Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3, X & S - Efficiency & Charging time on AC charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davidmc

May 20, 2019
Leicester
Having now driven all 3 models (Only 1 version of each) one thing that caught my attention is the following:

Its all about making the charging spot (7kw AC Charger) available at work for others to use and not hogging it all day.

One thing not mentioned (or I have not seen mentioned) is that i find the SR+ very efficient in its usage and charging on a 7kw charger.

Example:

I drive daily between Leicester & Derby, 40miles each way (80mile round trip) and i charge at work to 90% every day at work. My SR+ uses around 10kWh each way. So that’s 20kWh before I plug it in again when I'm back at work. It takes my car around 3hrs to charge back to 90%. So if I plug in at 9am its finished by 12pm.

I’m driving a MX (loaner) at the moment and this consumes roughly 16kWh for 40mils so 32kwh before charge and this takes nearly 6hrs to charge. I tried to drive as economical as i could, but stopping at the red lights waiting for them to change is too much fun!

This shows that the SR+ can charge "quicker" to gain back the same miles driven and free up the space for another user. Its this bit that I was thinking about if more users get electric cars at my place.

I had a MS 70D on loan (Late last year) and that consumed around 375wh/m (and this took roughly 4.5hr to charge for the same journey)

Note - Yep I know the MX is heavier, quicker, bigger, different car etc etc. The MX is the V10 electron guzzler

Based on an average 13p/kwh - Standard Elec Tariff

M3 SR+ costs 0.032p/mile
MS 70D costs 0.048p/mile (approx 33% more to run)
MX P100D costs 0.052p/mile (approx 38% more to run)

All costs are rough calcs, and dont take accout of weather, roads, driving habits, Agile tariff!! etc etc

Had my M3 SR+ 6 months now. only 1700 miles but have monitored consumption and cost religiously.
Initially used Daytime electricity, Supercharger once and for 41/2 months consistently off peak.
Daytime - 170kWh
Supercharger - 17kWh
Off Peak - 642kWh
Charging loss - 47kWh
Parked loss - 300kWh
Total Cost - £93.00
Total Pence per mile - 5.70
Driving ppm - 2.62
Total watts per mile Average 496
Driving watts per mile Average 291

Reactions: davidmc
Had my M3 SR+ 6 months now. only 1700 miles but have monitored consumption and cost religiously.
Initially used Daytime electricity, Supercharger once and for 41/2 months consistently off peak.
Daytime - 170kWh
Supercharger - 17kWh
Off Peak - 642kWh
Charging loss - 47kWh
Parked loss - 300kWh
Total Cost - £93.00
Total Pence per mile - 5.70
Driving ppm - 2.62
Total watts per mile Average 496
Driving watts per mile Average 291
You parked losses equate to something like 3% of battery capacity per day. Seems like a lot. I would expect more like 1%. Do you use sentry mode a lot or do a lot of preheating maybe?