Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3LR Owner Rivian R1T Rental Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 M3LR owner here. Rented a Rivian R1T Launch Edition for a 5-day weekend trip (LA - Santa Barbara - LA - Vegas - Zion National Park - LA). Obviously, the two cars are in totally different classes and for different uses. But here are some general thoughts:

PRO
  • Interior is gorgeous. Super comfortable seats and overall very luxurious fit/finish/feeling.
  • Powerful and clean acceleration.
  • Sound system is very solid. But definitely feels inferior to M3LR. It felt like the sound was behind me (and didn't really improve when I tinkered with the location of the audio on the interactive graphic).
  • Wow factor is obviously fun. We never saw another Rivian, and it turns heads everywhere.
  • Automatic trunk/cover was really nice. Deep frunk also came in handy
  • Lumbar support great for both driver/front passenger.
  • Ventilated seats were fantastic.
  • The back left tire was at 39 PSI compared to 50 for the rest. Luckily the air compressor was super easy to use and was honestly a fun problem to fix.
CON
  • Feel like it's missing an extra A/C vent area on the dash. It was kind of annoying trying to adjust the vents to point in just the right direction.
  • The app is a joke. Can't access Sentry. Can only "turn on climate" to cool to 72 but can't control it to specifically go lower than that, or to heat up the seats/steering wheel (maybe I missed an area where I could do this?)
  • Second row felt a hair cramped re: legroom.
  • Not being able to watch movies/play games on the main screen while charging was a big bummer.
  • The front passenger seat door/window wasn't sealed properly. We'd constantly have to open/slam the door while traveling at highway speed to try and re-establish a good seal. Otherwise, if we didn't, there would be a terrible wind whistle.
  • My god...the EA network is somehow worse than I realized. A total *sugar*-show all weekend. Maybe 2 plugs working at any given station. Several times I would walk away from a charging car, check the app from inside a store, and see that it has stopped charging. I know this isn't Rivian's fault, but it really ruined momentum at several stops along the way. Also - other EV owners don't know how to park, don't understand etiquette, don't realize charging speed differences, etc. One woman asked me why her e-Tron would take so long and I said because you've set it to charge to 100% (not necessarily all the owners faults, it's also on the carmakers. But man. Brutal).
  • R1T is 128-129kWh battery pack size. That's a solid 50-60 more than Model 3's. I really had to change my mental math on charging speed. Despite pulling 140-215 a lot of the time, I was really disappointed with the overall charge speed from 10-70%. The entire weekend was with non-EV owning friends, and each stop felt like an anti-EV commercial.
  • On our final leg home, we charged to 74% at Baker, CA stop (EA chargers). The car stopped at 74% and wouldn't accept more charge. Tried another charger, but car wouldn't accept it. We decided to drive back to LA and arrive with 4-5%. As soon as we started driving, three separate display errors came up -- Limited Performance (no driver assist cruise control), Drive Mode disabled (luckily we were in Conserve, but couldn't change to sport/all-purpose if we needed), and a battery warning symbol. Also, the acceleration was crazy limited and going from 0-30mph was dangerously slow and cars would honk/pass us. And then we'd be okay driving at 60-80, but the acceleration was dangerously slow.

OVERALL
  • I generally really enjoyed the car. But I'm definitely realizing how far behind other companies are compared to Tesla (while acknowledging plenty of Tesla owners have quality control issues). The EA/DCFC network is pathetic, straight up. And with 120+ size battery packs, road tripping is way more of a chore.

The final stop sounded like you had a major hardware issue. Did the limited power error ever go away? It sounds like the turtle mode that occasionally happens for Tesla, but it happening on a fairly new truck is pretty worrying.

The final stop sounded like you had a major hardware issue. Did the limited power error ever go away? It sounds like the turtle mode that occasionally happens for Tesla, but it happening on a fairly new truck is pretty worrying.
Did not go away. Car accepted charge at 5% and then I handed it off back to the owner, who had service scheduled for today. It was indeed a form of turtle mode.

