Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P - Slammed Into Curb Hard - Totaled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I have a 2019 Model 3 Performance and was in an accident last week and wanted to get the community’s opinion.

Long story short, took a left turn too hard and lost traction, popped over the curb and scraped against the side wall. Happened late at night with only myself in the car, no injuries but I feel like a complete idiot.

Here’s some pictures:
The back left wheel is what took the majority of the impact, the rim is cracked, the axle appears to be bent inwards and the wheel is at a slight angle. I was able to drive it a 50-100 feet to get it off the sidewalk into a safe spot but it’s definitely undriveable. The left panel around the charging port is dented but the port itself seems ok with the cover still operating fine. There’s also something hanging under the back left wheel well which I’m assuming was bent from the impact.

Got it taken to my nearest approved body shop and I’m waiting till Monday to get it looked at. Any thoughts on if the damage looks repairable from first glance? My big concern is damage to the rear drive unit from the impact which I’m assuming will cause it to be totaled. I purchased the car for around 58k pre-tax but am not sure what to expect in repair costs.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Glad you are ok. Car can be repaired/replaced. Sadly it is an expensive lesson.

Looks pretty bad. The way the quarter panel closed the gap on the rear door doesn't look too good. Will that rear door open?

I imagine the hatch won't open and close easily, but if ok it might not be tweaked too bad. Can't tell what is done internally as well. Looks like coolant is leaking too.

I'd say you are at about 20-25k in damage without knowing more.

Reactions: XPsionic
The lady that was trying to push replacement value was showing me how easy the cars are written off with very little damage due to battery pack replacement costs…here is hoping it is fixable. I am sure you won’t be the last to get some damage to the rear, please let us know what the shop comes back with as I would be interested to know.

That should be an expensive repair if that shop is doing it properly. Proper teardown is the only way to really know what all needs to be repaired and replaced. If they're doing it correctly, even a small nick on an otherwise still functioning part may require full replacement of said part. We've had charge ports, batteries, control arms, etc. with the smallest of scratches and we swap them out for a brand new part. I've also seen that not be the case when customers bring in cars that were repaired elsewhere but still having issues. Be sure the shop isn't just making it easy for insurance to approve their sheet. You deserve a one hundred percent thorough repair. Good luck. Glad you're okay.