Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P Accelerator Delay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I’ve noticed over the last few weeks that on occasion when pressing the accelerator, there is a momentary delay in delivering full power, it’s almost as if it drops into a limp mode then after a second or two restores to normal. This has happened from a standing start and when rolling, also happened on one occasion pulling out of a junction which caused a momentary panic!

Has anyone else experienced this or similar?

Cheers Jules

I did think that as a couple times from a static position at traffic lights, it’s done it. But once rolling it’s done it on country lanes with no other traffic or obstacles in the way. Also it’s only started in the last 500 miles and never experienced it in the other 4.5k miles?

I have experienced this on maybe 3 occasions in 7k miles. only noticed it when pulling out of a junction and as you say, its a panic when you are pulling out in a small gap. I think ive put it down to traction and/or state of charge, each time it has happened, state of charge has been below 20%.

Reactions: Cyclone1
I have had it a few times from a stand still on my LR AWD. I put it down to the traction control detecting or thinking it was going to slip. Its frustrating when it does it, luckily we have so much power that momentarily lag still means the car is quick off the mark.

It could be traction control.
My SR+ is RWD and I often notice it working on slippy roads. It works brilliantly compared to the BMW M3 I used to have that cut the throttle violently at low speeds even if a single wheel slipped and could leave you kangarooing away from a standstill.

Even with 4WD it may only need one wheel to lose traction for both motors to be reduced for a second.

Petrol and diesel engines simply do not have the available torque at very low speeds as our cars have. Maybe they should flash a symbol when it happens (maybe it does).

I have experienced exactly the same on entering a large round-about from stand still (traffic light). This topic has been already discussed on this form in a very good thread called "Lag in "off the line" acceleration" (I do not know how to link it here but you can search it). I followed the advice from that thread and deactivated the obstacle aware acceleration function. I went to the same round-about - no problem at all. Tesla was seeing a curved road in front as an obstacle. Deactivate this function and it should remove the problem for you.

I have experienced exactly the same on entering a large round-about from stand still (traffic light). This topic has been already discussed on this form in a very good thread called "Lag in "off the line" acceleration" (I do not know how to link it here but you can search it). I followed the advice from that thread and deactivated the obstacle aware acceleration function. I went to the same round-about - no problem at all. Tesla was seeing a curved road in front as an obstacle. Deactivate this function and it should remove the problem for you.
Lag in "off the line" acceleration

• Informative
Makes sense especially after reading the thread you referred to and Jason P provided the link to. Just weird it’s only recently started.