Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P 1 year and 17k miles anniversary review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my M3P 1 year ago last week. I kept meaning to write a review of the buying process, but never got around to it. After a year is a good time to get it done, fwiw.

Car is white / white.

My history:
First new car was 2004 STi. Had for a long time, then wanted something more commute friendly, got a 2015 Impreza with Eyesight and 1/2 the HP. Then started to miss the power and decided to get the M3P which is both easy to commute and fast.

The bad:
Delivery / Quality issues:
Small paint blister I didn't see before I accepted the car was on the roof pillar sheet metal bend where it meets the trunk lid. This was not really fixed that well by Tesla (touch up paint) but you can't see it unless you are really looking for it.
The trunk lid was also not level when closed, one side was too low, then I had them adjust it, and it was a bit too high, and then I had them adjust it again and now it sits right.
The drivers side A-Pillar speaker wasn't working. I didn't really notice that except it would crackle over bumps like once a month. Replaced by mobile service.
The passenger side B-Pillar interior trim just popped off one day. I brought it in and they fixed it (for all I know they just pushed it back on).

Autopilot (no FSD)
Phantom braking is annoying sometimes, Nov-Feb it was pretty bad, then it got better.
Lane departure warning sometimes goes off for no good reason (like it doesn't realize there is a second lane you are moving into when changing lanes)

Spotify integration:
Sometimes songs just fail to load and I have to reboot the UI to get it to work.

The good:
The car drives fantastic. It is fast as f. I mean it is faster than I can really ever use. I tracked it last October but I reviewed that already so I don't need to comment on that. It is so smooth and quiet and you are in a car that is on a different level than anyone else around you. You want to be going a different speed? Push on the accelerator, and you are going that speed. Fantastic.

I like the white interior. I had some new blue jeans that were staining the seat, used a magic eraser on it and got it back white. There is a bit of wrinkling but not too bad.

It is great in the winter. I got a set of 17" wheels and snow tires. With Track Mode / Drift you can do power slides and donuts in the snow, which some days is just what you need to do. The pre-heat your car with the app even in the garage is just so nice never have to get in cold car. The auto-mode heated seats work great. The AWD is really good in the snow. And of course the never have to stand outside at the gas station while you fuel up when it is 10 degrees out.

The good / bad:
I like the look of the Uberturbines. But wife rashed one last year; we got it re-painted through Tesla. Then I just rashed one last month.
The Nag. I get why you need it, but still a little annoying.
Auto-rain sense wipers. Most of time work great. sometimes completely wrong speed.
Auto-bright headlights. Sometimes turn on and off a lot.

The performance model: Would I buy it again? Probably not, just get the LR with Boost. I rarely use the entire power of the M3P, and when I do I realize I am driving a bit like an a-hole. If the 10k premium holds up on resale, it will be worth having, we will see.

Range loss: Car now has 300 miles of range at 100% so 95% of initial range. Most of this drop occurred in first 3 months. Mostly L2 charged to 90%, probably about 20-ish Supercharger charges.