Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P Pilot Sport 4 vs Silent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might be wrong, but I saw a video stating that the 20” Uberturbine wheel is wider than the previous M3P wheel, and so the Pirelli Zero sidewalks were stretched a little, which helped with aero? Personally I’d always go Michelin over Pirelli, but would the sidewall be the same as OEM Pirelli’s?

I changed my stock PS4 for Michelin cross climate 2 & they are both quieter and more comfortable. They feel really grippy & confident inspiring. I have two strips of carpet in the garage to stop the floor paint being ripped off & since changing to CC2 I’ve had to apply floor tile adhesive to stop the car from picking up the carpet strips when the car leaves the garage. I’m not joking, but I did chuckle when it first happened.

I’ll not be going back to PS4, I love the CC2.

Reactions: RichardTheKing
I might be wrong, but I saw a video stating that the 20” Uberturbine wheel is wider than the previous M3P wheel, and so the Pirelli Zero sidewalks were stretched a little, which helped with aero?
That's correct, the older ones are 8.5" wide and the Uberturbines are 9.0". Not sure keeping the tyres the same width was done for aero/cosmetic/financial reasons but the tyre side walls should ideally be square so they probably should have gone for a 245 width.

That's correct, the older ones are 8.5" wide and the Uberturbines are 9.0". Not sure keeping the tyres the same width was done for aero/cosmetic/financial reasons but the tyre side walls should ideally be square so they probably should have gone for a 245 width.
Thanks for confirming, I knew I’d seen it somewhere on YouTube! Lol. From what they said the stretched sidewall pushes air out from the wheel rather than into it? Though the fact that Tesla don’t do left and right sided wheels in Uberturbine kind of defeats any benefit from the tyre. As one side is bladed into the wind resistance, and the other side as away?

I read somewhere that the foam in TO (acoustic) tyres is there to reduce resonances that can occur on some roads at certain speeds rather than overall noise levels. I notice that the 18" Continental Ultragrip Sport winter tyres on my M3P hum a bit on many road surfaces.

Also coming from many years of owning and driving Porsches it is well known that the N spec Porsche tyre fitment is different to the non-N spec versions of the same tyre. Porsche claim they go to great lengths to optimise the tyre construction to best suit their vehicles. In fact Black Circles / ATS warn me every time I have selected a non-N tyre spec for my classic Porsche suggesting it might invalidate my insurance. This is rubbish of course given that the car is at least 20 years older than the design of tyre chosen. Anyway, getting back to Teslas it is quite possible that there may be some structural differences between TO and N-spec tyres.

This would make sense given that the tyres are really their last opportunity to correct unfavourable characteristics once they’re committed to production. I.e. noise, softening, sidewall loading, tram lining, tread rollover etc etc etc. noise is important but plenty of other things at play.

Reactions: AMP_it_up
Looking on the American Michelin site they give a bit more detail around the spec. Tesla ones have less tread depth (around 7.2 mm vs 7.5 mm) and are heavier compared to Porsche and standard ones. There must be a structural difference as the Porsche one has more tread rubber and rim protector so you would expect it to be heavier (assuming the widths are exactly the same which isn't always the case just because they are both 235)

T0
1642368804395.png

N0
1642368829195.png

Standard non-oem:
1642368873190.png

Probably structure, the foam, extra rubber mass and the compounds.

The OEM spec tyres are most likely a multi-compound mix designed specifically with Tesla engineers for our cars, as the Porsche spec tyres are for Porsche. The standard Michelins you get otherwise will favour longevity and so will be harder, with less of the performance and handling oriented compounds to save cost. In some climates a hard compound focussed tyre can be a good thing, but it all varies.

This is partly why OEM tyres cost more, although many would have you believe it’s a profiteering racket or some other conspiracy 🤷‍♂️

Relevant video: