Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3LR Battery Drain & Mirror Folding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A quick question - I'm a little worried about how much charge I am loosing overnight as I lost 45 miles last night.

My car is parked unlocked in my garage with climate and sentry mode turned off.

The car goes to sleep as when I looked this morning the screen was dark and when I accessed the app it took a few moments to wake up.

To claify; the car was parked at 5pm last night and I checked it at 10:30am this morning and I want to check if I am doing anything wrong, or if there is anything I can do to reduce the loss.

A seperate question, on my previous car I was able to park it and when I removed the keys the mirrors folded. The nearest I can get to this is to have my mirrors fold on arrival, which is no use as I need to reverse into my garage before folding.

As a workaround I am using the voice command to manually open and close the mirrors, but would prefer it to work like my old car did.

Any suggestions please.

A quick question - I'm a little worried about how much charge I am loosing overnight as I lost 45 miles last night.

My car is parked unlocked in my garage with climate and sentry mode turned off.

The car goes to sleep as when I looked this morning the screen was dark and when I accessed the app it took a few moments to wake up.

To claify; the car was parked at 5pm last night and I checked it at 10:30am this morning and I want to check if I am doing anything wrong, or if there is anything I can do to reduce the loss.

A seperate question, on my previous car I was able to park it and when I removed the keys the mirrors folded. The nearest I can get to this is to have my mirrors fold on arrival, which is no use as I need to reverse into my garage before folding.

As a workaround I am using the voice command to manually open and close the mirrors, but would prefer it to work like my old car did.

Any suggestions please.
Set it to lock when you walk away from it and fold the mirrors in. Works like a dream.

You can switch off the locking horn here:

IMG_20200421_114615.jpg

OK, great - I had previously set that but it reverted back.

One other thing; how do I get the mirrors to autofold on lock, as apposed to autofold on arrival.

Finally, imagine this scenerio; arrive home | reverse into garage | get out of car | car locks | mirrors autofold | plug in charger.

Is that possible please, as I can't get to the chargeport without folding the mirrors.

OK, great - I had previously set that but it reverted back.

One other thing; how do I get the mirrors to autofold on lock, as apposed to autofold on arrival.

Finally, imagine this scenerio; arrive home | reverse into garage | get out of car | car locks | mirrors autofold | plug in charger.

Is that possible please, as I can't get to the chargeport without folding the mirrors.

I use Tesla Remote with siri shortcuts to open the charge port - if you have an iphone that may be a solution

• Helpful
Reactions: stonecoldrmw
Just hijacking the thread slightly. I'm also getting a fair amount of drain considering I've not driven it for 6 days. When I got it home, I put it on a scheduled charge to max it to 100% and then I've left it plugged in, but not used it. I checked the app a couple of times to see what the drain was like, in those 6 days, I'm now down to 81%. Seems like a large amount of drain for just standing there.

I don't have climate on, nor do i have sentry at present. Is this normal?

Just hijacking the thread slightly. I'm also getting a fair amount of drain considering I've not driven it for 6 days. When I got it home, I put it on a scheduled charge to max it to 100% and then I've left it plugged in, but not used it. I checked the app a couple of times to see what the drain was like, in those 6 days, I'm now down to 81%. Seems like a large amount of drain for just standing there.

No, I don’t think it is normal. I last charged mine to 80% on 7th April, and I’m currently still on 67%, but virtually all of the 13% difference has been driving.

Here’s a seven day graph of my charge status, and since the 18th, so six days, the car has lost 2%. The big drop of 3% on 21st was my one and only drive to the shops.

9E3DA516-1F53-4FB5-B959-BA027B973863.jpeg

It sounds like your car isn’t sleeping properly. Don’t keep waking it up with the app. And if you use TeslaFi check your settings.

One other point, best not to charge the car to 100% and then leave it, it’s no good for the battery. Unless you need the full range on tap, during the lockdown I suggest 80%. Once we’re all out and about again I’ll go back to 90%, and only 100% for major trips.

• Informative
Reactions: stonecoldrmw
When I got it home, I put it on a scheduled charge to max it to 100% and then I've left it plugged in, but not used it.

To reiterate what Roy finished up with. ^ DO NOT DO THIS ^.

>90% charge is for trips, ie, you are using the car very soon after. Do not leave the car with a heavily charged battery unless you intend to use it straight away. The charge limit screens in car on app show the recommended limits for daily and trip charging. Stick within those limits.

Personally, ATM, I have limit at around 75% and let it drop to around 65% (occasional grocery trip) and top it back up again. Others will have their own regimes.

Reactions: Roy W.

Drain aside you really really should not be charging it to 100% if you are in the least bit bothered about your long term range/battery health. You should only really do that for road trips and even then you should time it to get to 100% just as you are leaving so it does not sit at 100% for long. There is only one thing worse for the battery than charging to 100% and that is holding at 100%. For normal day to day 80-90% is recommended and for lockdown not being used 60-70% is more sensible.
If sleeping you should be losing no more than about 1% a day. If not sleeping, especially if sentry mode is on, then it will be more like 7-10% per day so your drain is too high for the first and too low for the second. Suggests it is sleeping but being woken up often

No, I don’t think it is normal. I last charged mine to 80% on 7th April, and I’m currently still on 67%, but virtually all of the 13% difference has been driving.

Here’s a seven day graph of my charge status, and since the 18th, so six days, the car has lost 2%. The big drop of 3% on 21st was my one and only drive to the shops.

View attachment 535294

It sounds like your car isn’t sleeping properly. Don’t keep waking it up with the app. And if you use TeslaFi check your settings.

One other point, best not to charge the car to 100% and then leave it, it’s no good for the battery. Unless you need the full range on tap, during the lockdown I suggest 80%. Once we’re all out and about again I’ll go back to 90%, and only 100% for major trips.

I did sign up for TeslaFi and just went in to check some settings. I've stopped it logging overnight between 10pm and 6am. Hopefully, that will sort it.

Cheers for the heads up on charging to 100%.

Drain aside you really really should not be charging it to 100% if you are in the least bit bothered about your long term range/battery health. You should only really do that for road trips and even then you should time it to get to 100% just as you are leaving so it does not sit at 100% for long. There is only one thing worse for the battery than charging to 100% and that is holding at 100%. For normal day to day 80-90% is recommended and for lockdown not being used 60-70% is more sensible.
If sleeping you should be losing no more than about 1% a day. If not sleeping, especially if sentry mode is on, then it will be more like 7-10% per day so your drain is too high for the first and too low for the second.

I put the car to sleep earlier - i think - by pressing the power off button on screen. Since then, I've left the car alone.

I put the car to sleep earlier - i think - by pressing the power off button on screen. Since then, I've left the car alone.
That won't put it to sleep. Only locking it leaving it alone and not checking the app will do that. Teslafi if configured correctly knows when to leave it alone to go to sleep so that should not be a problem ( but could be)
I would suggest charging to 70% locking it leaving alone except checking the app maybe once a day. if it's still losing much more than 1% per day after a few days check Teslafi to see if that shows it awake for long periods if it is and it's definitely not something you are doing try disconnecting Teslafi and trying again. Teslafi actually may be the cause it has been known. For the record if left alone the car will typically sleep after around 20 minutes.

I did sign up for TeslaFi and just went in to check some settings. I've stopped it logging overnight between 10pm and 6am. Hopefully, that will sort it.

Cheers for the heads up on charging to 100%.
No need to stop in logging at certains times of day, TeslaFi will pause the polling of data if it senses the car isn't doing anything. I've been using the following settings succesfully:

upload_2020-4-24_11-36-50.png