Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P smelly aircon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All
Has anyone else had a bad smell develop from the air-conditioning? It dissipates after a few mins.

My car is 10months old. I booked it in for service and was told it would cost $380 to fix.

The service tech said it was because I've driven the car in the rain!!

My Model 3 is almost a year old and started to have a strange smell through the A/C about a month ago. However, it's not consistent. That is, it can be quite bad one day and then absolutely fine for a number of days. Sometimes it's mild and clears quickly.

@Zlat what is the $380 for? Just fitting new filters, or some additional cleaning process?

My car is 10months old. I booked it in for service and was told it would cost $380 to fix.

Just threaten the Australian consumer Law. Tesla falls pretty fast if you threaten the ACCC. No reasonable consumer would expect their less than 1 year old car to smell when the AC is turned on. The fact they issued a software update to help with this is proof positive it's not a "normal occurance".

From memory the fee was for replacement of cabin filters and HVAC clean. (Filters are $50)
Warranty term after installation is 6 months.
I was furious as this can happen twice a year and your up for the cost!

I threatened ACCC and great deal of owners have the same problem, it has to be a design flaw. Nothing worked.

Finally for those that have this issue. If you leave the car in the sun for a couple of hours it happens 100% of the time.

I had this with a previous car (audi) and the advice was to lift the bonnet and spray inside the filter housing with a special odourless spray with the aircon running. Can’t recall what it was but I‘m fairly sure I got it at repco. Worked really well. Only had to do it once. I dislike fake odours in my car so was very mindful of that in using the product.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Hi All
Has anyone else had a bad smell develop from the air-conditioning? It dissipates after a few mins.

The service tech said it was because I've driven the car in the rain!!

Whats the DETAILED estimated as to what they’re “fixing” ?

Replacing air filter is no where near this amount. Anything else would be under warranty as as defect I would EXPECT!

This is a WELL known issue and plenty of USA you tubers have done videos on it..
Here is one:
PreviewPreview12:03How to remove mildew/mold smell from Tesla Model 3 ACYouTube · Evan MichielsSep 6, 2019

You not only need to replace the filters but also need to spray the condenser in the AC unit as otherwise the mildew that has built up on the condenser will quickly take over the new filter as well. Unfortunately I have been unable to find the "Kool-It evaporator cleaner" that even Tesla USA uses for this so I'm not sure what to use should it happen to me..

$380 cost to fix it by Tesla Oz is quite a lot of money so I would personally do it myself. However in the LHD cars the filter happens to be on the passenger side but for us that means it falls on the driver side which will be a royal pain in the ass trying to get to the filter with the brake and accelerator pedals in the way.

If anyone knows where to find an equivalent AC evaporator cleaner spray in Australia please let us know

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Update.
The tech did exactly whats in the youtube videos.
Breakdown of costs - discounted as no hvac cleaning machine was used as I changed to a mobile service call
$108 Labour
$51 new filters
$25 can of Kool-It evaporator
$183 ex
no more smell

I REALLY wish that the 3/Y had the bio hazard had the Bio Hazard filter system. Maybe in 2021/2022.

I actually worse the the recirculate as the breathing of my exhilaration is much worse than the ICE fuses and general water exterior air quality with the subpar 3/S filter system compared to the S:X.

Especially in my specific case based on allergies and health problems.

The 3/Y filter with a s horrible for me compared to the S/X bio weapon filter.

Re-circ is MUCH healthier on 3/Y but I still have to use “above standard” HEPA filter in my 3 to get decent, or actually SAFE air in the car compared to factory even with upgraded filters. So sad.

IQair is the best thing on the market. I have several at the gone and one at the office. They helped my health more than anything else in the last THIRY DECADES. SO SAD!

The bio weapon on my S/C is amazing but since I can’t get it on my 3/Y I have to spend $500+ on the better than HEPA compact IQair just to get decent air in my 3/Y.

Come on MUSK part of an EV is better air. But without Bio Weapon inky 3/Y I might as well have the windows open and use all the ICE exhaust from every other ICE car on the road let along all other other smog / toxins.

STEP UP THE 3/Y filter and add bio weapon MUSK. It’s a $60+ car, and I bought TWO this air but the air SUCKS MAJORITY compared to S/X.

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-2_6-7-29.png
    upload_2020-12-2_6-7-29.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 72
Interesting thing to note, I had this smell in Canberra. Seemed to happen when the weather got colder or hotter i.e using the aircon and not using the aircon. I got it to stop by using the app and running the heater for a few minutes and then the aircon before I got in the car in the first few days of hot weather. Now I live in Queensland it doesn't happen.

Luckily I’ve never had this smell, but I follow advice I read some time ago that you can minimise the risk of this happening by turning the AC off a few minutes before you reach your destination (but leave the fan running). That apparently dries out any latent moisture in the condenser and filters before the car is turned off, so you never get any mould growing.

Seems to do the trick, but it shouldn’t require that kind of manual intervention. I’ve never had that kind of problem in any other car.