Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P Bumper Repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wife had a wrong pedal moment and backed into my car. I'm wondering what the best approach is going to be here, e.g. take it to a Telsa nominated repair shop, use any recommended repair shop, get those bumper repair chaps to come out and fix it?
PXL_20210131_230747507.jpg PXL_20210131_230750857.jpg PXL_20210131_230757454.jpg

not sure if this can be pulled out coz its plastic. will probably need to be filled in and then painted. might actually be cheaper to just buy a second hand bumper if you can get one in the colour of your car - and just change it yourself. no problem if you got a helping hand.

Tesla bumpers are cheap, just order a new one and have it deliveryed to a authorised Tesla repair shop...pop in when they say they have it and they'll colour match your cars paint, paint the bumper and then when done pop back for the 1 hour to change it over. Since the car is near new it should be okay (as in not having to blend pain to bonnet/fenders etc., repair will let you know).

I'm tipping you'll get out of it for no more than $1,500 and if I'm right about the paint process only be without the car for a couple of houses whilst you "wait" for the bumper to be fitted.

I dropped into Tesla, Southport today and one of the service chaps said that bumpers are not that expensive. @EcoCloudIT, thanks for the advice, that lines up with what Tesla is saying. I'll give the nominated repair shop a call tomorrow and see what they say.
@Candleflame the Tesla service chap said it was borderline as to whether it would need to be replaced. No time to do it myself with work commitments, nor that competent, so off to the repair shop! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: TBrownTX
Tesla bumpers are cheap, just order a new one and have it deliveryed to a authorised Tesla repair shop...pop in when they say they have it and they'll colour match your cars paint, paint the bumper and then when done pop back for the 1 hour to change it over. Since the car is near new it should be okay (as in not having to blend pain to bonnet/fenders etc., repair will let you know).

I'm tipping you'll get out of it for no more than $1,500 and if I'm right about the paint process only be without the car for a couple of houses whilst you "wait" for the bumper to be fitted.

I really do have to stop using my phone to post messages....what with my bad spelling and auto correct I’m surprised you understood me @louco73

I wonder how many ‘wrong pedal moments’ happen with partners in teslas? My wife had one and ran our X into the tray of a ute in the first week of ownership. When you are learning the controls its not difficult to do. I always thought the fwd/reverse gear selection was a little open to misinterpretation particularly when trying to exit/enter a parking spot in a hurry. Maybe fwd on one side reverse on the other?

personally not clear to me how a) anyone can confuse the brake pedal with the gas pedal. Like your foot either swivels to the left, or it swivels to the right. and b) who uses the brake in a tesla anyway? its only purpose is like emergency braking when you drive way over the speedlimit and need to slow down for a car in front.

personally not clear to me how a) anyone can confuse the brake pedal with the gas pedal. Like your foot either swivels to the left, or it swivels to the right. and b) who uses the brake in a tesla anyway? its only purpose is like emergency braking when you drive way over the speedlimit and need to slow down for a car in front.
YoU definately can’t accidently stand on the gas peddle in a tesla. It doesnt have one.

• Funny
Reactions: Hairyman
I wonder how many ‘wrong pedal moments’ happen with partners in teslas? My wife had one and ran our X into the tray of a ute in the first week of ownership. When you are learning the controls its not difficult to do. I always thought the fwd/reverse gear selection was a little open to misinterpretation particularly when trying to exit/enter a parking spot in a hurry. Maybe fwd on one side reverse on the other?
I found at the early days of ownership creep mode was usefull for avoiding mishaps

The only mistake I have ever had is switching between directions, Drive and Reverse.
Sometimes I haven’t pushed the lever far enough and the direction hasn’t changed and I press the pedal and it goes in the wrong direction. Has happened perhaps less than a dozen times in 6 years, but always scary when it happens.
It would be nice to have a click confirmation sound when the direction changes.

I have to say, i've noticed this more with some of the recent software updates, but the rear cameras do now have a bit of a lag to them or maybe it's the frame-rate. It's probably just something simple like the camera software needing a higher linux priority when the car is in reverse.

The only mistake I have ever had is switching between directions, Drive and Reverse.
Sometimes I haven’t pushed the lever far enough and the direction hasn’t changed and I press the pedal and it goes in the wrong direction. Has happened perhaps less than a dozen times in 6 years, but always scary when it happens.
It would be nice to have a click confirmation sound when the direction changes.
Yes. Thats the issue i was referring to..more eloquently put!

Wife wasn't in the Tesla, she's not allowed to drive it :). She backed into my car while in hers.

Anyway, the repair shop looked at the damage and said they will repair it instead of replacing the bumper. The bumper was more expensive than we originally thought; around $800 instead of $500. If it was $500 then they would have put in a new bumper. Quote to fix it up is $1161.60.

Wife wasn't in the Tesla, she's not allowed to drive it :). She backed into my car while in hers.

Anyway, the repair shop looked at the damage and said they will repair it instead of replacing the bumper. The bumper was more expensive than we originally thought; around $800 instead of $500. If it was $500 then they would have put in a new bumper. Quote to fix it up is $1161.60.

Ahh, but you have to be be without the car and for the sake of an extra $150 you would have brand new bumper....I know which I would prefer....

My only actual miss use of the controls I think could end up being quite serious.

I live on a 100km road and have a long driveway. I have, on one occasion, used the auto pilot stalk as an indicator to turn right. Waiting at the driveway entrance, the car already had 100km/h on the indicated speed for the road and accelerated out onto the road. I had my foot hovering over the accelerator, ready to take off, but was quick enough to jump onto the brakes to cancel the unwanted command. If your reaction time was a bit slow and there was a car buzzing past at 100km/h, this could end up as a serous accident.

Maybe Tesla could add some code to only engage auto pilot (cruise control) if you are aligned with the traffic flow??

My only actual miss use of the controls I think could end up being quite serious.

I live on a 100km road and have a long driveway. I have, on one occasion, used the auto pilot stalk as an indicator to turn right. Waiting at the driveway entrance, the car already had 100km/h on the indicated speed for the road and accelerated out onto the road. I had my foot hovering over the accelerator, ready to take off, but was quick enough to jump onto the brakes to cancel the unwanted command. If your reaction time was a bit slow and there was a car buzzing past at 100km/h, this could end up as a serous accident.

Maybe Tesla could add some code to only engage auto pilot (cruise control) if you are aligned with the traffic flow??
If it was in autopilot and another car was approaching the car should have reacted on its own