claims 20w, which I haven’t verified. But I can tell you I‘ve done trips with the phone (iPhone 13 Pro Plus) being used the entire way on this charger, and my phone’s state of charge increases greatly.

28895F02-57A8-4003-95D8-9BC241F7B0FC.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NRG9HCK?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I have really leaned into using the built-in Tesla software for everything. I honestly don’t have to pay much attention to my phone battery since it last so long (IPhone 13 Pro Max… I regularly do overnight trips without even getting my charger out). That said, if I recall, on even most of my shorter road trips I have always arrived with 100% phone battery.

Of note, my wife’s IPhone 12 Mini only charges if she places it on the pad upside down. Still, between the small phone battery and her constant use (social media is a big part of her business’s success), she effectively goes through its battery 2+ Times a day. Thus, the charging pad is NOT a good fit for her in the passenger seat.

*edit*

M3P, April 2022 build date.

Most of the time it charges my Z Flip 3 quickly: faster than the wireless charger I have on my work desk. But there are times when it charges super slow. I would suspect alignment of the phone in the charger but I always put it in the same spot. The times when it charges slowly are pretty rare. Maybe in in 10 times. Not sure why that happens.

Mike