Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P VS BMW I4 M50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get about 220 miles from my M3P and am in the process of swapping it for the BMW if that helps in anyway. I find the Tesla is not special enough and the absence of any interior noise, well, its a bit bland. Then you look at the build quality and interior. The seats aren't nice enough, same as all the other models, the software is good but I want a HUD and I'd like a speedo. Its a nice enough car, just not as nice in everything that matters to me as the BMW.
What year / build date M3P? How long have you had it? Come back and give us your thoughts once you've put some miles on the i4.

But don't badges also add hp?

I just re counted the number of factory installed ///M badges on my wifes 2019 X3 M40. I remember doing this when we got the car, and I was talking about how many there were of those, on one of the BMW forums I was on.

I count 13 factory installed ///M 's on my wifes car above:

(4) one on each rim (her car has optional 21 inch rims only available on the Msport model
(4) one on each caliper cover
(2) driver and passenger door sills
(1) Steering wheel
(1) Start up animation (tach / speedo display area)
(1) Center console (///M plate on the center console, by the factory wireless charging)

This is a "Msport" model, but on the X3s at least the "M sport" model does come with a factory tune for more horsepower than the "regular" model, so its not a pure appearance package, but, I still think my wifes X3 might have more ///M's than a factory X3M.. and it came this way from the factory. We ordered this from the factory so it has every option we wanted (which was all of them).

I get about 220 miles from my M3P and am in the process of swapping it for the BMW if that helps in anyway. I find the Tesla is not special enough and the absence of any interior noise, well, its a bit bland. Then you look at the build quality and interior. The seats aren't nice enough, same as all the other models, the software is good but I want a HUD and I'd like a speedo. Its a nice enough car, just not as nice in everything that matters to me as the BMW.

Well, thanks for popping back in and registering a new, second account, just to tell us :D

whats the AP like in the BMW? Like for me the lane keep assist AP is pretty important because I do 1000km+ drives on boring, exhausting country lanes which AP can drive 99% itself so it frees you up a little bit.

Great video, BMW did well, that's what I'd call a "driver's race" (for as much driver interaction is involved ...), or at least, dependent on the current charge, tire temps, etc.

M3P has a better 0-40/50/60, and I was surprised at how hard it hit from the 30MPH roll. The BMW is strong up top, the last 1/8 of the 1/4, or closer from a 50MPH roll, eventually catching up on the top end again.

I was wondering if the M3P mods included any suspension work, as the shocks/squat/weight transfer can affect the launch (also the tire spec). That front end and wheel setup looks great, the spoiler and side winglets are kind of "noisy".

Like I said earlier in this thread, I dig on the whole Tesla package more, including the exterior design, and at least for now, for me, the charging network is the deal breaker.

I was curious so I did a build on an i4 M50, tried to option it like my M3P (added a couple of things, same color), about $11K more in the US.

Looks like the cars are very close in acceleration, that's pretty much what I expected from BMW's published specs. (No Mach-E GT PE style disappointment, yay! ;))

Just a guess: the i4 M50 might have slightly taller drive ratios than the M3P. Seems like a reasonable tradeoff, especially for a German car where I assume fast autobahn driving is a selling point.

If Tesla had offered slightly taller drive ratios on the M3P to trade a little 0-60 for some top end, I probably would've checked that option (at least if no cost change). We all know Tesla loves their 0-60 numbers though. :) Glad to see the i4 M50 is shaping up to be a legit M3P competitor and street performance EV. It might not be raising the performance bar overall, but it's clearly playing on the same field, and presumably with more cruising refinement for those who want that - at the cost of an extra 1000 lbs and some extra $$$ of course. (I'm actually really happy with my 2021 M3P's refinement, Tesla has made big strides in that regard since the early Model 3, but I can only assume the BMW's extra 1000 lbs are from it having, well, modern BMW level refinement.)

Now I'm wondering how the i4 M50 power will hold up with continuous hard driving, lower SoC levels, etc. And just as importantly...how does it feel to drive? Can it compete with the M3P on feeling nimble and tossable and fun around turns despite the extra weight? I'm hopeful, though the last 3-series I drove was a complete disappointment in that regard (F30) compared to older ones I've driven (E90, E46, E36).

Last edited:
It appears that Tesla is a '19 with ~21K miles, they have what appears to be the same car posted on the AMT UK site (aftermarket chrome blackout kit) and the description indicates - in addition to the obviously visible mods - it has a "Suspension Lowering System".

Not that it really means a whole lot, I was just curious about the company, then saw the car. :)

Looks like the cars are very close in acceleration, that's pretty much what I expected from BMW's published specs. (No Mach-E GT PE style disappointment, yay! ;))

Just a guess: the i4 M50 might have slightly taller drive ratios than the M3P. Seems like a reasonable tradeoff, especially for a German car where I assume fast autobahn driving is a selling point.

If Tesla had offered slightly taller drive ratios on the M3P to trade a little 0-60 for some top end, I probably would've checked that option (at least if no cost change). We all know Tesla loves their 0-60 numbers though. :) Glad to see the i4 M50 is shaping up to be a legit M3P competitor and street performance EV. It might not be raising the performance bar overall, but it's clearly playing on the same field, and presumably with more cruising refinement for those who want that - at the cost of an extra 1000 lbs and some extra $$$ of course. (I'm actually really happy with my 2021 M3P's refinement, Tesla has made big strides in that regard since the early Model 3, but I can only assume the BMW's extra 1000 lbs are from it having, well, modern BMW level refinement.)

