Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P - tyre choices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I did a search in this on the forum and didn’t get anything really useful. I recon that my rears will be up for replacement in about three months. I’ve been looking at
goodyear.svg

qjNTkTCaG1wC7gSFNHZDuEBANrLNHI1bOjuowNbR.jpeg

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 88Y N0

I notice they are rated at 67db, quieter than many others and am tempted to go with these. I did have them on my Lexus IS200 and liked them. Any thoughts?

Paul

Reactions: WarpedOne
Hi all,

I did a search in this on the forum and didn’t get anything really useful. I recon that my rears will be up for replacement in about three months. I’ve been looking at
goodyear.svg

I notice they are rated at 67db, quieter than many others and am tempted to go with these. I did have them on my Lexus IS200 and liked them. Any thoughts?

Paul

The model 2 is the old version, have a look for new one.
Also theres the efficient grip performance 5

Tyre noise is one of my few gripes with the car, maybe I was expecting too much, maybe it's because your more aware of it as there is no engine. I find the Tesla the most pronounced sound difference between surfaces I've ever had in a car, on new smooth tarmac it's great but on worn roads I find it noisy. I was also looking at the Goodyears due to the low noise figure, I'm surprised they are lower considering the Michelins have acoustic foam. Costco are just over £200 for the Tesla spec PS4S, around £150 for the Goodyears, will be a long time before mine are worn enough to change but will consider Goodyears when the time comes, would like to hear anyone's opinion that has changed to them.

Hi all,

goodyear.svg

Paul
How many miles have you got out of your original fronts / rears?

I've just put a set of Michelin Primacy 4 on my Nissan Leaf.

They have excellent reviews, great rolling resistance, wet weather grip and very low noise.

They also have rim bead protection. If they live upto the hype, I will fit them on our Teslas

Hi all,

goodyear.svg

Paul

The Goodyear has poor rolling resistance compared to others

I've just put a set of Michelin Primacy 4 on my Nissan Leaf.

We had Primacy 3 at one stage on our previous vehicle. We reverted back to the OEM Conti's as the Primacys didn't last as well (iirc around 20% less miles). Can't vouch for other features other than to say economy was indistinguishable but they were on a family estate so case of 'its a premium tyre' nothing more, nothing less.

The model 2 is the old version, have a look for new one.
Also theres the efficient grip performance 5
Correct, the 2’s are likely to be 4-5 years old as they were discontinued a while ago. I nearly bought some for my other car and wondered why they were being sold so cheap. The advert should have the DOT number details which will confirm this. Some people have no problem fitting old tyres, but as they are rubber then they perish over time.

We had Primacy 3 at one stage on our previous vehicle. We reverted back to the OEM Conti's as the Primacys didn't last as well (iirc around 20% less miles). Can't vouch for other features other than to say economy was indistinguishable but they were on a family estate so case of 'its a premium tyre' nothing more, nothing less.

That's what I found, the Primacy 3 didn't get quite as good performance reviews. Time will tell.

They are very quiet compared to the original set

Our Nissan's original tyre Dunlop Enasave EC300 lasted just short of 50k miles on the front set. I would normally rotate tyres if showing early wear, but these just didn't show much wear until late 30k miles

I buy 4 being offered a discount which means i buying only 3 tyres

Correct, the 2’s are likely to be 4-5 years old as they were discontinued a while ago. I nearly bought some for my other car and wondered why they were being sold so cheap. The advert should have the DOT number details which will confirm this. Some people have no problem fitting old tyres, but as they are rubber then they perish over time.

They do still make them new so they won't all be old rubber but will be older tech design so to speak. This is because they don't make all of the sizes available for the new version.

They do still make them new so they won't all be old rubber but will be older tech design so to speak. This is because they don't make all of the sizes available for the new version.
When buying some Asymmetric 2’s for a car last year, I found they were produced in 2016 by checking the DOT code. Annoyingly they were advertised as new, no mention of old stock which many companies now disclose. I contacted Goodyear who confirmed they’d not made that model for quite a while as they had been superseded by the 3 and the more current 5. I sent them back and got a full refund (Tyreleader). Maybe it was size specific?