Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P front inside tire wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This weekend when swapping the wheels to my Model 3 I noticed extreme wear to the inside of the front tires.

Is this an alignment issue or something else?

front-right.jpg

front-tires2.jpg alignmnet.jpgfront-left-tire-.jpg front-right-tire.jpg knucle.jpg knucle-wide.jpg

Context:
- Wheels and tires are original 20" performance PS4S
- Tires have 25,000 km on them, mostly highway
- Issue occurred in the last 1,000 km. Before, I test fitted the a set of 18" aero wheels and inspected the original performance tires and did not observe the damage
- KW v3 suspension installed at 14,000 km, lowered 1" vs stock (minimum lowering height)
- alignment performed when the shop installed the suspension, to OEM spec
- did 3 track days with the car, all on another set of semi-slicks tires
- front knuckles have some traces of rubber near the top, but that might be unrelated (scraped off rubber chunks picked up from the track on the semi-slicks?)
- I can put my finger between the tire and the front knuckle
- Put the rear tires in the front and drove for 500km, with no obvious sign of excessive inside wear

Last edited:
inside wear is indicative of too negative camber and/or toe out.

your spec sheet shows left camber is at the edge of acceptable limit, and the right was out of spec.
lowering a car also makes camber more negative.

it probably wouldnt have worn out over only 1000km (consistent with when you swapped the rears for 500km). we dont know exactly how the camber was at 14000km. it could have been quite negative and drove like that for the last 11000km... and the ps4s wear quite rapidly. it didnt wear down to the cord when you inspected it at 24000km, but just did

Partially, yes. I switched to a new set of winter tires right after and they still got a bit more wear on the inside of the front tires, but not as extreme as before. In fact I'm still using those tires now in the second winter season with the car (rotated).