Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P Performance Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning on ordering a M3P which right now shows an estimated delivery in March. In March the average temperature here in Greater Toronto Area is definitely lower than 7 degrees C, with possible minimums below zero. So the Summer Tires it would come with would already be, most probably, broken, perhaps even with warranty voided. I do plan on changing the tires in the Fall to All-Season but the problem is the delivery day in March (ish).

What would you suggest me doing, what options do I have?

I'm in the same situation, with delivery sometime in March or April. I went through this a couple years ago with another M3P, in that case taking delivery on December 23. I drove the car home (picked it up in Ottawa, I live in Kingston) on the stock summer tires. I spoke with a local tire shop before doing this and the owner told me that while it's obviously not recommended driving on them in snow or ice, the tires function perfectly well in even very cold weather - they are not going to crack or split. (I had all-seasons put on the car shortly afterward.) With this car I plan to drive it home and more or less park it until the snow departs. I wish Tesla had an option for those in northern climes to order the car with different tires.

I'm in the same situation, with delivery sometime in March or April. I went through this a couple years ago with another M3P, in that case taking delivery on December 23. I drove the car home (picked it up in Ottawa, I live in Kingston) on the stock summer tires. I spoke with a local tire shop before doing this and the owner told me that while it's obviously not recommended driving on them in snow or ice, the tires function perfectly well in even very cold weather - they are not going to crack or split. (I had all-seasons put on the car shortly afterward.) With this car I plan to drive it home and more or less park it until the snow departs. I wish Tesla had an option for those in northern climes to order the car with different tires.
I think I will wait a little bit until the website moves from March to April as the estimated delivery date and THEN place the order. I will not drive if the temperature drops below +5 degrees (keep it in the garage) other than the delivery day when, no matter the temperature, I will have to. (how cold can it still be in April?!? :))

I was concerned that, from what I heard, even if you don't drive, the Summer wheels should not be even exposed to temperatures below 7 degrees or they might crack. So it is not quite true?

I will switch to All-Season tires but not until October/November, I would like to enjoy a Summer with performance tires :)...

Got mine Feb 2021. Ordered the winter tires in advance and the day I picked up the car drove immediately to the service centre and changed them to the winters. You can order the winter tires as soon as you get your VIN.
You changed only the tires, right? What tires did you get? Are you going to replace them again in Spring or are you going to buy another set of rims?

I am planning on ordering a M3P which right now shows an estimated delivery in March. In March the average temperature here in Greater Toronto Area is definitely lower than 7 degrees C, with possible minimums below zero. So the Summer Tires it would come with would already be, most probably, broken, perhaps even with warranty voided. I do plan on changing the tires in the Fall to All-Season but the problem is the delivery day in March (ish).

Please don’t take this in anything less than the spirit of sharing info. From my experience, there really isn't a proper "all-season" tire. The reasons I have heard numerous times, all refer back to the rubber compound and how it is affected by temperature. My understanding is that winter/snow tires, utilize a softer compound and bigger sipes (grooves)in order to bite in the snow and grip on ice. As a former Corvette owner, I knew that my car was near useless in the winter and snow. I also knew that my performance tires being soft, would harden in the cold and snow, making grip a real challenge, even on dry pavement.

I purposely skipped the Performance model just to get more range out of my M3 LRAWD. I did get a winter set of rims and proper snows, but went with a reputable shop in the GTA, along with the BT TPMS. Trust me when I write this, my 19" rims and tires would not have gotten me through the last snowstorm, but the Sottozero3's gripped like a son-of-a-gun. Just my honest opinion.

Reactions: Vawlkus and mrElbe
I have to place the order soon and I cannot sleep at night, tough decision. I don’t need much range (I work from home) and I have always dreamed of a fast, sporty car. So Performance. But the, the whole Wheels situation, with the risk of braking them (pot hokes etc) and Summer tires (need to be changed etc)….maybe downgrade to LR + booster*+19 wheels? Decisions…

Have been driving21" equipped tesla model S for 6 years. still haven't suffered blowout over pot hole yet. Yes, you do need separate snow tires and wheels in winter. And besides if u don't want the 21s you can always sell them.

Website says March when you goto buy, as soon as you buy it changes. I bought mine 3 days ago.. Says May-June