Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P hesitates with new rims in 1/4 mile run

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my Model 3 stealth performance last night to the drag strip and the first two runs car ran 11.5. The next 3 runs the car would hesitate around the 330ft mark and end up running from 12.2 to 12.6. Could it be that I swapped my 20’s for aftermarket 18” Enkei PF01’s with TPMS I bought on eBay?

The wheels shouldn't make any difference assuming correct bore size and offset doesn't result in tires/wheels rubbing against anything. I've only experienced t hesitation in my M3P in non-ideal conditions and traction control made a real-time adjustment. Is it possible the track had some material on the track at the 330 ft mark resulting in less than ideal conditions?

It is possible that the new wheels are too slippery, and the wheels can actually rotate at different speed compared to the rubber.

I hope you realize that you linked to a remote control car forum.

I'd be REALLY surprised if the hesitation was really the tires rotating on the rims, especially because it happens at 70-90mph instead of at launch. There's a ton of friction at the bead.

Its gonna be fun getting the service center to figure that one out.

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki and SigNC
Relatively new RE-71 Bridgestone Potenza 255/35r18. I’ve used them for 3 Autocross events and that’s it.

Ok so the overall diameter of that tire is only 25". The smallest OEM option, the 18" MXM4 is 26.3". That's a pretty massive difference of 5%. The ABS/DSC/TC/AutoPilot/Odometer/etc were not designed to compensate for such a large difference.

I would only run tires with an overall diameter between 26" and 26.8" (1.1% max difference from stock options).

Had something similar happen to me as well. Ran 245/35/18s and sometimes the traction control would limit power. Wheel is spinning much faster than design so it thinks the tire is breaking loose. Unfortunately I don't think it can be fixed until Tesla gives customers the option to set tire diameter instead of wheel size.

I'm currently running 255/45/18s and noticed I haven't had any issues with traction control. Unfortunately it definitely has reduced acceleration but gained some top end.