Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P Pilot Sport 4 vs Silent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I need to replace a couple of tyres on my M3P and need some guidance.

I've got PS4 tyres currently, but no idea if they are the silent type (there's no markings other than an "acoustic" logo).

Looking online it seems the standard PS4s are labelled as porsche, while the PS4 silent tyres are labelled as Tesla. However the silent tyres are nearly £100 more each.

Do I "have to" have the silent tesla ones, could I get the standard ones, but will I massively regret the extra noise?

Any help appreciated.

The Tesla oem tyres have a layer of foam inside to help with acoustics. Silent is not a good description! So long as the tyres are the same size and with similar load rating you are ok. Nobody on this forum has ever described hearing much difference in sound level between the foam lined tyres and non lined. Maybe change in character of sound has been described but not overall sound level.

Reactions: drtimhill
I had the same dilemma a month ago. In the end I went for the Pilot Sport 4S with the Porsche marking. This was actually because I could not find the Tesla ones (T0 designation) anywhere in the country. A month into 'ownership', and I can tell no difference in noise levels. As per Adopado's comment, silent is not a word I would use for the Model 3 on the road.

Reactions: Gatsojon
FYI, a photo of the stock 18" PS4 tyres with the foam.

Tyre - Copy.jpg

Just a little opinion, Model S owner, now on my fourth set of tyres.

Continental SportContact in various iterations have lasted about 24-26k miles on my MS. I then put on Michelin PS4 - they lasted 16-18k miles. Had a unrepairable puncture in one corner, and slow puncture in another, plus tread below 3mm, and replaced all four. Hopefully the next Contis will last until my new MS gets delivered in 2023!

Might have made it to 20k but definitely less life in them. I feel my driving has been the same over the 6 years.

Tony

Yes they are called acoustic. Black circles have them in stock and I’ve read somewhere the the noise differences where negligible plus I believe the normal PS4’s have better rim protection as well but doing your own research is advised.

I've just replaced four OEM Michellin PS4 Accoustic with four Michellin Primacy 4. No noticable difference in noise level but as some have said it sounds a little different, no better/worse, just different. Wanted Cross Climates but none to be had anywhere. Haven't really pushed the tyres yet with weather and bedding in but I would say they feel a little less confident than the PS4 but they were £40 a corner cheaper. It's a leased car going back in Nov so hey ho, as long as they last out the next 12k miles I'm happy.

I had the same dilemma a month ago. In the end I went for the Pilot Sport 4S with the Porsche marking. This was actually because I could not find the Tesla ones (T0 designation) anywhere in the country. A month into 'ownership', and I can tell no difference in noise levels. As per Adopado's comment, silent is not a word I would use for the Model 3 on the road.
Thanks all - really appreciate the responses. I feel like anything with a Tesla approved logo on is sold at a premium. The Porsche ones have exactly the same size/load and having just found them with £50 off for a pair at Costco the cost is £360 vs £586 for the silents!

As I said months ago, no significant acoustic difference BUT you can use tyre goo effectively if there is no foam involved. Also some tyre shops are leery of doing proper internal puncture repair on foam-lined tyres.

Welcome to the hive mind. There's a wealth of information if you use the SEARCH function...without impacting on the S/N ratio or engaging the irritability of old farts such as mygoodself 😉

Reactions: init6
what size?
235/35/R20/Y

Although I seem to have bought the last two as they are now showing as out of stock...

Reactions: yessuz
235/35/R20/Y

Although I seem to have bought the last two as they are now showing as out of stock...
local costco shows 197 inc vat, with 100£ off if buying 4

235/35/R20/Y

One problem with Costco if the car is AWD they might insist on replacing all 4 if there is more than a 4mm difference in front/rear tyres not sure what they going to do if you only ordered 2

Is there no compound / construction difference between the OEM “Tesla” Michelins and the other variants?

I’d be surprised if Michelin went to the effort of creating unique tooling for the Tesla OEM tyres, and then kept everything the same as the other variants apart from adding a foam insert.

I’ve always bought non-OEM tyres in the past, but with Tesla’s somewhat unusual approach to suspension and geometry setup personally I would try and find out if there are compound and sidewall differences that are crucial. I might do some digging myself just out of interest.

Edit: in case this is of interest, OP the below is a snippet from another user on the forum (Pink Duck), on a thread similar to this.

Thank you! So it's not necessary to have the TO fitting? What does that actually give you compared to others?
Further reading about Michelin OEM (Tesla) T0 marking:

Why New Car Tires Wear Out So Fast

The tires that came with your last new car were not designed by Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone or any other tire manufacturer. They were ...
oncars.blogspot.com
oncars.blogspot.com

In brief - OEM-spec tyres typically softer for smoother ride. My original Primacy 3s have Treadwear 240 on scale of 200 (soft) to 800 (hard/long-lasting).

Last edited:
I’d be surprised if Michelin went to the effort of creating unique tooling for the Tesla OEM tyres, and then kept everything the same as the other variants apart from adding a foam insert.
I cannot remember which way round it is but there is 1mm thread depth difference between the Tesla and Porsche OEM variants. The Porsche one has the rim protector like the standard, non-oem, ones.

Is there no compound / construction difference between the OEM “Tesla” Michelins and the other variants?

I’ve always bought non-OEM tyres in the past, but with Tesla’s somewhat unusual approach to suspension and geometry setup personally I would try and find out if there are compound and sidewall differences that are crucial. I might do some digging myself just out of interest.

Edit: in case this is of interest, OP the below is a snippet from another user on the forum (Pink Duck), on a thread similar to this.
On the 18s there is a difference in the fuel efficiency ratings on the PS4.

Normal: B wet grip / C fuel efficiency

T0: B wet grip / B fuel efficiency

What's that worth? Not sure but I guessed about 2% in rolling resistance - it's in the noise really.