Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P 20" Tyre Pressure and Tread Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jeeves

Feb 12, 2020
UK
The sticker on the car says 42psi for 20" Michelin Pilot Sports.

Anyone have observations on the evenness of tread wear at that pressure?

I know many like to run them a few psi lower for comfort. Does that yield even wear too?

The sticker on the car says 42psi for 20" Michelin Pilot Sports.

Anyone have observations on the evenness of tread wear at that pressure?

I know many like to run them a few psi lower for comfort. Does that yield even wear too?
I've generally run a bit lower at 36/37 psi - just changed my first rear set at just under 37k miles. Bought the fronts at the same time to take advantage of £100 cashback promotion currently available and will fit those in the next few weeks.

I just had all 4 changed on mine yesterday, first new set for 2019 AWD LR, the wear on the rear seemed fine although they were just below the limit and the middle had worn slightly more.

The fronts on the other hand from the outside looked ok, they were fairly close to the limit which is why I got all 4 but when the fitter took them off we found the inside of both front tyres were completely bald. Seems I never park with the wheels turned so didnt notice but its booked in to a Tesla service station next week to have it checked.

Looking around the forum yesterday there were quite a few people with similar issues.

I just had all 4 changed on mine yesterday, first new set for 2019 AWD LR, the wear on the rear seemed fine although they were just below the limit and the middle had worn slightly more.

The fronts on the other hand from the outside looked ok, they were fairly close to the limit which is why I got all 4 but when the fitter took them off we found the inside of both front tyres were completely bald. Seems I never park with the wheels turned so didnt notice but its booked in to a Tesla service station next week to have it checked.

Looking around the forum yesterday there were quite a few people with similar issues.
how many miles? I changed my 2019 LR rears at about 14K. mostly not motorway miles which tends to wear them faster I guess. Fronts still fine at gone 18K

how many miles? I changed my 2019 LR rears at about 14K. mostly not motorway miles which tends to wear them faster I guess. Fronts still fine at gone 18K
The car has just ticked over 19k miles, I've just had a call from Tesla about the appointment and queried whether this was covered under warranty and they were having none of it, saying this is normal on any car that the alignment can be knocked out.

I was pointing out that both front tyres had exactly the same wear on the inside but again they said this is all normal for any car, just going over speed bumps can knock it out. I find this a bit of a BS excuse, Ive had cars in the past with bigger wheels and thinner side walls and never had this issue. One being out a bit I could understand but both doing the same seems unlikely.

4 Wheel alignment with them is £225+VAT

I'd shop around for the alignment. There's nothing special about a Tesla in this regard (except for having to take a metal shroud off the rear motor to get at some of the adjustment points), and I got it done for under £100 last time at a place where they charge based on the number of adjustments they have to make.

Tesla are right, it is easy to get the alignment knocked out and it doesn't have to be out by that much to cause uneven wear. Due to bitter experience with other cars using expensive tyres, I get the alignment checked at least once a year, more often if I'm doing a lot of miles or hit a big bump. The tyre wear has been quite even on my cars since doing this and paid for itself in terms of tyre life.

Thanks Jeeves, I normally always have it checked after getting a new tyres, just surprised how bad it was for a new car but after a look through the forum seems quite common, some are even having it checked straight after collecting their new car.

I have tried a couple of local garages but they dont seem to be interested or havent got the updated software to do the Model 3. Going to try a few more places but if it else fails I've kept the appointment at Tesla for now.