Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P aftermarket shocks & struts available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does one have suggestions or locations to order new shocks/struts for a 19 M3P?

Vehicle is lowered on UP springs (low) and will be ordering some moderates or eibachs most likely. Does not seem like any of the similar threads have actual purchase locations.

I know coil overs are "the way to go," but do not need 'race car' on the road or to spend that much.

Does one have suggestions or locations to order new shocks/struts for a 19 M3P?

Vehicle is lowered on UP springs (low) and will be ordering some moderates or eibachs most likely. Does not seem like any of the similar threads have actual purchase locations.

I know coil overs are "the way to go," but do not need 'race car' on the road or to spend that much.
Are you referring to aftermarket strut assembly that will accommodate for your new lowering springs and springs rates?
The only ones I'm aware of right now are from UP

From what I understand, Bilstein is developing some shocks for Model 3s but not sure on ETA.

If you're going to go through the trouble of aftermarket shocks/springs, you may as well get coilovers...

Let me know if I could be assist to ordering anything.

Have you contacted one of the forum vendors, like @MODEL+ to see if they can assist you?
Appreciate the tag @jjrandorin 👌

Danny

Reactions: Lindenwood
Upvote 0
I think coilovers = race car is a complete misconception. Coilovers will ride much more gently and smoothly than struts + aftermarket springs. Coilovers are a matched pair - struts and springs are generally a hodge-podge that does nothing very well.

MPP Comfort's are reasonably priced and so much nicer than the stock suspension. I imagine you would probably spend ~$800+ on new dampers - why not just do it right?

Reactions: P-Lo801 and tm1v2
Upvote 0
I think coilovers = race car is a complete misconception. Coilovers will ride much more gently and smoothly than struts + aftermarket springs. Coilovers are a matched pair - struts and springs are generally a hodge-podge that does nothing very well.

MPP Comfort's are reasonably priced and so much nicer than the stock suspension. I imagine you would probably spend ~$800+ on new dampers - why not just do it right?
Guess I am still in the stone age where I could buy struts and shocks for average vehicles for maybe $400-$500.

Tesla service and pricing strikes again!

1622297893422.png

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2 and MasterC17
Upvote 0
Guess I am still in the stone age where I could buy struts and shocks for average vehicles for maybe $400-$500.

Tesla service and pricing strikes again!

View attachment 667580
In five years I'm sure there will be reasonably priced dampers available, but for now it's OEM and maybe Bilstein in the near future, but yeah, I'm not envisioning less than $200/damper right now.

Upvote 0
Well, yes and no. A properly matched kit like a Bilstein B12 (Bilstein shocks + specific springs to match) offers a more optimized damping for the ride height, and more free travel range. A coilover needs to work in its lowest and highest settings too - but also often offer much more expensive and technically advanced shocks to compensate.

Upvote 0
Well, yes and no. A properly matched kit like a Bilstein B12 (Bilstein shocks + specific springs to match) offers a more optimized damping for the ride height, and more free travel range. A coilover needs to work in its lowest and highest settings too - but also often offer much more expensive and technically advanced shocks to compensate.
Bilstein's theoretically offer a better ride with a pair of matched springs, compared to stock shocks/struts paired with aftermarket springs, which is what I was referencing.

That being said, I've owned a few different BMW's with Bilstein's and lowering springs (E36 M3, E93, E70) and, well, I just cannot recommend them. They all rode worse than stock suspension. I've pretty much just settled on the fact that quality coilovers are the only real replacement for factory if you are looking to lower your car. Just my experience.

Upvote 0
Bilstein's theoretically offer a better ride with a pair of matched springs, compared to stock shocks/struts paired with aftermarket springs, which is what I was referencing.

That being said, I've owned a few different BMW's with Bilstein's and lowering springs (E36 M3, E93, E70) and, well, I just cannot recommend them. They all rode worse than stock suspension. I've pretty much just settled on the fact that quality coilovers are the only real replacement for factory if you are looking to lower your car. Just my experience.
Koni's are the way to go on the BMW platform as far as replacement type damper goes from my 20+ years in BMW suspension tuning. Bilstein's are known to have a very firm ride. The monotube high pressure design likely added a good amount of natural gas spring rate statically and likely more significant with every bit of compression travel. For reference MCS dampers typically have 90 lb statically.

Upvote 0
Koni's are the way to go on the BMW platform as far as replacement type damper goes from my 20+ years in BMW suspension tuning. Bilstein's are known to have a very firm ride. The monotube high pressure design likely added a good amount of natural gas spring rate statically and likely more significant with every bit of compression travel. For reference MCS dampers typically have 90 lb statically.
Yeah I agree with you there. The bump steer on the E93 especially was rough.

Upvote 0