The "slowness of charge" even when it's pulling 140-200kW is because the car isn't efficient, it consumes a lot per mile. That takes a big battery, and a big battery takes a long time to fill. Your tesla is way more efficient so in comparison, your smaller battery seems to charge fast. Now imagine the new Hummer EV :p

Reactions: gene and Big Earl
The "slowness of charge" even when it's pulling 140-200kW is because the car isn't efficient, it consumes a lot per mile. That takes a big battery, and a big battery takes a long time to fill. Your tesla is way more efficient so in comparison, your smaller battery seems to charge fast. Now imagine the new Hummer EV :p
Yep totally! I just hadn't realized that when I first started charging and had to change my mental math on what a solid 150+ charge speed means. Oh well.

3rd party charging is a bust in so-cal. I've road-tripped my EV6 a couple times and has a 50% failure rate on the EA chargers i've been to! I've had 3 failed chargers in the 3 years I've owned my Model 3 on numerous road-trips. Tesla network is waaaaaay better than the 3rd party.

Reactions: gene
I wish well to the rest of the EV brands and want to see more variet. It will be a good thing for everyone, but until the rest of the manufacturers start taking charging seriously there’s really no other options.

I do not want to be relying on my home charging solely even-though I road trip 4-6 times a year it’s still gives me nightmares that I would be stuck with EA in any other EV. Hopefully with a bunch of new EV intros this past year we‘ll see solid Supercharger contenders popping up or if Tesla opens up the network for other EVs.

2022 M3LR owner here. Rented a Rivian R1T Launch Edition for a 5-day weekend trip (LA - Santa Barbara - LA - Vegas - Zion National Park - LA). Obviously, the two cars are in totally different classes and for different uses. But here are some general thoughts:
  • My god...the EA network is somehow worse than I realized. A total *sugar*-show all weekend. Maybe 2 plugs working at any given station. Several times I would walk away from a charging car, check the app from inside a store, and see that it has stopped charging. I know this isn't Rivian's fault, but it really ruined momentum at several stops along the way. Also - other EV owners don't know how to park, don't understand etiquette, don't realize charging speed differences, etc. One woman asked me why her e-Tron would take so long and I said because you've set it to charge to 100% (not necessarily all the owners faults, it's also on the carmakers. But man. Brutal

• The entire weekend was with non-EV owning friends, and each stop felt like an anti-EV commercial.
OVERALL
  • I generally really enjoyed the car. But I'm definitely realizing how far behind other companies are compared to Tesla (while acknowledging plenty of Tesla owners have quality control issues). The EA/DCFC network is pathetic, straight up. And with 120+ size battery packs, road tripping is way more of a chore.

Really appreciate the perspective on the Rivian, as well as on the EA network.

On a related note, a friend just took their new VW iD4 on its first road trip, and had similar EA experience. It was bad enough that he said it was their last winter road trip in that car (!!!). I feel bad for him, but like most, he really didn't understand just how bad EA was.

This has been speculated for years and yet no action has happened. They won’t open anything until the government pays them so never is my guess.
It’s happening now. And because it is happening, Rivian is now including Tesla Supercharges with the new “Magic Dock” (which includes a CCS charging adaptor) as part of the in-vehicle navigation. See https://electrek.co/2023/03/23/tesla-superchargers-integrated-rivian-navigation/

Which makes the Rivian a much more compelling EV, in my opinion. I believe that eventually all Tesla Superchargers in North America will be CCS compatible.

It’s happening now. And because it is happening, Rivian is now including Tesla Supercharges with the new “Magic Dock” (which includes a CCS charging adaptor) as part of the in-vehicle navigation. See https://electrek.co/2023/03/23/tesla-superchargers-integrated-rivian-navigation/

Which makes the Rivian a much more compelling EV, in my opinion. I believe that eventually all Tesla Superchargers in North America will be CCS compatible.
For me it will take much more then an adaptor to make Rivian a more compelling EV. If they survive or make a profit by 2026 I will be impressed.

