Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P Spacer Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After checking into things, I ended up getting a custom set of 8mm spacers made from traverse ridge for the rear wheels on my M3P. In Pa, anything over 8mm is illegal so I stuck with 8. There are not bolt on.
Based on my reading here and elsewhere, the M3P should be able to support up to 8mm spacers due to the increased lug length versus the LR. Just want to be sure I am not subjecting the car to any undue risk of damage. Traverse indicated others are running 8mm without issue although they said 8 is the max. Thanks.

if you are running this on stock wheels, i dont see whats the point of adding 8mm. it is still going to look roughly the same

the difference between P and non-P 3 is about 3mm, your 8mm will be like adding a 5mm to a non-P 3

Lugs are M14x1.5 meaning 1.5mm per turn.
Lugs require 13 turns on the stock P so with an 8mm spacer you'd reduce that to 13 - 8/1.5 = 7.6 Turns.

7.6 threads of engagement equates to 7.6 x 1.5 = 11.5mm of engagement length.

The general rule is to ensure that the thread engagement length is never less than the diameter, 14mm in this case, so you should limit your spacers to no more than 5.5mm. Of course there are better ways to do this (wheels) and worse ways (extended studs or special nuts).

Lugs are M14x1.5 meaning 1.5mm per turn.
Lugs require 13 turns on the stock P so with an 8mm spacer you'd reduce that to 13 - 8/1.5 = 7.6 Turns.

7.6 threads of engagement equates to 7.6 x 1.5 = 11.5mm of engagement length.

The general rule is to ensure that the thread engagement length is never less than the diameter, 14mm in this case, so you should limit your spacers to no more than 5.5mm. Of course there are better ways to do this (wheels) and worse ways (extended studs or special nuts).
Thanks. Traverse indicated 9 turns for the M3P bit based on your math even that is short. I am not running stock wheels and the 8mm spacers do make a difference in appearance. Someone else posted a video of a reputable Tesla shop who indicated 8mm would be ok. But I guess I am concerned enough that I should go in another direction. It’s not worth taking any risk.