Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P tire question - two blown tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I hope everyone has had a wonderful New Year's day.

I have a 2018 performance+ model 3 with Michelin ps4s 20 inch tires. Last night I had a roadside accident and had two of my tires on the passenger side go completely flat and had to have the car towed. I am traveling and need to stay put until Monday to change tires at a local shop. I have a few questions -

1. Is it safe to change only the two damaged tires? I have about 14k miles on the other two.

My tires are Michelin PS4S 235/35 ZR20 92Y,

and the local shop has the following (and listed as OEM): Michelin PS4S AC 235 /35 R20 92Y XL BSW TE

And they also have
Michelin PS4S 235 /35 R20 92Y XL BSW

I've read in this forum that Tesla spec'ed a specific version of ps4s for their vehicles. Will I be fine with what the shop has and which one should I choose? (kinda of out of options, my other option would be to tow the car 140 miles to a service station)

3. Can I use the existing TPMS sensors when swapping out the tires or do I need to purchase new ones?

Thank you for your help.

Hi, I hope everyone has had a wonderful New Year's day.

I have a 2018 performance+ model 3 with Michelin ps4s 20 inch tires. Last night I had a roadside accident and had two of my tires on the passenger side go completely flat and had to have the car towed. I am traveling and need to stay put until Monday to change tires at a local shop. I have a few questions -

1. Is it safe to change only the two damaged tires? I have about 14k miles on the other two.

My tires are Michelin PS4S 235/35 ZR20 92Y,

and the local shop has the following (and listed as OEM): Michelin PS4S AC 235 /35 R20 92Y XL BSW TE

And they also have
Michelin PS4S 235 /35 R20 92Y XL BSW

I've read in this forum that Tesla spec'ed a specific version of ps4s for their vehicles. Will I be fine with what the shop has and which one should I choose? (kinda of out of options, my other option would be to tow the car 140 miles to a service station)

3. Can I use the existing TPMS sensors when swapping out the tires or do I need to purchase new ones?

Thank you for your help.

Can they repair the tire? If not, put the 2 older ones in the front and put the new ones in the rear. Its probably best to use the one listed as OEM (does TE stand for Tesla?). Also, have them just swap out the TPMS sensor from your old tires...i'm on my 3rd set and just have used the ones that came with the car.

#1. You need to measure the tread depth on the two good tires. If they have 6/32" or more, they'll be fine. Less than that, they're over half way worn, and I'd replace them. If you replace two, put the two new tires on the rear.

#2. The OE Michelin tire is a 235/35ZR20 92Y XL TO. The TO designation is Tesla Acoustic Tech(foam inside liner for noise reduction)
I am not aware of a TE designation tire you mentioned. Maybe they meant TO.
The BSW Michelin is a non OE(without foam liner) designation tire. Michelin makes this tire in TO(Tesla) designation and NO(Porsche) designation.
The Michelin part # for the TO tire is 49531. The non OE designation(without foam liner) BSW is 33211.
Either tire will work fine, the non TO designation will be louder due to no foam liner.

#3. Unless the TPMS is damaged inside the wheel, you should not have to replace it.

Reactions: jmaddr
Yep, fine to replace only 2. They'll put both new tires on the rear axle per standard procedure.

"ZR" is an obsolete marking that's now meaningless so they'll sometimes just simplify the description with "R".
"BSW" means that the tires are Black, particularly on their Side Walls.
"92" or higher is the proper load rating for your car: 1389 lbs.
"Y" is the 186mph speed rating which is adequately above your car's maximum of 162mph.

Don't know what "AC" or "TE" are but @BadTrainDriver is correct that there are only 3 variants of this tire and all are fine.

Reactions: BadTrainDriver
Thank you all for the great feedback.

I'm traveling and there's no SC here, and out of all the tire shops here only Discount Tire can get the tires in within the next few days. Tire Rack did have the option of ordering the T0 variant but they are backordered until February. According to some online listings AC means Acoustic Tech, but I'll have to verify with the tire shop.

Thank you again!

Reactions: tm1v2
Thank you all for the great feedback.

I'm traveling and there's no SC here, and out of all the tire shops here only Discount Tire can get the tires in within the next few days. Tire Rack did have the option of ordering the T0 variant but they are backordered until February. According to some online listings AC means Acoustic Tech, but I'll have to verify with the tire shop.

Thank you again!
Make sure to get the T0 spec tires if you are only replacing two of them. The T0 spec PS4S is constructed differently AND has a wider tread patch.

The T0 spec tire:

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 4.53.31 PM.png

And the non-T0 spec tire:

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 4.53.56 PM.png

Make sure to get the T0 spec tires if you are only replacing two of them. The T0 spec PS4S is constructed differently AND has a wider tread patch.

The T0 spec tire:

View attachment 751584

And the non-T0 spec tire:

View attachment 751585
Thank you; they don't have the T0 specs unfortunately, not much of an option at this point. I don't think the SC also uses T0 necessarily. That said, the variant that ends with AC, even though it's not marked T0, appears to have acoustic tech / foam in it. So notwithstanding thread depth, appears very similar to stock.

All that said, tire shop said I have two bent wheels and the tires may be okay after all. Only issue is they don't have the Tesla 20 inch wheels and the closest SC also doesn't have them.

Discount Tire is saying they have a supplier that sells refurbished used Tesla wheels for $560 a piece and will take several days to arrive, or I can get third party wheels (TSW Sebring) that they have in stock for $350 a piece and replace all four. Any feedback on the TSW Sebring and whether it might not fit on a 2018 M3P? (looking at TSW Sebring 20" with a 40 offset) Are these ones going to fit alright on a M3P? Will I be able to put the stock Michelin ps4s on them?

What town are you in? Maybe a local wheel repair or powdercoat shop can bang your wheels back straight enough to get you home?

These wheels are commonly available on eBay, and occasionally on Facebook Marketplace or the TMC classifieds as well, but you'll be stuck there for a week by the time you do all the shopping and shipping.
I'm in Panama City Beach, Florida. Discount Tire was saying the bending on the wheels were severe so the chances of them could crack while being repaired are high - they're highly rated in reviews so I'm inclined on believing them. The local wheel repair shop wanted pictures (which I don't have) or to take the wheels to them (which I can't since car is disabled and I'd need to tow it one more time).

I've looked into FB classifieds but the issue like you said is the time it takes to ship, and I'm slightly apprehensive about chances of things being a scam etc, or the used wheels being already damaged.