Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P aftermarket tires for 20 inch uberturbine rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife likes the stock rims. I would prefer an 18 inch for sidewalk reasons but it it what it is. what are the options for an all season tire for the 20 inch rims that have decent tread longevity. It doesnt get cold enough here to warrant a set of winter tires.

I'd recommend going with a 255/35/20. The Uberturbine wheels are 9" wide, so Tesla put the wrong size from the get go. (I assume they did this to get a tiny fraction lower rolling resistance, but the stretch on the tire is no good for protecting the wheel, or ride quality). a 255 width is correct for a 9" wide wheel.

I like these, but there are dozens of choices in this size, depending on your budget and the attributes you want.
Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS
MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4
VREDESTEIN HYPERTRAC ALL SEASON

I'd recommend going with a 255/35/20. The Uberturbine wheels are 9" wide, so Tesla put the wrong size from the get go. (I assume they did this to get a tiny fraction lower rolling resistance, but the stretch on the tire is no good for protecting the wheel, or ride quality). a 255 width is correct for a 9" wide wheel.

I like these, but there are dozens of choices in this size, depending on your budget and the attributes you want.
Thanks I will check them out.

I am running 255/35R20 Vredestein Hypertracs and am very happy with them for all-around performance, especially for the money. I have yanked 1.1g on them in Autocross, but they are still pretty quiet and seem notably more efficient than my 275/35R19 200tw race tires.

I expect the DWS-06 are an overall better tire and are probably a bit quieter, but you’re looking at $200 more per set.

I am running 255/35R20 Vredestein Hypertracs and am very happy with them for all-around performance, especially for the money. I have yanked 1.1g on them in Autocross, but they are still pretty quiet and seem notably more efficient than my 275/35R19 200tw race tires.

I expect the DWS-06 are an overall better tire and are probably a bit quieter, but you’re looking at $200 more per set.
That’s ok. Tesla wanted over $400 for each tire for the stock summer tires.

I called americas tires asking about the 255/35 R20 continDWS06. They said it’s a taller and wider tire. They did not know if it would fit or not. They recommended staying with the factory pirelli, obviously for Liability purposes.

Any of you running the 255 tires and have rubbing issues at all on full wheel lock turn?

I called americas tires asking about the 255/35 R20 continDWS06. They said it’s a taller and wider tire. They did not know if it would fit or not. They recommended staying with the factory pirelli, obviously for Liability purposes.

Any of you running the 255 tires and have rubbing issues at all on full wheel lock turn?

Can't speak to rubbing, but be aware that you're likely to see a pretty significant drop in range with a larger/wider tire.

Maybe that doesn't matter for your use case, but don't be surprised if you lose 25-50 miles of range...

I have the Conti's in a 255/35/20 (Front) and a 295/30/20 (rear) No rubbing, no poking. 255's will fit just fine, even with a lowered suspension if that is your jam

I was told by a tire shop, 245/35/20 wouldn’t fit. Do u have pics of ur 255s on the car? Some of these tire shop guys don’t wanna deviate from the factory specs

I was told by a tire shop, 245/35/20 wouldn’t fit. Do u have pics of ur 255s on the car? Some of these tire shop guys don’t wanna deviate from the factory specs
Tesla literally sells 245/35R20 themselves for the Model 3.

Looking at keeping the Ubers for now, so 20 it is. I agree with Lavender above that the 255 is the correct width tire based on the rim itself. I am looking for a tad taller sidewall so thinking of moving up to a 255/40/20... has anyone done or heard of this and any of their repercussions?

Thanks in advance.