Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P loosing range after one month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all so I took delivery of my M3P on August 29 here in the US. After getting it home I set the battery charge level to 85%. My first dozen charges took me to 265 miles of range. I wont lie ive mashed the accelerator a few times but who hasnt. No drag racing and no track time. After one month my full 85% charge is now netting me just 260 miles, a loss of 5 miles. Doesnt soud like a lot until you factor that over 12 months and then I will have lost 52 miles and thats disastrous. Anyone that can shed some light on this ?

Owning a Tesla is a learning experience. Some of the learning is getting past our concerns, range anxiety, battery loss, tire wear, electric motor efficiency, etc.

There are thousands of pages on each of the worries on the Forum. A huge percentage goes away as the owners learn how the Tesla behaves. You might accelerate tge learning curve by searching for these threads and getting other points of view.

Basically, you are okay.

First, extrapolating incomplete data ( battery cells balanced? Temperature changes? Usage variables? Etc) is bad statistics. It’s like if it rains today and you extrapolate rain every day for the next year then flooding is likely. Meaningful Extrapolation has serious limits.

Nonetheless, batteries will not stay at 100% forever. They will decline somewhat. There are many discussions on how to maintain peak battery capacity. All these methods note that until the battery is 70% of its listed range, Tesla considers it “within specification”.

I use the app Stats on my iPhone to monitor the charging and battery condition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Teslas will usually lose 3 - 5% of their range within the first year or so. This initial drop is usually the biggest "yearly" drop. Tesla is recalibrating range to be more accurate in showing routing. Also, colder weather is coming in now. Cold also will really affect range. A trip I took going 70 - 80 MPH in temps below 40 showed a 30 to 40% loss of range. This forum is for the model S, so that is based on a Model S car. Don't worry about the exact range figures. I charge my car to 70%, and there is a range loss until I charge back up to 80 or 90%, and then it seems to correct itself. The car is managing all this so generally don't worry about it.

Upvote 0
Just keep it in percentag. I wouldn’t worry about what it shows as range cause you will never get that anyway. Unless you drive 25mph everywhere. And you’ve been having a lead foot then it probably adjusted to that and gave you 5miles less. I don’t think it necessarily means you lost range.

It sucks that 70% range loss within the warranty is an ok thing. It’s like saying your gas tank will keep shrinking.

I try not to focus on those things too much and just enjoy a great car. you can always check your driving efficiency by looking at watt/mi in trip menu to check whether your driving is getting more aggressive and you can adjust accordingly.

Upvote 0
Doesnt soud like a lot

Not really
you factor that over 12 months and then I will have lost 52 miles and thats disastrous. Anyone that can shed some light on this ?
I can shed some light that it doesnt work like that.

You can read a lot more about it in the thread about range loss:

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
Upvote 0
Here is my battery degradation over 21 months and 18,000 miles.
CBF74A67-40C6-41FF-B1ED-4BF5ECF5DC5B.png

Upvote 0
Since your car is pretty new, you’ll be covered by teslas standard warranty. There are many reason as to why your battery may be seem like it’s degrading such as the weather and millions of other factors, but if anything were to happen you’ll get a free replacement or pay a very subsidized rate to replace your battery.

Upvote 0
Since your car is pretty new, you’ll be covered by teslas standard warranty. There are many reason as to why your battery may be seem like it’s degrading such as the weather and millions of other factors, but if anything were to happen you’ll get a free replacement or pay a very subsidized rate to replace your battery.
Just remember that the battery pack Tesla uses to replace it under warranty with, doesn't have to be a new battery pack. I would hope they would but they aren't required to, it just has to be within the specs.

Upvote 0
Hey all so I took delivery of my M3P on August 29 here in the US. After getting it home I set the battery charge level to 85%. My first dozen charges took me to 265 miles of range. I wont lie ive mashed the accelerator a few times but who hasnt. No drag racing and no track time. After one month my full 85% charge is now netting me just 260 miles, a loss of 5 miles. Doesnt soud like a lot until you factor that over 12 months and then I will have lost 52 miles and thats disastrous. Anyone that can shed some light on this ?
You already have a large number of answers here. However, I am going to add to it. Ease you stress and stop looking at the "miles." Simply look at the battery display as a fuel gauge (it is). You have had this exact same experience for years, and you have never stressed about it.

