Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3LR new battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't it interesting... For the LR the new battery could be viewed an upgrade but for the performance could be viewed a downgrade - in terms of range.

Just goes to show, the value of waiting for upgrades can go up or down.

I've also recently taken delivery of my Model 3 LR and it's got the e5ld battery (as stated on the V5) which I understand is the larger 82kw LG pack. I had read that it was only Europe (not the UK) that were getting the larger capacity item?
What was the older pack size? 76kw or something?

I've also recently taken delivery of my Model 3 LR and it's got the e5ld battery (as stated on the V5) which I understand is the larger 82kw LG pack. I had read that it was only Europe (not the UK) that were getting the larger capacity item?
What was the older pack size? 76kw or something?
Europe is guaranteed to get it as it is in the specification for their vehicles (range). For the UK the range is still stated as the older 360 miles (new one will have a WLTP of around 380 miles) - Tesla won't commit until they know all the vehicles will come with the newer pack. The old pack is 75 kWh and the new one around 79 kWh.

Reactions: dunkdafunk
So, it sounds like the new LG pack may actually be 79kWh - is that the consensus? Or no one really knows?
Nominal full pack when new seems to be 78.8 kWh, according to European owner readings taken over in this thread (100+ pages in for this new battery):

That normally increases over time slightly as the BMS calibrates itself. I believe 79 kWh matches that range figure that Tesla are using on the mileage figure the car shows.

• Informative
Reactions: indianinjapan
I've seen some suggestions that the larger LG pack is NCA chemistry, just like the 82kWh Panasonic (rather than NMC chemistry used on the former packs). Does anyone know one way or the other? Or is this all just speculation?

EDIT: Just found another source saying BT43 is in fact NMC. I'm concluding that everyone is just guessing and no one knows anything....

Last edited:
Yes, it is a performance model although the V5 doesn’t say so which I am in the process of changing. Painful process so far with a new car, then a new bumper and now a new battery.
Interested to understand what max charge you get on your M3P as my variant is also E3LD took delivery last week and max I can charge is 303 miles .. and my V5 also doesn’t state performance just long range AWD ?? …

Thanks

Barry

I always thought the 79 v 82 kWh thing was just useable v actual capacity? Ie the battery has gone from 75 -> 82 (72 -> 79 useable). I could easily be wrong!

Pretty sure though that Europe were getting the Panasonic 82kwh battery last year (although I also saw reports of discounted cars with the smaller battery) which is different again.

Other changes are happening which complicates the range figures, there’s a move to a different wiring (hairpin?) which I believe are a few % more efficient but less power.

My conclusion: with so many variables that are hard to keep track on, and performance is more that what’s listed by Tesla, such as cold weather performance and charge rates, many of which you can’t know until owners have had them for a while by which time new models are different again, it’s a thankless task trying to work it out.

I always thought the 79 v 82 kWh thing was just useable v actual capacity? Ie the battery has gone from 75 -> 82 (72 -> 79 useable). I could easily be wrong!

Pretty sure though that Europe were getting the Panasonic 82kwh battery last year (although I also saw reports of discounted cars with the smaller battery) which is different again.
With the switch from Panasonic to LG for the LR in Europe it was assumed the capacity would be the same, as the advertised range didn't change. However once the guys in Europe received these vehicles and used SMT to find out the real capacity they are seeing a nominal size when new of 78.8 kWh vs 82 kWh on the Panasonic so this isn't just a usable vs actual capacity thing, the LG pack is slightly smaller.

For M3P Europe received the Panasonic all year I believe. For the LR they had the Panasonic for Q1 and 2, then the reduced capacity LG (the 75 kWh one we were getting in the UK with a discount off list price) in Q3 and now the larger 79 kWh LG in Q4.

I wonder if the new battery might be the new "high nickel" NCMA chemistry (nickel-cobalt-manganese-alumunium) that LG and Tesla have been talking about? EDIT: The new chemistry might also be the reason for needing more testing before offering AB (and fitting it to the Performance vehicles).

Last edited:
Hi all still trying to understand what max miles you show on the slider when in charge .. I only get a max of 303 miles for my M3P it’s brand new .. is that in line with other M3P ? … just curious
310 miles I think is what most people have been seeing on the M3P, or just under 500 km in Europe. The M3P had its range recently reduced so I wonder if that is why you are seeing 303 - but you will probably find it will increase a few miles as the battery is exercised and the BMS calibrates itself.

My LR initially reported 334 but that fluctuates between 333 and 341 miles.

Reactions: Barryda74
I'd imagine that acceleration boost will be available at some point - it is alleged that the M3P will now also use this battery (hence why it had a range decrease as its old battery was 82 kWh), so if it can supply the power for that it can certainly cope with AB.
I'm not convinced AB will be available on the newer LR. The slower 0-60 in the SR and the lack of AB on the LR both point to a pack less capable of very high output levels?