Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P Post Spring Install Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had Eibachs installed on my M3P today. The shop took it for an alignment but something isn’t right. The car is pulling left. The shop was a Mercedes dealership and 50 minutes from my house. Is there anything special that needs to be done to align these? I called a local place and they said they don’t have specifications for Tesla. Any advice is appreciated.

Nothing special is needed. There are some reports that the system "learns" against bad alignments and driving it for a while with AP off will help get rid of this. Did it pull on your way to the alignment shop after the spring install?

The thing about "pull" is that it's almost always just toe, which doesn't require any knowledge of the desired specs for the car. It just comes from non-balanced left and right toe.

Camber and caster are not adjustable on these cars- so it's not like they are going to be doing much, and you can't expect to hit all the numbers after you lower a car. But if it's not well balanced side to side, something might be up with your spring install.

Most places will align to your specs if you give them. Here's a thread with good Model 3 alignment specs. Ask them to just see if they can hit these:

Reactions: superflyrolla
Nothing special is needed. There are some reports that the system "learns" against bad alignments and driving it for a while with AP off will help get rid of this. Did it pull on your way to the alignment shop after the spring install?

The thing about "pull" is that it's almost always just toe, which doesn't require any knowledge of the desired specs for the car. It just comes from non-balanced left and right toe.

Camber and caster are not adjustable on these cars- so it's not like they are going to be doing much, and you can't expect to hit all the numbers after you lower a car. But if it's not well balanced side to side, something might be up with your spring install.

Most places will align to your specs if you give them. Here's a thread with good Model 3 alignment specs. Ask them to just see if they can hit these:
Thank you for this. Very helpful.

would these specs work for an M3P?

Nothing special is needed. There are some reports that the system "learns" against bad alignments and driving it for a while with AP off will help get rid of this. Did it pull on your way to the alignment shop after the spring install

I tend to believe this - I had weird pulling after getting an alignment that eventually subsided. Tech at SC confirmed there’s something like this going on. At the end of the day, if you want a a perfect alignment, you’ll either have to do it yourself, or pay for it. Most places just get it “in da green” and call it a day. Not good enough for the OCD crowd on here.

Both NTB and Firestone refused to align the car citing a lack of specifications from Tesla.
I think actually they should be citing their own lack of competence. Tesla supplies specs to anybody who asks and most of the alignment machines have a software package in which the specs are downloaded directly without any intervention from the shop. So when the shop is telling you that they don't have specs for a car that's been out for more than three years you should see that as a sign that the shop does not really update their equipment or their software and probably is not a competent shop.

I think actually they should be citing their own lack of competence. Tesla supplies specs to anybody who asks and most of the alignment machines have a software package in which the specs are downloaded directly without any intervention from the shop. So when the shop is telling you that they don't have specs for a car that's been out for more than three years you should see that as a sign that the shop does not really update their equipment or their software and probably is not a competent shop.
Worse yet both NTB and Firestone say they do align the model 3 and the online order form let me place a reservation. NTB told me when I got there they won’t do it. Firestone called me and cancelled.

Worse yet both NTB and Firestone say they do align the model 3 and the online order form let me place a reservation. NTB told me when I got there they won’t do it. Firestone called me and cancelled.
Even though these chain stores are big National franchises I believe each shop has some degree of Independence and maybe partially owned by a local merchant. So there's quite a bit of variability in terms of how each franchise is run, how competently, Etc. There was an NTB Tire that was run in our hometown very competently by an exceptional guy but when he left to go somewhere else it fell apart. They used to align our cars without any issue and then they started telling me that they could no longer do it.

Reactions: clerks
I've always used Tire Choice as mine has done a good job on my prior cars (haven't tried with my Model 3). I drive past it quite often and noticed both a Model Y and Model 3 driving out of the parking lot the other day. I couldn't tell you whether they had an alignment done or maybe they even got turned away too but it may be worth a call. Looks like they are called "Munro" in your area.

Mike

I've always used Tire Choice as mine has done a good job on my prior cars (haven't tried with my Model 3). I drive past it quite often and noticed both a Model Y and Model 3 driving out of the parking lot the other day. I couldn't tell you whether they had an alignment done or maybe they even got turned away too but it may be worth a call. Looks like they are called "Munro" in your area.

Mike
Thanks. Will check it out.