Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P Test drive opinion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have been thinking of ordering a Tesla for a while and recently went for a test drive (Primarily to convince the Mrs that its a normal car like any other, but I also had concerns with the ride on the lowered suspension and 20" wheels)

We ran a route with our current car (2018 Octavia Estate) then the same with a M3P. I was pleasantly surprised.
The ride was better than the Skoda (not setting a high benchmark I know) and dealt with potholes and bumps perfectly, infact I wouldnt want anything softer to be fair.

The acceleration was as expected (Bloody fast) but the noise was a bit worrying, it was fine at low speeds but on a motorway cruise it was notably louder than the Octavia (mainly tyre and wind noise). Has anyone tested the long range vs the performance and do the 18" Aeros offer a quiter ride? Also how long are the Pilot Sport tyres on the m3p lasting? We're looking at a 3 year lease and only really fancy changing tyres once (I do around 11k a year).

Side note: After the testdrive we have decided to order the m3 at somepoint this week if anyone has a referral code please let me know :).

We have been thinking of ordering a Tesla for a while and recently went for a test drive (Primarily to convince the Mrs that its a normal car like any other, but I also had concerns with the ride on the lowered suspension and 20" wheels)

We ran a route with our current car (2018 Octavia Estate) then the same with a M3P. I was pleasantly surprised.
The ride was better than the Skoda (not setting a high benchmark I know) and dealt with potholes and bumps perfectly, infact I wouldnt want anything softer to be fair.

The acceleration was as expected (Bloody fast) but the noise was a bit worrying, it was fine at low speeds but on a motorway cruise it was notably louder than the Octavia (mainly tyre and wind noise). Has anyone tested the long range vs the performance and do the 18" Aeros offer a quiter ride? Also how long are the Pilot Sport tyres on the m3p lasting? We're looking at a 3 year lease and only really fancy changing tyres once (I do around 11k a year).

Side note: After the testdrive we have decided to order the m3 at somepoint this week if anyone has a referral code please let me know :).
You have a pm

Test drove a performance last week myself and was highly impressed with the ride comfort (currently have a 4 series with adaptive suspension). Was lesser impressed with the aircon (set temperature and seemed a bit wheezy compared to my BMW) and sound system, albeit I only put the radio on and didn’t mess around with the equaliser settings so, hard to judge (if anyone could offer an opinion against a BMW Harman Kardon that would be great).

I also noticed the wind/tyre noise more at higher speeds but, honestly I think this is exacerbated by the lack of engine ambient noise, once I turned up the stereo volume I soon forgot about it.

Oh and that acceleration....wow, my 440 isn’t slow but, the instant get up and go is something else.

You have a pm
You might like to answer his questions to ‘earn’ that 1000 miles of free supercharging?

Noise? Well it’s quieter than my Audi at speed. But as you say wind noise is prevalent. Look at it dubje timely, and you’ll soon realise the wind noise is so prominent because there’s no engine, turbo, transmission, intake or exhaust noise there. The only thing left is wind and tyres. I still have my old Volvo, which was always softer, quieter, and more comfy than my Audi. I dr9ve that for a few hundred miles last week, and it was like driving an old tractor in comparison to the model 3P

a colleague of mine test drive my P model back to back with a Long range. He didn’t note any difference in noise, but did say the ride was a little softer and more compliant.

as for how long the rubber lasts? I’ve only done 2.5K miles so far, and they seem to be holding up well. If I get 30,000 miles out of them I’ll be surprised, but with a gentle right foot, they’ll probably manage 15 or 18k.

I test drove a Performance then chose AWD LR for several reasons. LR is still super fast - I keep it on chill mode for local driving and only toggle to ‘Standard’ for longer motorway driving. I have found it much quieter than my previous car. So much dependent on road surface for me (hate the concrete roads). Wind noise has not been an issue. Whether you go for P or LR, I’m sure you will love it.

Reactions: Jez_GB
I noticed the wind noise at speed but didn’t particularly think it was any worse than my M4, though the noise there is mostly tyre roar.

That said, there are plenty of noise reduction kits for the Model 3 including additional rubber seal kits as well as the usual panel pads. So there must be a known issue out there. I might look at these after a few weeks with the car. I’ve already order a list of stuff so I’ve promised to stop now before the car comes.

I thought the ride was a bit more compliant than my M4. Didn’t try the sound system though. The general comments on the internet are that the premium version (in the LR and P as standard is really good. I have the HK in my BMW currently which is OK but not as good as the version in the 330D i had previously, which had more punch.

I noticed the wind noise at speed but didn’t particularly think it was any worse than my M4, though the noise there is mostly tyre roar.

That said, there are plenty of noise reduction kits for the Model 3 including additional rubber seal kits as well as the usual panel pads. So there must be a known issue out there. I might look at these after a few weeks with the car. I’ve already order a list of stuff so I’ve promised to stop now before the car comes.

I thought the ride was a bit more compliant than my M4. Didn’t try the sound system though. The general comments on the internet are that the premium version (in the LR and P as standard is really good. I have the HK in my BMW currently which is OK but not as good as the version in the 330D i had previously, which had more punch.
Love the premium sound system. If watching Netflix, it’s like sound at the cinema.

Reactions: Gatsojon