Now I'm wondering how the i4 M50 power will hold up with continuous hard driving, lower SoC levels, etc. And just as importantly...how does it feel to drive? Can it compete with the M3P on feeling nimble and tossable and fun around turns despite the extra weight? I'm hopeful, though the last 3-series I drove was a complete disappointment in that regard (F30) compared to older ones I've driven (E90, E46, E36).

Indeed. When you buy a BMW i.e. in Australia they often also do a shortened final drive ratio which improves acceleration on the bottom end a little bit and reduces top speed. But noone needs hammerhard acceleration here from 120 to 150km/h as those speeds during business hours will quickly end up giving you a big fine and points. Unlike lets say the UK where limit is also 110 but people will frequently travel at higher speeds.

Reactions: tm1v2 and Sporty
Doesn't a stock tesla m3p do like 11.7s quarter mile?

Quicker than that...

MT has it running 11.5 in the 1/4 (and there's numerous Dragy verified results in the 11.3x range... quickest is an 11.34, our own magnus mako at 11.36, an australian at 11.37, another member (Sam1) at 11.39- then tons of 3Ps in the 11.4x range)

Yup I think the jury is very much still out for which is faster down the 1/4, stock for stock, both similar mileage/age, with proper conditioning of each. Just as the Carwow folks themselves admitted, the bodywork on that M3P almost certainly killed its c/d, which I bet makes a significant difference for cars this fast and closely matched in the 1/4.

I also didn't catch them talking about exact SoC, battery temps, etc and I've learned here how much difference that stuff can make. Of course for all I know they left a lot on the table with the BMW too, not trying to say they shortchanged one car over the other. Given lack of other instrumented tests of the i4 still I bet they had minimal time to get this setup.

But the real story is the i4 M50 is playing in the same ballpark at least, could possibly be quicker by 1/4 or at higher speeds, or not, but either way it's shaping up to be real competition.

Just for fun, I'm looking forward to some proper 3 way track tests of latest M3P, i4 M50, and the Polestar 2 (Performance) with its new acceleration boost option. These new EV battles should be a lot more entertaining than watching the Mach-E GT PE get slaughtered due to Ford's thermal throttling fiasco.

Reactions: Sporty
Yup I think the jury is very much still out for which is faster down the 1/4, stock for stock, both similar mileage/age, with proper conditioning of each. Just as the Carwow folks themselves admitted, the bodywork on that M3P almost certainly killed its c/d, which I bet makes a significant difference for cars this fast and closely matched in the 1/4.

I also didn't catch them talking about exact SoC, battery temps, etc and I've learned here how much difference that stuff can make. Of course for all I know they left a lot on the table with the BMW too, not trying to say they shortchanged one car over the other. Given lack of other instrumented tests of the i4 still I bet they had minimal time to get this setup.

But the real story is the i4 M50 is playing in the same ballpark at least, could possibly be quicker by 1/4 or at higher speeds, or not, but either way it's shaping up to be real competition.

Just for fun, I'm looking forward to some proper 3 way track tests of latest M3P, i4 M50, and the Polestar 2 (Performance) with its new acceleration boost option. These new EV battles should be a lot more entertaining than watching the Mach-E GT PE get slaughtered due to Ford's thermal throttling fiasco.

The issue with the i4 is that its not a real ev. Its a retrofitted gas car and as such has stupid *sugar* like a driveshaft and no frunk.

The issue with the i4 is that its not a real ev. Its a retrofitted gas car and as such has stupid *sugar* like a driveshaft and no frunk.
Oh that is stupid. That's a huge area under that big tall hood to have no frunk, even for a dual motor car.

I assumed it had its batteries in the driveshaft tunnel like a Polestar 2, I actually like that about the P2 because it leaves more vertical space for a higher, more comfortable back seat without compromising headroom. Much better than Model 3 back seat to me.

But now I'm reading the i4 has the worst of both layouts...batteries under your feet AND a residual driveshaft tunnel? 😂 BMW are you serious? You were playing a real EV game when you launched the i3 even if it wasn't my cup of tea. You can do better than this.

Then again the i4 is a hatchback/fastback like the P2, right? That's worth a solid 0.5 sec in the quarter mile to me. 😁

Reactions: Anothergeek
Oh that is stupid. That's a huge area under that big tall hood to have no frunk, even for a dual motor car.

I assumed it had its batteries in the driveshaft tunnel like a Polestar 2, I actually like that about the P2 because it leaves more vertical space for a higher, more comfortable back seat without compromising headroom. Much better than Model 3 back seat to me.

But now I'm reading the i4 has the worst of both layouts...batteries under your feet AND a residual driveshaft tunnel? 😂 BMW are you serious? You were playing a real EV game when you launched the i3 even if it wasn't my cup of tea. You can do better than this.

Then again the i4 is a hatchback/fastback like the P2, right? That's worth a solid 0.5 sec in the quarter mile to me. 😁

i4 is almost a 2+2 as its just a 4 series.... so like over 2cm less legroom than the model 3. and that really counts as even the 3 has hardly any to start with (a really annoying design decision i will never understand. The whole car should have been just made 2-3cm longer)

i really tried to like the i4 but the whole gas car conversion thing is a really pathetic.

I shouldn't rag on the i4's ICE packaging so much. If the EV drivetrain holds up well - and so far so good in that 1/4 mile video - I'd take it over the Mach-E GT with its native EV packaging (good) and thermal issues (ugh). EV packaging is a missed opportunity but there's more important things for a sporty car.

Plus anyone coming from an ICE BMW won't miss what they never had (frunk, flat floor). Even if the i4 doesn't push EV boundaries like Tesla has, as long as it converts more ICE drivers to EV then I'm happy it's coming to the market. The sooner our cities and neighborhoods are mostly free of ICE pollution the better.

Last edited: