Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P Need Spacer Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been covered but there’s no consensus. I am currently running 3 up front and 5 in the rear. I am running Forgestar 20 inch wheels.
I ordered some 15mm spacers and tried to fit them on the rear. Unfortunately they don’t clear the lugs which I thought wouldn’t be an issue since the wheels are aftermarket.

So it appears I need 20s on the rear.
What options will I have for the front? If I try the 15mm up front will I have the same clearance issue as the rear? Or is the front hub different from the rear such that 15mm should clear?

can anyone recommend a set of 15/20 mm spacers that will fit a M3P? This has been difficult to pin down. Is 15mm too much poke up front?
Thanks.

This has been covered but there’s no consensus. I am currently running 3 up front and 5 in the rear. I am running Forgestar 20 inch wheels.
I ordered some 15mm spacers and tried to fit them on the rear. Unfortunately they don’t clear the lugs which I thought wouldn’t be an issue since the wheels are aftermarket.

What are the specs on the Forgestar? I ask because I'm wondering what a very minimum slipover spacer would look like with the OEM 20x9 +34 wheels, so if they're close to that spec - well, I guess I'd ask if you could shoot some pics :D

What are the specs on the Forgestar? I ask because I'm wondering what a very minimum slipover spacer would look like with the OEM 20x9 +34 wheels, so if they're close to that spec - well, I guess I'd ask if you could shoot some pics :D
I have some 3mm spacers and wondered if I could just put both on together. Any safety issues there? They are close to that spec. 20 x 8.5 et 35 I believe. This is a real headache. Lol.

Your issue is you have aftermarket wheels. All the recommendations you read here assume stock wheels with stock offsets with stock cavities between the lugs. With aftermarket wheels all this is out the window. Even if the wheel is dimensionally the same (diameter and offset), then the depth of the cavities between the holes need to be known. The stock wheels have enough depth of cavity between the holes where a little extra poke of the stock lugs past the spacer (for the bolt in type of spacer) will “fit” into these cavities. Specifically 15/20 on non-p and 20/20 on p models fit (unless you either shave the lugs on the front a bit or HR has a 14 with a unique lug nut that also works).

With aftermarket wheels, if you have shallower cavities, only dutiful measurement will let you know if the extra poke of the lugs past the spacer will contact your wheels.

Your issue is you have aftermarket wheels. All the recommendations you read here assume stock wheels with stock offsets with stock cavities between the lugs. With aftermarket wheels all this is out the window. Even if the wheel is dimensionally the same (diameter and offset), then the depth of the cavities between the holes need to be known. The stock wheels have enough depth of cavity between the holes where a little extra poke of the stock lugs past the spacer (for the bolt in type of spacer) will “fit” into these cavities. Specifically 15/20 on non-p and 20/20 on p models fit (unless you either shave the lugs on the front a bit or HR has a 14 with a unique lug nut that also works).

With aftermarket wheels, if you have shallower cavities, only dutiful measurement will let you know if the extra poke of the lugs past the spacer will contact your wheels.
The irony is I was led to believe that it was the oem wheels causing the issues and that going aftermarket would eliminate the issue. I guess for my wheels anyway not the case. I am interested in the H&R. Will they work with aftermarket wheels? Does the way they fit mean I won’t have this issue? Danny at Model plus seems to think they only work on oem wheels but that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

I am interested in the H&R. Will they work with aftermarket wheels? Does the way they fit mean I won’t have this issue? Danny at Model plus seems to think they only work on oem wheels but that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.
Again, since you have aftermarket wheels, you'll have to ask them specifically. No-one can say for sure *all* aftermarket wheels will work. I've had H&R coilers and springs on my last two vehicles and they are nothing but stellar and will talk it over with you on the phone.

Specific to if they will fit your rims, they do have this as one of the notes on the 14mm:
"Includes special extended shank wheel nuts for attachment. Requires use of OE wheels, or aftermarket wheels with a minimum stud bore diameter of 17mm."
H&R Special Springs, LP.. (make sure to choose your correct year)

Again, since you have aftermarket wheels, you'll have to ask them specifically. No-one can say for sure *all* aftermarket wheels will work. I've had H&R coilers and springs on my last two vehicles and they are nothing but stellar and will talk it over with you on the phone.

Specific to if they will fit your rims, they do have this as one of the notes on the 14mm:
"Includes special extended shank wheel nuts for attachment. Requires use of OE wheels, or aftermarket wheels with a minimum stud bore diameter of 17mm."
H&R Special Springs, LP.. (make sure to choose your correct year)
What does minimum stud bore diameter of 17mm mean? Can I measure this myself? Thanks for the response.

What does minimum stud bore diameter of 17mm mean? Can I measure this myself? Thanks for the response.
The diameter of the holes in your aftermarket wheels but check with H&R directly. They are very friendly with questions like this.
Also ask them about the type of lug nuts they use, whether it’s conical or ball (or if it even matters) and make sure it matches your wheels requirements.

Thanks. Do the 15 clear ? The issue seems to be with 15s, the studs are hitting the wheels.
They clear my Martians, but I can't say for any other brands. Now I run an extended stud setup so that my spacers are slip on.
F06340F3-255E-4B7E-872B-19071F1E67DC.jpeg

Thanks. How hard is it to extend the studs?
Just pull on them real hard to stretch them...but for real its only worth it if you are changing wheels often like I am. When I go to the track I swap the out the Martians w/15mm spacer to a set of Konig Dekagrams w/0 spacer. The extended studs makes this very simple and easy.

For the length of studs I chose I had to remove the hubs in order to install the studs, you may be able to install shorter studs without removing the Hub, but I am not sure what the longest stud is that you can fit without removing hub.

The other option you have if your wheels are hitting the studs is to trim the studs once the spacers are fitted, the obvious drawback to doing this is if you want to go back to stock you will have to replace the studs because they will no longer have enough thread engagement.

Hope this helps, good luck.

I have a question about how much torque when tightening the nuts.

Tesla spec for wheels is 129lbs. So would you tighten the nuts on both the spacers and the wheels at 129lbs?

I could have sworn that read somewhere that one of them should be torqued less, but for the life of me, I can't find it.