Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P to Plaid - some thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you. I am making the change myself. I previously went from an P85DL to the P3D and was thrilled with a smaller car, more nimble and better in every way. Perviously most of my cars have been smaller, e.g. Porsche 911 and others. When I ordered the Plaid I really questioned my sanity to go back to a BIG car. My spouse has asked repeatedly if I really know what I'm doing, since we ahem zero need for a bigger car. I was sold on ANC, torque vectoring, the interior, yoke and range (19" so 396 miles!). I really did not care too much about spectacular acceleration or top speed. I do like the idea of probable better efficiency than in my P3D.

Of course I haven't yet taken delivery, but mine is slowly wending its way from Fremont to Miami. Soon I'll be stating my own opinions.

Thanks again. This comparison is very valuable.
Similar self "rationale" here.... Lest us not forget the extra $100,000 we have to throw in (along with our 3s) for the Plaid.

Similar self "rationale" here.... Lest us not forget the extra $100,000 we have to throw in (along with our 3s) for the Plaid.
From all I can see, it seems probable that almost all the Plaid buyers do not really have tight budgets. It's not the result to actual data because we have none, and at this point Tesla doesn't share owner demographics.

I actually prefer the 2nd Gen Model S fascia over the new Plaid bumper - but even still, the S is far better looking than the 3 in my opinion.

Oh man, come to south texas and you'll change your mind on that one. I know queensland gets warm, but not nuclear.

I live in north queenslands coast. The temp chart only tells you half the story and fooled me too. It never gets much above 32C here in summer but the real killer is the humidity. I actually had my car delivered when I was for a few months in the outback where in summer its 45-47C (116F) everyday during daytime and above 30C at night. This felt WAY better/cooler. The other difference to the USA is that the australian sunlight has way more UV load - you can really feel the intensity of the sun here unlike in the USA.

I am actually going to move 1000km south next year which has pretty much the same climate as Houston. Looking forward to having at least a small winter again (by australian winter standards).

That said it is always important to be grateful for what you have - no matter how hot we think it gets, nothing is as bad as the middle east. They have australian outback temperatures but everything at high humidity like the coast. completely nuts.

And yeah cooled seats are niceish but even in direct sunlight if you cool the cabin 10min before you get in the car it is completely fine. I do have white seat protectors which probably make a big difference too. If the car is under a roof its also ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
My 3P is much smaller and more tossable, the S is big and luxurious. Neither are a 911 on the track, but both are still fun. I prefer the smaller 3, my wife much prefers the luxury and refinement of our S. After having been a Porsche fanatic all my life, I must say, Porsche, there is now a substitute. Sold all my porsches except a purpose built track car and would not even consider one for the street. Both the 3P and the S are better than the 911 or Taycan for a lot less money.

My 3P is much smaller and more tossable, the S is big and luxurious. Neither are a 911 on the track, but both are still fun. I prefer the smaller 3, my wife much prefers the luxury and refinement of our S. After having been a Porsche fanatic all my life, I must say, Porsche, there is now a substitute. Sold all my porsches except a purpose built track car and would not even consider one for the street. Both the 3P and the S are better than the 911 or Taycan for a lot less money.
Do you have a plaid or refreshed S?

Having had some more wheel time with my Plaid (coming from the 3P), the Plaid is a nicer place to be - this isn't arguable. It's more spacious front and rear, it's quieter, it doesn't crash over bumps like the 3P did. It's also the very first car I've ever owned, as a tall (6'5" driver) where I can fold the rear seats without moving the front seat forward!

That out of the way, there's no question the Plaid is a much heavier car. You feel it in every way. The 3P was tossable on corners. The Plaid... isn't (but it still corners exceptionally well on the Pilot Sport 4S). The Plaid also builds speed so quickly that braking takes that much more effort, either regen or mechanical.

Oh, and the yoke/signalling is a joke on the Plaid, but we already knew that.

• Informative
There is more to driving than ultimate speed, which is why Miatas are such great cars. They are not fast, just fun. The 3P is much more of a Miata than the Plaid. May not be logical, but it is reality.

I really like the yoke after a month, it gives the car character, like an old Alfa, but it runs. Makes driving fun and special, not just an appliance.

The turn signals and horn, not so great....

Unlikely. Once initial demand is met, Tesla will likely drop the price!
Giving myself a year or two. Here's hoping you're correct.
There is more to driving than ultimate speed, which is why Miatas are such great cars. They are not fast, just fun. The 3P is much more of a Miata than the Plaid. May not be logical, but it is reality.

I really like the yoke after a month, it gives the car character, like an old Alfa, but it runs. Makes driving fun and special, not just an appliance.

The turn signals and horn, not so great....
The Miatas are my Kryptonite! Owned two of them. The 99 was all stock except for the Momo team racing wheel. The 03 was supercharged.
I think they did a great job on the new body style too.

The 3 is more agile and so much smaller. The plaid is so much bigger, quieter and quicker.

Neither are track cars. The 3 is better for city live. The S is way better for highway commuting.

The plaid is the best commuter you can buy in my opinion.

Yeah the 3 is definitely better for city life. That said, I do enjoy the Plaid for its comfort. I just wish I could resist the right pedal urges…