Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3LR trade in for MYP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid $55k for my 22 red M3LR last year and now considering trading it in for a MYP as it’s $53k. Does anyone have experience with trading in M3 to get a new MY? Curious if it’s worth it or is Tesla going to screw me in value?

I paid $55k for my 22 red M3LR last year and now considering trading it in for a MYP as it’s $53k. Does anyone have experience with trading in M3 to get a new MY? Curious if it’s worth it or is Tesla going to screw me in value?
They aren’t going to “screw you”. They’ll give you what your vehicle is worth to them.

Which, I can tell right now, is going to be far, far, far less than you think it’s worth. Trade-in values after the price drop are in the low 30’s.

Reactions: Lindenwood

You want to buy a new model Y P because the price is cheaper, and you know that the price has been lowered on the model 3 as well, so are asking what? Whether tesla will offer you a lower price for your car now.....? I mean, the answer has to be yes, right? Lower new vehicle price = lower trade in offers, always has been.

I dont understand the question.

They aren’t going to “screw you”. They’ll give you what your vehicle is worth to them.

Which, I can tell right now, is going to be far, far, far less than you think it’s worth. Trade-in values after the price drop are in the low 30’s.

Apologies on my poor choice of wording but yes, that is what I meant. I was trying to see where they would value it. Thanks!

Hoping someone has traded it in recently and can provide more insight as well.

You want to buy a new model Y P because the price is cheaper, and you know that the price has been lowered on the model 3 as well, so are asking what? Whether tesla will offer you a lower price for your car now.....? I mean, the answer has to be yes, right? Lower new vehicle price = lower trade in offers, always has been.

I dont understand the question.

My question has nothing to do with M3 being lowered now. Obviously the M3 is lower now as well. I’m not asking for 70k in trade in. I’m just curious to see if anyone has insight on a price range Tesla is offering for trade ins. Whether it’s $25k-40k so I can gauge how much additional I would I have to put on top.

I settled for a M3 last year because MYP was like $63k.

My question has nothing to do with M3 being lowered now. Obviously the M3 is lower now as well. I’m not asking for 70k in trade in. I’m just curious to see if anyone has insight on a price range Tesla is offering for trade ins. Whether it’s $25k-40k so I can gauge how much additional I would I have to put on top.

I settled for a M3 last year because MYP was like $63k.

There is PLENTY of insight into pricing now in the huge discussion on the price drop thread, which you can find here:

lots and lots of people talking about price quotes after the price change. If you want a ballpark, go with what @glide said (low to mid 30s). Not sure where "70k" came from, I didnt say that.

There is PLENTY of insight into pricing now in the huge discussion on the price drop thread, which you can find here:

lots and lots of people talking about price quotes after the price change. If you want a ballpark, go with what @glide said (low to mid 30s). Not sure where "70k" came from, I didnt say that.

I appreciate it. I will check that thread. Thank you

I'd grab acceleration boost for $2k. This puts the non P M3 *very* close to the P for acceleration. From a standstill, the P is still a few tenths quicker, but from a roll, non P with boost is = or faster than P. You're gonna pay a $20k spread to get a P for .3 seconds faster *only* from a dead stop. And for this +$20k you will get a rougher ride with paper thin tires on 20" wheels, and less range.

I'd grab acceleration boost for $2k. This puts the non P M3 *very* close to the P for acceleration. From a standstill, the P is still a few tenths quicker, but from a roll, non P with boost is = or faster than P. You're gonna pay a $20k spread to get a P for .3 seconds faster *only* from a dead stop. And for this +$20k you will get a rougher ride with paper thin tires on 20" wheels, and less range.

OP is getting a bigger car though as well thought, so that might be a plus. The 3 is a great sedan but it sucks balls for family with kids, specially with car seats.

However you are right - The MYP is just .1 sec quicker in 0-60 to a boosted 3.

OP is getting a bigger car though as well thought, so that might be a plus. The 3 is a great sedan but it sucks balls for family with kids, specially with car seats.

However you are right - The MYP is just .1 sec quicker in 0-60 to a boosted 3.
Ah ok, I missed he was looking at MY. I dunno, I haven't tried fitting car seats into the M3, but my 3 adult children fit back there just fine. Car seats really won't fit in a M3?

I did a quick google search: "do child seats fit in model 3". First YouTube video popped up with this comment:
"I’m 6’4 and wife is 5’10 and my baby rear facing fits fine behind either one of us! Great car for the family"

I don't have personal experience with car seats in M3, but I do think that *in general*, Americans tend to obsess about having obnoxiously gigantic vehicles as a near life or death requirement compared to other countries.

Having said that, my wife does like "sitting higher" in the MY but for me personally I don't see the advantage i.e. less aerodynamic, less safe for emergency maneuvers(although the MY is probably better than typical top heavy SUV's). Scary watching videos of SUV's being tested with emergency lane change maneuvers.

Watch this video. Not sure I want to "sit really high to be safer":

Basically, all the "high sitting" vehicles ended up wildly out of control. The normal height sedans were much safer.

Edit: Tesla may be nearly immune to this...the model X performed really well in this test, so no reason to think the MY wouldn't perform well also!

$20k would still be a tough pill to swallow if his goal is "faster".

Last edited:
Ah ok, I missed he was looking at MY. I dunno, I haven't tried fitting car seats into the M3, but my 3 adult children fit back there just fine. Car seats really won't fit in a M3?

They do, is just that the M3 is already pretty low for a Sedan, so is more of pita. Having a higher car makes it easier to load and unload kids from the car set.

I do agree that a 20k hit is not worth going from a 2022 AWD+ to a 2023 P if we are talking about the same car. However going from a lower year ( lets say 2018-2019 AWD+ M3 to MP3) wouldn't be that bad, specially if those were able to get advantage of the tax credit back then + you get warranty again.