Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P differences since 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a M3P since Dec 2019 and have started looking at different options to change to - looked at various options but the M3P still looks like the best option available in terms of performance, range and cost. Just wondering if there is another thread or if anyone can advise on what has been upgraded / changed since i last bought my car to the one i have ordered? i know it will have a powered boot but that's about the limit of what i know has changed - any other nice surprises?!

There’s a summary of changes for all Telsa cars here Tesla history of model changes by year. Think the main changes are heat pump, black instead of chrome around windows and handles, revised centre console and powered boot you’ve already mentioned. On the performance there are new wheels too though still not forged. They also changed the battery chemistry and size but probably doesn’t make much difference if you are looking for another M3P. Finally sound deadening should be better with double glazed front side windows.

... and just a few minor things you lose ... no passenger seat lumbar adjustment ... no USB data in centre console ... no option for low regen (this can help with keeping the discs clean) ... no built-in frunk hooks ... maybe slightly slower heat response to the cabin compared with the (admittedly less efficient) resistive heater... (none of them reasons to rule out a shiny new car!):)

Recently went from a 2020 pre update M3P to a 2022 M3P so likely came from the same car as you. Power tailgate, heated steering wheel, heated wipers, heatpump, laminated glass, dechrome, slightly larger battery, better centre console, Ryzen, lithium low voltage battery, hairpin motor, updated discs and pads, some other minor changes but that is the major ones I can think off. To be honest there is not much difference in the driving, suspension is a bit better over the bumps in town, still not fantastic in town, but very good on an open smooth road. Maybe a small improvement in efficiency in the summer, hopefull a bigger difference will be noticed in the winter. Havn't noticed any big range improvements though even with the slightly bigger battery. Best difference I noticed is the vastly improved wind noise (but this was maybe a problem with my old car more than anything else). I only swapped as I had a great trade in valuation from Tesla, but ended up selling for a decent price to WBAC but thats another story.

I kinda feel like the Model 3 is due a reasonable refresh. There’s talk of a yoke - which will divide people - but I suspect it’ll coincide with a more significant change, probably HW4, maybe even camera relocations. The basic design of the car hasn’t changed in over 4 years.

Then again Tesla don’t seem to be struggling for sales, so I guess we’ll see.

You also need to consider the (to me) important penny pinching that's taken place too.
If you have or will specify the white interior - The white inset panel on the door has gone so the door cards are the same for whichever interior you specify.
The lower section of the door cards are now hard plastic
The newer centre console to me is a downgrade plus USB points no longer do data transfer
Pirelli tyres instead of Pilot Sports - same size but stretched over half inch wider rims - they look odd.
Passenger lumber support removed
Power boot - only one strut is powered and leads to failure as its overloaded
Chrome gone from wing cameras and indeed all chrome - Anodised black wears, pits and shows blemishes early in life
The "OctoValve" - heat pump - is noisy though reported to be more efficient regarding energy usage - personally a resistive heater is fine - and instant.
Matrix Headlamps not yet optimised for true dynamic control - and reports some new cars have the older style headlamps fitted
Frunk space is smaller due to OctoValve

Although under the skin there has been a great deal of change, visually the appearance is predominantly the same as the first one produced in 2016, I can't help feeling a redesign is on the cards - or should be, as appearance is as important as function and it's getting on a bit now.

Reactions: Durzel
thanks for everyones replies - car ordered M3P in white with black interior - did not bother with FSD this time as don't think i got the use of it last time to justify the price tag. Now back to the checking to see if a VIN has been issued on a frequent basis. last time i collected from Leeds but that was not given as an option this time so a trip on the M62 after collection should let me see what differences are worthwhile!

Reactions: MrT3