Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P Clicking/Tapping Noise from 17mph and Above. Front Drivers Side.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I've now had my M3P for 2 weeks and only 600 miles on the clock.

I have noticed a very faint fast tapping/clicking noise that appears once you hit 17mph and above. The noise is constant and does not get louder or quicker when increasing the speed, it just stays the same and gets drowned out by road noise when going faster. As soon as you drop below 17mph the noise stops.

The noise seems to be coming from the front driver's side, and from deep inside the car, however, I can't confirm that.

It seems as though something that spins, turns on when you drive from 17mph and above and then turns off below 17mph

Does anyone have this issue or know what object may be activated when you drive 17mph and above?

Thanks

The noise does not change with speed, road conditions, vibrations etc. It does not get louder or quieter. It's just a constant tick, tick, tick, tick same speed, same loudness no mater what above 17mph

Just a wild guess here, but could it be from the ventilation system? Worth a test by turning ventilation fully off and see if the sound changes, also try on max fan speed.

Been a few reports of similar and it was caused by a sticker/part label inside the ventilation system that can unstick. It then makes a tapping sound as it flaps about when the air flow increases. The more turbulent air when moving can trigger it.

Might not be, but maybe worth a test.

Could this be an issue with the pedestrian warning system? - the speaker is on the right hand side close to the wheel - in fact accessible via the wheel arch liner and should go quiet above 19 mph - and that's very close to your reported 17mph and you say it doesn't increase in volume or speed. At 19mph the system should go quiet - perhaps yours isn't.
A simple test is to pull the three plastic fasteners out of the bottom of the RH side wheel arch liner and pull it towards the wheel - you can get your hand in then, - you will see the speaker towards the front of the lower panel - just pull a wire off and go test it.