Your prior cars have most likely had a "Distance to empty" that told you how many miles you had left on a tank of gas...as an estimation based on driving, etc. You have never stressed if you drove 8 miles to the store and it dropped by 10 miles. You never celebrated (other than a few times...we all play) if it was 5 miles to a friends house and it only dropped 4 miles. You've never worried if the "Economy" told you that you were getting 28 mpg today driving in town...but tomorrow in the rain driving on the interstate it told you 24 mpg. You found vague amusement that coasting down a hill it would say 68 mpg and then stopped thinking about it. Rain impacts your range, heat impacts your range, headwind impacts your range...and more or less they always have - heat to a lesser degree, but they all always have.

Drive the car, enjoy it. When the battery icon/fuel gauge is lower than you like, charge. Once you stop thinking about it, you will realize it is all working well for you and that the car is an absolute pleasure to drive...and is simply a *car* just like any other car. Then you can actually enjoy it.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
@BillsMafia3P All of the previous information and advice is on target. However, I know it goes against human nature of worrying about "losing value". I assume that this is probably your first EV; it's my first, a 2018 LR RWD. I've been tracking my full range figure for the last 4+ years and I've lost 15 miles in that amount of time, over the 25.5K miles I've driven. My lifetime Wh/mi is 235 and while I too occasionally punch it, my driving style is relatively consistent (see attached photo I just snapped). As @Kimmi pointed out in the graph that was posted, battery degradation is not linear. It normally drops the fastest early on in its life and then levels off (or reduces at a less steeper rate). In short, don't obsess about it too much (but do keep an eye on things).

odometers_22-10-04.jpg

Additional note: I have been charging my car using a CHAdeMO adapter OR Supercharging for the last three years. Most people here will tell you that DC Fast charging is worse for your battery's health. I do not have home charging installed. For the first year I had access to Level 2 charging at work so I didn't need to charge my car at home. After I retired, I found that a ChargePoint station near me was cheaper than what my home electrical rate is so I've been charging there, or Supercharging if that station was not available. And yet I've only lost 15 miles.

I should point out that ambient environmental factors play a role in range. I'm in temperate South Bay Area, while it looks like you're in Buffalo, NY. Your summers are probably just as hot as ours, ignoring our recent heat wave that pushed the temp up to 114.8 last month, but your winters are much, much colder. I've taken my car on several long distance trips (Los Angeles, Tahoe, Southern Oregon) but a vast majority of my driving is local city streets and highways on relatively flat terrain. So that may explain my "low" Wh/mi figure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could just be mostly a rounding error. I use a 3rd-party app, and my range is always bouncing around:
IMG_6065.jpeg

As you can see, it looks like my range has varied from 306miles to 313miles, and that's for the last 9,000 miles, since around February. But if I zoom out, and look at the last 4yrs:
IMG_6063.jpeg

A 5mile drop, is pretty much within the margin of error. One month of data is barely anything, and could easily just be normal variation. The early dips are actually cold weather, when the SOC api the developer was using, didn't factor in temp effects upon range. He changed to a different SOC api that factored out the temp effects, and my data shows less of a dip. It's still there, but much less.

• Love
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Upvote 0
Could just be mostly a rounding error. I use a 3rd-party app, and my range is always bouncing around:
View attachment 859930
As you can see, it looks like my range has varied from 306miles to 313miles, and that's for the last 9,000 miles, since around February. But if I zoom out, and look at the last 4yrs:
View attachment 859934
A 5mile drop, is pretty much within the margin of error. One month of data is barely anything, and could easily just be normal variation. The early dips are actually cold weather, when the SOC api the developer was using, didn't factor in temp effects upon range. He changed to a different SOC api that factored out the temp effects, and my data shows less of a dip. It's still there, but much less.
Freak of nature.

Upvote 0