Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P trip mode option?

Lburt

Sep 17, 2019
Delaware
I have a M3P- and have to admit have a hard time keeping my use under 300. I absolutely love the power and response.
I know there is a chill mode but I'm wondering if it would be possible to achieve more efficiency. I'm thinking if there was an option to engage a trip mode that would reduce power and motor use to be similar to rear motor numbers. Also indicators of speed when at optimum speed for range. Perhaps the speed indicators changing colors when going over for efficiency, etc. Anything that would increase range when I want to make a long trip. I know speed is a big factor in this, but an option like this would help with all the people that can't figure out how to get the range advertised....
Thoughts?

ewoodrick

Apr 13, 2018
Buford, GA
Optimum speed is about 30 mph. Optimum speed when travelling is around 70 mph (includes charging).

Fast starts aren't great, but speed is your biggest enemy around town. Go above 60 mph and the efficiency drops below the EPA numbers.

AhwatukeeDad

Jun 30, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
You are still carrying the weight of the front motor...

I have a 3P+ with the big wheels and sticky tires. Real world range is probably 250. We took a trip from Phoenix to San Diego this past July (105+ for most of trip). I didn’t worry about range because we were just governed by the supercharger stops along the way.

I played with driving in chill for awhile but that really didn’t give me a ton more range and I lost the safety of the full power.

I just charge when I am sleeping and don’t worry about the range. It is about the same range as the Miata I had so I amused to shorter legs.

isn’t the 3P a hoot?

ambudriver03

Oct 26, 2019
Downey or Scottsdale
I rented a P3D+ (M3P) on Turo last month, and drove between Los Angeles and Phoenix (and a day trip to Sedona); and my wh/mi was 315... I was not driving very efficiently, and realistically got about 250 miles before I was legitimately in need to stop and charge (went from Downtown to Cabazon, then topped up in Indio before heading up the hill, charging at Quartzsite and cruising into phoenix on 'fumes'. (didn't have charging set-up yet at destination, so had to spend another 30m at a 72kw urban charger in phoenix... ((Camelback... ugh, hated that place))

It realistically took me about 1 hour longer than if I had been driving an ICE car, but the fact that I had left Los Angeles on a Friday afternoon, it took me 8h of driving, and 1h of charging...

I placed an order for a Performance back on 10/13 and Hopefully am pretty close to taking delivery.

(I drive back and forth between Los Angeles and Scottsdale about every month)

ambudriver03

Oct 26, 2019
Downey or Scottsdale
Downtown LA to Scottsdale to Payson to Sedona and back to Downtown, 1190 miles and 315wh/mi average.

20191017_192734.jpg

Scottsdale to Downtown LA (about 430mi); averaged 312wh/mi, so fairly consistent, but on the way home I was going 80mph on average (excluding charge stops)

20191017_192717.jpg

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC