Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P - First Impressions after 2 weeks of ownership and circa 700 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

First off - this is one hell of a car. I've fitted a wireless charger (really good) and a set of door and trunk/frunk seals. The seals had very little impact on road noise (more of which later), but they are worth fitting just to get that satisfying 'clunk' when the doors/trunk are shut.

The throttle seems to be hard wired to my brain, the response is so instant. I also absolutely love 'Hold' mode - true one pedal driving. I drove my partners 2 year old diesel Golf yesterday and it felt, well, not good.

The infotainment system is superb - it really doesn't need Apple Carplay. I have saved various stations to Favourites both in FM, DAB and TuneIn radio. Bluetooth to iPhone X, I also have my whole music collection on a 128 gb usb stick - over 20,000 tracks, including over 300 FLAC albums. I can also play all my movies/tv series streaming from my Plex home server in full screen mode - what more could you want?

The one thing I would criticise it for is the amount of road noise that enters the cabin. I realise it's more noticeable due to the near silent drivetrain but I really think Tesla need to work on it, as when the traditional manufacturers join the EV game in anger they will be found wanting in this area.

Cheers all,

Paul (Essex, England)

Car is called Serenity

Attachments

• My Tesla.jpg
    My Tesla.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: ForeverEv
EV’s shouldn’t get a pass on cabin noise compared to ICE cars. Any luxury car in this price range has a near silent engine at cruise. The tough noise for any car is wind and tire noise at cruising speeds. Tesla just isn’t as good with reducing this noise like the European luxury car manufacturers. My ex-2011 Jaguar XF was amazingly quiet on all road surfaces and speeds. Jag did a great job with that, and Telsa should hire whoever was responsible for making it so quiet and peaceful to drive.

EV’s shouldn’t get a pass on cabin noise compared to ICE cars. Any luxury car in this price range has a near silent engine at cruise. The tough noise for any car is wind and tire noise at cruising speeds. Tesla just isn’t as good with reducing this noise like the European luxury car manufacturers. My ex-2011 Jaguar XF was amazingly quiet on all road surfaces and speeds. Jag did a great job with that, and Telsa should hire whoever was responsible for making it so quiet and peaceful to drive.
1) Noise reduction = added weight from insulation materials = reduced EV range/ICE mileage
2) Noise reduction = added costs for materials and labor

Not a criticism of your remark, just conveying a couple possible reasons why Tesla Model 3 is noisier than comparable ICE vehicles.

Reactions: lottadot and OCR1
1) Noise reduction = added weight from insulation materials = reduced EV range/ICE mileage
2) Noise reduction = added costs for materials and labor

Not a criticism of your remark, just conveying a couple possible reasons why Tesla Model 3 is noisier than comparable ICE vehicles.

You're definitely right. The most radical street versions of sports cars have the sound deadening removed, but Teslas are more of a balanced car.

And as an example of that, from what I read this morning on this forum, Tesla added more sound deadening to the 2020's at some point.

• Informative
Reactions: tvad
Tesla models tend to get quieter as they get better at making them and additonal improvements are incorporated.

Even with the European models, I find they tend to get quieter the larger the vehicle. ie, C series Mercedes is louder than the E, and the S is quieter still.

Usually the Telsla Model 3 has more interior noise than the more plush Model S.