For me it will take much more then an adaptor to make Rivian a more compelling EV. If they survive or make a profit by 2026 I will be impressed.
Fair enough. I too have concerns about the future of Rivian. Amazon has only committed to buying 10,000 delivery vans (though they never committed to the 100,000 figure that was widely reported) but those vans are in production and Amazon has them on the road now. Rivian production is slowly increasing. It remains to be seen as to whether or not it’s upcoming bond sale will be successful. Rivian is developing an R2 model which will be smaller than the R1, and that vehicle would be a better fit for me. The company has a very tough road ahead but I think they could make it.

PRO
  • Interior is gorgeous. Super comfortable seats and overall very luxurious fit/finish/feeling.
  • Powerful and clean acceleration.
  • Sound system is very solid. But definitely feels inferior to M3LR. It felt like the sound was behind me (and didn't really improve when I tinkered with the location of the audio on the interactive graphic).
  • Wow factor is obviously fun. We never saw another Rivian, and it turns heads everywhere.
  • Automatic trunk/cover was really nice. Deep frunk also came in handy
  • Lumbar support great for both driver/front passenger.
  • Ventilated seats were fantastic.
  • The back left tire was at 39 PSI compared to 50 for the rest. Luckily the air compressor was super easy to use and was honestly a fun problem to fix.
CON
  • Feel like it's missing an extra A/C vent area on the dash. It was kind of annoying trying to adjust the vents to point in just the right direction.
  • The app is a joke. Can't access Sentry. Can only "turn on climate" to cool to 72 but can't control it to specifically go lower than that, or to heat up the seats/steering wheel (maybe I missed an area where I could do this?)
  • Second row felt a hair cramped re: legroom.
  • Not being able to watch movies/play games on the main screen while charging was a big bummer.
  • The front passenger seat door/window wasn't sealed properly. We'd constantly have to open/slam the door while traveling at highway speed to try and re-establish a good seal. Otherwise, if we didn't, there would be a terrible wind whistle.
  • My god...the EA network is somehow worse than I realized. A total *sugar*-show all weekend. Maybe 2 plugs working at any given station. Several times I would walk away from a charging car, check the app from inside a store, and see that it has stopped charging. I know this isn't Rivian's fault, but it really ruined momentum at several stops along the way. Also - other EV owners don't know how to park, don't understand etiquette, don't realize charging speed differences, etc. One woman asked me why her e-Tron would take so long and I said because you've set it to charge to 100% (not necessarily all the owners faults, it's also on the carmakers. But man. Brutal).
  • R1T is 128-129kWh battery pack size. That's a solid 50-60 more than Model 3's. I really had to change my mental math on charging speed. Despite pulling 140-215 a lot of the time, I was really disappointed with the overall charge speed from 10-70%. The entire weekend was with non-EV owning friends, and each stop felt like an anti-EV commercial.
  • On our final leg home, we charged to 74% at Baker, CA stop (EA chargers). The car stopped at 74% and wouldn't accept more charge. Tried another charger, but car wouldn't accept it. We decided to drive back to LA and arrive with 4-5%. As soon as we started driving, three separate display errors came up -- Limited Performance (no driver assist cruise control), Drive Mode disabled (luckily we were in Conserve, but couldn't change to sport/all-purpose if we needed), and a battery warning symbol. Also, the acceleration was crazy limited and going from 0-30mph was dangerously slow and cars would honk/pass us. And then we'd be okay driving at 60-80, but the acceleration was dangerously slow.

OVERALL
Tesla has less qual control issues compared to Big Three and much better safety. Quality problems were a thing of past years. So even there they cant compete. Great balanced review!

This is a known problem with the EA chargers but doesn't seem to actually hurt the vehicle. I had the same issue and was pretty worried about it. However, after parking and letting it go to sleep, the vehicle went back to normal. I wrote my experience up on Reddit awhile back:

(I recently replaced my M3P with an R1T)

The app has gotten significantly better since the original post went up. They've been churning app and vehicle features at a nice clip.

Final note: I've found the EA 150kw chargers to be much more reliable than the 300kw ones. At the end of the day, the charging speeds end up being similar for a long charge - maybe a five more minutes on a 150 but probably worth avoiding the hassle (even when they don't make the truck freak out, they are often broken and/or have trouble keeping up a high-speed charge).