Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3LR new battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to keep an open mind. At this point of time, it's possible AB was withdrawn because of other reasons.

For example, let's say it was causing other costs to Tesla, like increased warranty claims on something. So hasn't proved as profitable vs risk. To withdraw for only new cars doesn't get so much press. Unlikely I know.

Or they are being more risk adverse with change nowadays, so want more real world data. Note all the heat pump issues, all the powered boot strut issues.

Or it's linked to design changes in the motors.

I personally think the battery change is currently a less likely reason, the battery tech is one thing Tesla do actually take a bit of time time over. I not saying it isn't, just not convinced.

Lots of possibilities still.

I personally think the battery change is currently a less likely reason, the battery tech is one thing Tesla do actually take a bit of time time over. I not saying it isn't, just not convinced.
New battery (or new battery chemistry) was the reason given to someone in Australia by the SC. Yup, I realise that doesn't make it definitive.

Tesla have a history of being cautious with new batteries, and then tuning things later - see e.g. supercharging speeds

New battery (or new battery chemistry) was the reason given to someone in Australia by the SC. Yup, I realise that doesn't make it definitive.

Tesla have a history of being cautious with new batteries, and then tuning things later - see e.g. supercharging speeds

Exactly, I think the new battery can take it.

But they wanna be cautious, they don't rush batteries and overall they been caught out lots this year with new designs.

For me... The root reason is abundance of caution, not a technical design constraint.

I'm not convinced AB will be available on the newer LR. The slower 0-60 in the SR and the lack of AB on the LR both point to a pack less capable of very high output levels?
Different batteries, using different technology from two different companies though.

The slower SR is apparently due to Using the LR motor rather than P motor. The pack can handle it as proven by the unicorn SR that were delivered in Q4 which have the extra range and the older, faster 0-60 time.

The lack of AB on the LR doesn’t make sense from a performance point of view as Tesla are to fit the same battery in the P for this quarter, unless there is a problem and we continue to see Ps delivered with the old Panasonic battery.

• Informative
Reactions: pow216
My April 2021 build LR has, as far as I can establish, a "75kw" (whatever that means) LG battery. AB is still an option option.
Charging to 90% shows a range of 303 miles.
Conclusion...
Tesla's published numbers are meaningless at the detail level. The car works to my satisfaction so I am no longer am very interested in the battery source, chemistry or anything else to do with batteries.

My April 2021 build LR has, as far as I can establish, a "75kw" (whatever that means) LG battery. AB is still an option option.
Charging to 90% shows a range of 303 miles.
Conclusion...
Tesla's published numbers are meaningless at the detail level. The car works to my satisfaction so I am no longer am very interested in the battery source, chemistry or anything else to do with batteries.
Tesla's published numbers for the UK are WLTP range, but the display in the car is EPA range, which is the main reason for the discrepancy.

310 miles I think is what most people have been seeing on the M3P, or just under 500 km in Europe. The M3P had its range recently reduced so I wonder if that is why you are seeing 303 - but you will probably find it will increase a few miles as the battery is exercised and the BMS calibrates itself.

My LR initially reported 334 but that fluctuates between 333 and 341 miles.
Thanks