Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P in Switzerland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I just got a M3P in UK in December, and happily driving winter here. I'm planning a trip to lake Lucerne in February and a little concerned if the performance tyres will be ok. Mostly it'll be Autobahn in Belgium, Germany and Switzerland, but coming off the highway onto to ordinary (steep) roads to get down to the hotel, am I going to need winter tyres for that 15 minute trek, or will 4WD be adequate. I wonder if anyone has experience with that?
Thanks

Hi,
I just got a M3P in UK in December, and happily driving winter here. I'm planning a trip to lake Lucerne in February and a little concerned if the performance tyres will be ok. Mostly it'll be Autobahn in Belgium, Germany and Switzerland, but coming off the highway onto to ordinary (steep) roads to get down to the hotel, am I going to need winter tyres for that 15 minute trek, or will 4WD be adequate. I wonder if anyone has experience with that?
Thanks
I wouldn’t do it. Firstly, in some cantons you will be illegal to be running summer high performance tires in the winter. Second, you put other people at risk including yourself. If rain turns to ice, or snow/ice you will have horrible stopping power or traction.

Pick up a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4’s and you’ll have a great time. These tires are high performance winters and fairly low noise. Been excellent in all weather in the alps!

Reactions: holmgang
Hi,
Thanks

What kind of temperature are we talking about?

Oof. That would be cutting it close. I have now issues driving in 1.5C-5C weather here in Seattle, but period of -10C or more is a bad idea, especially with steep roads...
Not only that, it’s illegal to do so. If in any accident you will be automatically at fault no matter what and incur big fines. If there is a control you will also get a big fine and be forced to tow the car to a shop and get new tires.

I wouldn’t do it. Firstly, in some cantons you will be illegal to be running summer high performance tires in the winter. Second, you put other people at risk including yourself. If rain turns to ice, or snow/ice you will have horrible stopping power or traction.

Pick up a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4’s and you’ll have a great time. These tires are high performance winters and fairly low noise. Been excellent in all weather in the alps!

Thanks! Any idea what size those are? Is it the 18" for the M3P?

PA4.... great great tires for the Alps. But they're stupid-expensive in the 20" size - ive seen anywhere from 300-500eur/piece depending on the market. You might be better buying something like 19" CrossClimates on a different wheelset to be compliant* for that trip, and useful year round in the UK.

*technically CoC only allows 20" for the Performance car