Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P or MYP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I almost hate to start this thread, but I'm really on the fence here. Just for some background info, my wife currently drives a Model Y SR and I'm just coming off an BMW X3M lease (had an M3 CS prior to that). Instinctively, I put in my order for an MYP a few days ago hoping that I'd get an Austin build, 4680, all of that good stuff.

The more I think about it though, I'm wondering if it would feel redundant to have two Model Ys (despite the obvious differences), so now I'm thinking maybe I should switch it up and go for an M3P. It would probably be a more logical transition from the X3M and the M3cs, so there's that. My only worry is that I have to assume that there is a refresh of some kind waiting around the corner since it has been a while since the last one. Has anyone else gone through a similar process? If so, how did you choose?

*And yes I know I'll get some bias regardless of where I post, but I just really appreciate the insight :)

Did you enjoy the M3 or the X3 more? Same decision point here. As for "there is a refresh around the corner", all of us legacy BMW people feel like that, because we are used to 4 years / mid cycle refresh, 3 years, full refresh. Tesla iterates fairly constantly, so we have no idea when there will be a "refresh" in terms of body styling etc.

I am not getting into the "4680 and all that good stuff" debate other than to say there are a lot of existing threads on that, and I personally do not think there will be any difference from a customer standpoint between the current car and whatever that turns out to be, at least not for at least a year or more.

Decide do you like the bigger space of an SUV, or the better driving performance of a sedan. Just like the X3 and M3 (the real one, I refuse to call a model 3 a "M3"), its a very similar choice, so you likely have at least 3 years experience with "sedan vs SUV" to determine what you like as a Daily.

I drove both and went for the M3P. It handled noticeably better for me and we really didn't need the cargo space of the Y since we were also getting an S and that hatch holds a lot. I prefer the looks of the 3 over the Y as well.

Reactions: CheapBastid
Did you enjoy the M3 or the X3 more? Same decision point here. As for "there is a refresh around the corner", all of us legacy BMW people feel like that, because we are used to 4 years / mid cycle refresh, 3 years, full refresh. Tesla iterates fairly constantly, so we have no idea when there will be a "refresh" in terms of body styling etc.

I am not getting into the "4680 and all that good stuff" debate other than to say there are a lot of existing threads on that, and I personally do not think there will be any difference from a customer standpoint between the current car and whatever that turns out to be, at least not for at least a year or more.

Decide do you like the bigger space of an SUV, or the better driving performance of a sedan. Just like the X3 and M3 (the real one, I refuse to call a model 3 a "M3"), its a very similar choice, so you likely have at least 3 years experience with "sedan vs SUV" to determine what you like as a Daily.
Yep, and that's kind the interesting thing here. My wife didn't have the Model Y when I first leased the X3M, so the utility was much needed. Now that we do have the Y though, having that utility isn't a necessity (but is always nice).

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Yep, and that's kind the interesting thing here. My wife didn't have the Model Y when I first leased the X3M, so the utility was much needed. Now that we do have the Y though, having that utility isn't a necessity (but is always nice).

FWIW, I am in process "as we speak" of selling my wifes X3 M40i, and will be picking up a Model Y Performance to replace it this wednesday. By "as we speak", I mean I just completed uploading all the documents this weekend after figuring out who was going to give us the best price on it, and expect to drop the X3 off at their drop off center either today or tomorrow (givemethevin).

We do want to have 1 "utility" type vehicle, and my wife very much does not need the performance version of the model Y, but the difference in price between LR and P was 5k when I ordered in January of 2022. I wouldnt be able to stop myself from buying the performance boost (cause I have a model 3 P myself), so that brings the difference to 3k, and 3k on a car that ends up being north of 60k is a fairly insignificant sum, all things considered.

I told her "honey you are getting the performance version of the model Y" and she said "but then you are going to want to drive it more!" (lol, shes not wrong).

I believe I would like commuting to work and back in this incoming model Y, but like "driving" my model 3 P more. I wouldnt want 2 of the same ones (I have never had 2 of the exact same car in the house) so, in your case, I would get the model 3, but I am biased because thats the combo I will have.

if you don't necessarily need another SUV/utility vehicle, I'd go with the Model 3P. my wife is coming off a Lexus RX350 fsport and is having her MYP delivered this Thurs. my previous car was a Macan S, which was nice for utility purposes but now that my boys don't need big car seats, I knew I wanted the Model 3 instead of another CUV type vehicle.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I think a test drive of both will prove very informative. The M3P is very tossable around canyons and traffic and the visibility is just way better (for me). Also, the best mod you can do is downsize to smaller lightweight wheels...just changes the overall feeling of the car and makes it more enjoyable vs. the heavy 20 inch stock ones.

The model Y is one of the best if not the best looking SUV on the road IMHO. I would honestly rather have a Y than my M3P for the added space. However, the reason I have a 3 instead of a Y is the difference in 0-60 times. I'm not willing to sacrifice that. There have been plenty of reports of the M3P hitting 0-60 in 3 seconds. There have been reports of the M3P doing under 3 seconds as well. If I went with the MY, I would just get the AWD not performance, its plenty fast enough. There is a big difference between a 2 second car and a 3 second car. At the end of the day, just get what you are happy with.

I’m in a somewhat similar boat. My heart says Model 3 but my head says to wait for the Austin Y and have the latest and greatest. It all depends on your timeline though. Some don’t have the luxury of being able to wait.

I wanted an MYP, I think it has a slight edge in looks - but it was barely faster than my previous car and having test driven a friend's MYP I was just not impressed enough to consider it an upgrade. It handled like a refined SUV, but a downgrade from many sports coupes. End of the day, I was not gonna spend $60k+ for utility when I can just as easily buy an M3P and enjoy it more + buy a cheap pre-owned SUV later.

It would've been perfect to have a fast SUV as a daily though - I really wanted the car to let me say "yeah I can't imagine needing an M3P" but for some reason I was convinced the weight of the MY killed it for me.

I almost hate to start this thread, but I'm really on the fence here. Just for some background info, my wife currently drives a Model Y SR and I'm just coming off an BMW X3M lease (had an M3 CS prior to that). Instinctively, I put in my order for an MYP a few days ago hoping that I'd get an Austin build, 4680, all of that good stuff.

The more I think about it though, I'm wondering if it would feel redundant to have two Model Ys (despite the obvious differences), so now I'm thinking maybe I should switch it up and go for an M3P. It would probably be a more logical transition from the X3M and the M3cs, so there's that. My only worry is that I have to assume that there is a refresh of some kind waiting around the corner since it has been a while since the last one. Has anyone else gone through a similar process? If so, how did you choose?

*And yes I know I'll get some bias regardless of where I post, but I just really appreciate the insight :)

Uh which car do you like. Get that model in Performance.

If we only had one car, I would've done a MYP, since it would do more "double duty", need to be a little more storage accommodating, etc., but since we also have another vehicle, and I wanted the better driving experience for the Tesla, I went with the M3P.

Don't get me wrong, the TM3 has pretty amazing space, the 3 of us regularly travel in it, with 3 rollers, a large cooler, multiple backpacks, extra pillows, etc., and there's plenty of room left in the trunk (and nothing in the frunk), but clearly the TMY trounces it in that metric.

Though I'm totally jealous of the wheel/tire package the MYP gets vs. the M3P :D